Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 06:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Thank you Chris King

I have to be honest, I have never really been into CK stuff. I know a few people that are obsessed but I just never got it. Don't get me wrong, the stuff is excellent, headsets, BBs, hubs, all amazing but there is always cane creek, white industries, dt swiss, ect. I have had the hubs and they were beautiful but was not a fan of the sounds. Have had many head sets (they always came with the frame) and they always been flawless and look good. But so do the stuff from other brands.

A friend had a Cielo and always loved that bike. The sportif, black with pink accents, long reach brakes, just proper. Found a cielo base racer on ebay. Nice color, etap, bought it. The frame is just excellent and the attention to detail was fantastic. I know why they probably did not sell a lot of them, they were expensive but damn, are they nice. The paint alone is as good as anything I have ever seen. Polished details. The stem is a work of art.

Anyways, I am now rambling.

Last week I got in a little accident on that same bike. Bike is fine for the most part but the RD was a bit bent, the hanger had seen better days. I probably could bend it back (and I ended up doing it) but really wanted to get a hold of another hanger since, well, bike is no longer made. The hanger might be a paragon hanger but it has this nice "cielo" engraving on it. I messaged CK, super prompt and asked for a picture of the hanger so they could make sure they had it. I was ready to pay for it but he said, we will send it to you tomorrow. Then 2 days later its waiting for me at home, they sent fedex express from PDX to NY. The bike was not even purchased from them.

I now get why people like CK so much. Customer service is excellent and so is everything they sell. Oh, that bike also has a ceramic T47 BB which is also EXCELLENT. They also now offer life time warranty on their headsets which is also fantastic.

Its funny how a little thing goes a long way. I have dealt with some bike companies that could give a crap (not talking about smaller brands but brands like enve, which will not see a penny from me). CK is on my awesome list now and will be my number 1 for head sets and BBs (and they should bring the Cielos back)
Old 01-19-2020, 07:35 PM

Couldn't agree more. I am a King guy for life. Great experiences with hubs, headsets, a Cielo, customer service with a broken Cielo, etc.

People make fun when they see some bling but the quality, longevity, and warranty make them the conservative choice.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:07 PM

CK hooked me up on a replacement piece a while back. No questions asked, they even paid for shipping. Impressive customer service.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:12 PM
Deconditioned!

+1

They are good peeps. I live in Portland. They do great community events, etc.

I had some issues with a hub (my issue). I showed up there, unannounced. Shot the bull for 5 minutes and left with small parts I needed (about $40), gratis.

Good dudes and dudettes there!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

yeah I paid nothing, I gave my address and it was at my door. Really wonderful experience.

Not to mention last time I messaged them about the paint code for my bike and they messaged me quickly without the info.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM

I met Chris King at VeloCult one night. Didn't even know it was him. I was just having a trippy international foodie conversation with a like minded guy, and whaddya know.......

Great guy.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Barely Hanging On

I remember when integrated headset first came out and thinking that I didn't like them because you couldn't have a CK integrated headset (at that time).
Old 01-19-2020, 08:38 PM

Bought by Cielo Road Racer frame/fork and headset direct from CK. Customer service was top notch.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Great Products
Great Customer Service
Great Warranty

What more could you ask for?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Great Products

Great Customer Service

Great Warranty

What more could you ask for?
Quieter freehubs....

But seriously though, I appreciate them for what they do - and their open house has become a new annual handmade bike show for Portland and the PNW.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Quieter freehubs....
Bzzzz Bzzzzz

I love the buzzzz

I'm also a CK fan

Old 01-19-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Bzzzz Bzzzzz

I love the buzzzz

I'm also a CK fan

Not to rub it in, but the gentle purring of my Phil hub is so much more refined

Old 01-19-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Quieter freehubs....

But seriously though, I appreciate them for what they do - and their open house has become a new annual handmade bike show for Portland and the PNW.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Try some shimano D/A grease, or even just a thicker oil instead of the ring lube. :-) Quite a bit quieter. I don't find my R45's as loud as DT240's TBH.

Last edited by gibbo; 01-19-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Try some shimano D/A grease, or even just a thicker oil instead of the ring lube. :-) Quite a bit quieter. I don't find my R45's as loud as DT240's TBH.
Good to know - I'm mostly just ribbing - CK makes great stuff and I've enjoyed most of the wheels and other bits of theirs I've had.. I also am still drooling over a big Cielo at The Pros Closet that I can't buy.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM

I love CK products- the some of the best stuff out there, delivered by some great people.

I especially love their MTB hubs- instant engagement.

The sound of the hubs is like Rockā€™nRoll: it seems to only rankle the old people.
If it is too loud tune down the hearing aid- I like to let em know I am coming.