Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM

I'm not a lawyer, but I've read that fair use prohibits copying and pasting an entire news article. An excerpt of a few paragraphs would probably be all right.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:17 AM

My daughter has lived in Madrid for 5 years and shows no signs of returning. She’s a cyclist, and works for Endless.cc. I’ve been over to visit for extended periods including some cycling trips. My wife and I are thinking of retiring in Spain. IME, there are many great little towns for cyclists that don’t get the attention (or command the prices) that Girona does. Even in very small towns, we would see old guy group rides in full kits. And from what I saw, drivers are more respectful to cyclists, maybe because cycling is a major sport that more people participate in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I'm willing to be wrong. But I don't think I am. Please show me exactly within the context of the Fair Use Doctrine, where citing an article in its entirety is explicitly forbidden.

Also, I myself am not profiting from the use of the article. My reading is that would be the determining factor, rather than the Paceline itself. Please explain if my reading is legally incorrect.
If there are any other Forum members with a legal background, please feel free to weigh in. I have a huge respect for both professional journalism and the law.
I think Flash is correct in this case. Bits of the article are fine. In its entirety isn't.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
My daughter has lived in Madrid for 5 years and shows no signs of returning. She’s a cyclist, and works for Endless.cc.
That's really cool.

Had not heard of endless.cc - some pretty nice stuff there!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
But in determining whether the use meets that criteria, the section lists four factors that need to be considered, the first of which is the purpose and character of the copyrighted work’s use, in particular whether the use is of a commercial or nonprofit educational purpose.[/B]
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107

You left out the last 3 factors.

Quote:
(1)the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2)the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3)the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4)the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
In particular, 3 & 4.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That's really cool.

Had not heard of endless.cc - some pretty nice stuff there!

Of course I have a few of their kits and like them a lot. According to my daughter—their stuff is made in the same Italian fábricas as the other high end brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM
Administrator

it's probably not a big deal to have posted here since it's a single thread on a not for profit site intended for discussion of the topic at hand.

no one here is making any money off of it's posting and i doubt WSJ has lost any profit due to its posting here.

anyway - let's move on....
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Sorry to contradict Angry, but per the forum's user agreement...

Quote:
• Copyrights: You may not infringe on others' copyrights. Do not post others' copyrighted photographs or images, and do not cut-and-paste entire articles onto The Paceline Forums. When referencing copyrighted work, post a short excerpt with a link back to the original.
Please edit the posted article down to exerpts with links (even if it's behind a paywall) or this thread will be deleted.

Thank you.

William
Old 01-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to be wrong. But I don't think I am. Please show me exactly within the context of the Fair Use Doctrine, where citing an article in its entirety is explicitly forbidden.

Also, I myself am not profiting from the use of the article. My reading is that would be the determining factor, rather than the Paceline itself. Please explain if my reading is legally incorrect.
If there are any other Forum members with a legal background, please feel free to weigh in. I have a huge respect for both professional journalism and the law.
Your link is not the problem. Reposting the entire article verbatim is.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Sorry to contradict Angry, but per the forum's user agreement...

Please edit the posted article down to exerpts with links (even if it's behind a paywall) or this thread will be deleted.

Thank you.

William
This is good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:54 AM

Slight thread drift here.... As someone who lives at ground zero for the Magnolia "empire", I can relate a little bit to the folk in Girona. Generally, there is no middle ground in Waco with regard to Chip & JoJo; people here either love them or hate them. Angry Scientist's post is also spot on for a lot of people in this area. They like the $$, dislike the tourists.

Magnolia has brought a lot of good to the area (Waco sure needed some positive vibes), and have helped the employment situation, as well - one of my sons works for their company. They employ a lot of people and treat them well. The droves of out of town visitors have made many a local business some nice increases in profits over the years. The Magnolia phenomena has helped stimulate construction of hotels and many improvements to the city - lots of them in the downtown area. They are involved in the community and I've heard they have a philanthropic side, as well.

On the flip side, most locals do not go downtown on weekends due to the congestion/etc. You would have to see it to believe how bad it can get. They have purchased & improved land downtown where the taxes have gone up so dramatically, small businesses close by have had to relocate due to not being able to afford those higher taxes. The Air B&B industry sometimes seems like it's taken Waco over. Everyone wants to come here and stay in a rental close to Magnolia. These are now spreading out into the suburbs, as well. Seems like city council won't deny any zoning request for that. Houses in the low-income areas of downtown are being purchased for rentals, home values in those areas then increase (since now 50% of houses on the block are really nice) and the remaining locals can't afford to live there any more. This boom has spurred the city on to do some renovation projects of their own, and invite higher-end businesses to locate in those areas, and now the word "gentrification" is being thrown around a lot. Magnolia gets a lot of TIF money for their projects, and some locals believe what they get combined with what is given to other projects/entities has grown to the extent that it's, in part, responsible for a dramatic rise home value appraisals - and the resulting higher taxes. Don't know if this is 100% true, but it's a theory that's tossed around quite a bit. But that's a separate discussion, and I'm not super knowledgeable in those matters anyway.

Personally, I'm one of the few in the middle on this. Glad for the benefits, and not real excited about the other stuff that comes with it, but realistic in that it's all a package deal. Sometimes difficult to have one without the other, or you have to take the good with the bad. A lot depends upon the local government and what they're willing to do. So while I get what the folks in Girona are saying, and can comiserate, if they put a stop to it a lot of the benefits related to the current situation might go away as well.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 01-20-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:55 AM

My buddy is headed there this May. I read the article seems like it’s a cake and eat it too / gentrification kind of article. Glad people are profiting from cycling. Sorry others are pissed.....
Old 01-20-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Slight thread drift here.... As someone who lives at ground zero for the Magnolia "empire", I can relate a little bit to the folk in Girona. Generally, there is no middle ground in Waco with regard to Chip & JoJo; people here either love them or hate them. Angry Scientist's post is also spot on for a lot of people in this area. They like the $$, dislike the tourists.

Magnolia has brought a lot of good to the area (Waco sure needed some positive vibes), and have helped the employment situation, as well - one of my sons works for their company. They employ a lot of people and treat them well. The droves of out of town visitors have made many a local business some nice increases in profits over the years. The Magnolia phenomena has helped stimulate construction of hotels and many improvements to the city - lots of them in the downtown area.

On the flip side, most locals do not go downtown on weekends due to the congestion/etc. You would have to see it to believe how bad it can get. Some of Magnolia's special events are so huge that the majority of the downtown is, for all practical purposes, shut down. They have purchased & improved land downtown where the taxes have gone up so dramatically, small businesses close by have had to relocate due to not being able to afford those higher taxes. The Air B&B industry sometimes seems like it's taken Waco over. Everyone wants to come here and stay in a rental close to Magnolia. These are now spreading out into the suburbs, as well. City council won't deny any zoning request for short term rental property, even if neighbors are against it. Houses in the low-income areas of downtown are being purchased for rentals, all home values then increase (since now 50% of houses on the block are really nice) and the remaining locals can't afford to live there any more. This boom has spurred the city on to do some renovation projects of their own, and invite higher-end businesses to locate in those areas, and now the word "gentrification" is being thrown around a lot. Magnolia gets a lot of TIF money for their projects, and some locals believe what they get combined with what is given to other projects/entities has grown to the extent that its affected home value appraisals (i.e. they're giving too much away, and have to make up the difference somehow). Don't know if this is 100% true, but it's a theory that's tossed around quite a bit.
But that's a separate discussion.

Personally, I'm one of the few in the middle on this. Glad for the benefits, and not real excited about the other stuff that comes with it, but realistic in that it's all a package deal. Sometimes difficult to have one without the other. A lot depends upon the local government and what they're willing to do. So while I get what the folks in Girona are saying, and can comiserate, if they put a stop to it a lot of the benefits related to the current situation will go away as well.
Actually, this is on topic. Reprinting your quote in full
Old 01-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Magnolia has brought a lot of good to the area (Waco sure needed some positive vibes), and have helped the employment situation, as well - one of my sons works for their company. They employ a lot of people and treat them well. The droves of out of town visitors have made many a local business some nice increases in profits over the years. The Magnolia phenomena has helped stimulate construction of hotels and many improvements to the city - lots of them in the downtown area. They are involved in the community and I've heard they have a philanthropic side, as well.

On the flip side, most locals do not go downtown on weekends due to the congestion/etc. You would have to see it to believe how bad it can get. They have purchased & improved land downtown where the taxes have gone up so dramatically, small businesses close by have had to relocate due to not being able to afford those higher taxes. The Air B&B industry sometimes seems like it's taken Waco over. Everyone wants to come here and stay in a rental close to Magnolia. These are now spreading out into the suburbs, as well. City council won't deny any zoning request for short term rental property, even if neighbors are against it. Houses in the low-income areas of downtown are being purchased for rentals, all home values then increase (since now 50% of houses on the block are really nice) and the remaining locals can't afford to live there any more. This boom has spurred the city on to do some renovation projects of their own, and invite higher-end businesses to locate in those areas, and now the word "gentrification" is being thrown around a lot. Magnolia gets a lot of TIF money for their projects, and some locals believe what they get combined with what is given to other projects/entities has grown to the extent that its affected home value appraisals (i.e. they're giving too much away, and have to make up the difference somehow). Don't know if this is 100% true, but it's a theory that's tossed around quite a bit.
But that's a separate discussion.

Personally, I'm one of the few in the middle on this. Glad for the benefits, and not real excited about the other stuff that comes with it, but realistic in that it's all a package deal. Sometimes difficult to have one without the other. A lot depends upon the local government and what they're willing to do. So while I get what the folks in Girona are saying, and can comiserate, if they put a stop to it a lot of the benefits related to the current situation will go away as well.
Just as long as they don’t screw up West, Texas and their kolaches. Lots of industries and people are moving to Texas. Demographics are changing in that state. I think higher taxes and more regulations are coming along with lots of Californians with money to jack up home prices...
Old 01-20-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:

On the flip side, most locals do not go downtown on weekends due to the congestion/etc. You would have to see it to believe how bad it can get. They have purchased & improved land downtown where the taxes have gone up so dramatically, small businesses close by have had to relocate due to not being able to afford those higher taxes. The Air B&B industry sometimes seems like it's taken Waco over. Everyone wants to come here and stay in a rental close to Magnolia. These are now spreading out into the suburbs, as well. Seems like city council won't deny any zoning request for that. Houses in the low-income areas of downtown are being purchased for rentals, home values in those areas then increase (since now 50% of houses on the block are really nice) and the remaining locals can't afford to live there any more. This boom has spurred the city on to do some renovation projects of their own, and invite higher-end businesses to locate in those areas, and now the word "gentrification" is being thrown around a lot. Magnolia gets a lot of TIF money for their projects, and some locals believe what they get combined with what is given to other projects/entities has grown to the extent that it's, in part, responsible for a dramatic rise home value appraisals - and the resulting higher taxes. Don't know if this is 100% true, but it's a theory that's tossed around quite a bit. But that's a separate discussion, and I'm not super knowledgeable in those matters anyway.

Personally, I'm one of the few in the middle on this. Glad for the benefits, and not real excited about the other stuff that comes with it, but realistic in that it's all a package deal. Sometimes difficult to have one without the other, or you have to take the good with the bad. A lot depends upon the local government and what they're willing to do. So while I get what the folks in Girona are saying, and can comiserate, if they put a stop to it a lot of the benefits related to the current situation might go away as well.
I remember hearing that Team Shiplap is bringing in something like 7,000 visitors a week now to Waco? That's pretty wild and I can imagine that kind of surge brings a real strain on local resources.