Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Electronic-only frames

It's more common than ever to see custom frames for sale in the classified that are electronic-only. Is it a reasonable assumption that getting a custom built frame without accommodating a mechanical shifting group doesn't diminish its value when you come to sell it?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
It's more common than ever to see custom frames for sale in the classified that are electronic-only. Is it a reasonable assumption that getting a custom built frame without accommodating a mechanical shifting group doesn't diminish its value when you come to sell it?
I think a electronic only frameset DOES diminish it's resale value. Couldn't find the numbers, and in spite of the professional peloton being all electric, all the time(very few exceptions), most bikes sold in the US are still mechanical shifting.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

It probably does command a lower price but when you get a custom bike I guess you know what you want. Also I think if you include the groupset on the bike that evens the price out a little more.

My English was etap only (no di2 or eps, just etap) and I sold it without a hitch - I did sell it complete though.

Currently I have a cielo that is also etap only. When I bought it, the etap group came with it but I would have not hesitated to buy it without it.

Honestly, I don't really care what the re sale value is going to be, if I want etap on that bike, I don't want cable stops sticking out of the bike for no reason. Also, was just fixing up my etap bike yesterday after my crash and thought to myself, this is a hell of a group, e shifting really is fantastic.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Randomhead

the drop in price of a custom frame on resale is usually pretty drastic anyway, I think I would get what I want and not worry about it. My guess is Di2 accommodations might make it more valuable
Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think a electronic only frame DOES diminish it's value. Couldn't find the numbers, and in spite of the professional peloton being all electric, all the time(very few exceptions), most bikes sold in the US are still mechanical shifting.
RIght now this is very true electronic only are of lower value but in 3 years or more? hmm hard to tell but then it is likely something else that is out of sync with the items fetching the most dollars. Like it does not take 24" wheels with 70mm tires or similar .)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:41 AM

A custom built frame is built to the specifications -- and whims -- of the original client. If you're looking at other frames as examples, the only reasonable assumption is the original client intended to use an electronic groupset only with the frame, and didn't care about or didn't consider how lack of support for a mechanical groupset would affect resale value.

There are a lot of very personal choices made with a custom frame, and all of them will affect the frame's value on the used market.

Last edited by dgauthier; 01-19-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 AM

I hear you. What prompts this question is the customs I see for sale in the Classified here that have barely been ridden. There is one there now that is tempting to me, but it's electronic-only, and I'm not personally interested in electronic shifting, so I'm out of the pool for that frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
It probably does command a lower price but when you get a custom bike I guess you know what you want. A
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
RIght now this is very true electronic only are of lower value but in 3 years or more? hmm hard to tell but then it is likely something else that is out of sync with the items fetching the most dollars. Like it does not take 24" wheels with 70mm tires or similar .)
Electronic shifting has been around for 12 years..less expensive about 9 years....I really don't think the bike market will be all electronic any time soon. Their time and money will continue to make all the bike fleets disc only.

Remember electronic shifting isn't really 'electronic' but electro-mechanical.
What I can probably assure you tho..bikes won't be that hydro shifting anytime soon...I mucked with one at Vecchio's..NOT impressed at all..loud, clunky, HIGH shift lever force needed..not impressed.How long has this stuff been in development?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
There is one there now that is tempting to me, but it's electronic-only, and I'm not personally interested in electronic shifting, so I'm out of the pool for that frame.
Obviously, the calculus changes for people that are getting a custom built in your size and might not keep the frame. Those people shouldn't get electronic only
Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Electronic shifting has been around for 12 years..less expensive about 9 years....I really don't think the bike market will be all electronic any time soon. Their time and money will continue to make all the bike fleets disc only.

Remember electronic shifting isn't really 'electronic' but electro-mechanical.
What I can probably assure you tho..bikes won't be that hydro shifting anytime soon...I mucked with one at Vecchio's..NOT impressed at all..loud, clunky, HIGH shift lever force needed..not impressed.How long has this stuff been in development?
I hope you are right .)

Hydro shifting is that the fsa groupset or similar?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:55 AM
Administrator

i'm out of the loop...

what percentage of current production frames are electric only these days?

seems a bunch of them have some system for converting to mech if you want it, but are many big companies producing frames with no provision for mech groups?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I hope you are right .)

Hydro shifting is that the fsa groupset or similar?
Rotor..some propaganda here.

https://rotorbike.com/5-advantages-o...gear-shifting/

The FSA is another that just can't seem to come to market. 'Wireless' light..ders are hard wired to battery(internal), shifters are wireless.

BUT I think a smart front der(no shifter), ala XTR, wireless RH shifter and rear der(maybe hard wired to a battery) is 'next'...

Been wrong before tho
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
seems a bunch of them have some system for converting to mech if you want it, but are many big companies producing frames with no provision for mech groups?
Seems to me that a Di2 frame should be really easy to convert back and forth with a few frame plugs that are going to be there anyway. I think the Di2-only bikes are mostly custom, but I am also out of the loop.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:26 AM

there was a seven for sale that was perfect for e-tap. man that thing was nice. wish it fit me (or rather, that i could fit it).
Old 01-19-2020, 10:27 AM

I hope those four people are reading this :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Obviously, the calculus changes for people that are getting a custom built in your size and might not keep the frame. Those people shouldn't get electronic only