Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 PM

Enve 3.4 clincher Qc questions (pics inside)

Ok, I’m a tubular guy however I’ve ridden a huge selection of al clinchers these are my first ever carbon clinchers.

I’m not sure if I’m overly cautious and my expectations are too high based on my experience with carbon tubular rims having perfect rim beds or my concerns are real as my knowledge of cc are zero.

The wheels in question are new enve 3.4ses clincher/tubeless which I took hold of yesterday, which on the surface look great, but once you cast a close eye a few imperfections show up which look like they could lead to problems further along the line. There are multiple voids/delaminations ? I don’t know of the bead hooks on both rims either side ranging from 1.5~6/7cm long.

What do you guys think ? Is this normal or ???

This plus not being able to use Vittoria g+ I’m a little put off

Sorry for the long winded post !

https://ibb.co/1L99cJN
https://ibb.co/R766cq0
https://ibb.co/TRfz1cJ
https://ibb.co/BsyYtfy
https://ibb.co/djrqXcC
https://ibb.co/T0Yx9mZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDF5B237-FE97-413F-9D54-BA908E0C3F74.jpg (53.7 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by Caballero; 01-17-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:13 PM

That is B.S. quality control. Can't really be sure of longevity. If you bought those new I'd bring em back.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM

My Enve 4.5 Clinchers definitely dont look like that. I would send an email to Enve and attach the photos. Let them respond back and deal with them if needed. I had some issues with my first pair of 4.5's after a year of riding them and they swapped the rims out with new ones. Send me a prepaid shipping label, got them back to me in 1.5 weeks laced up to new rims.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:20 PM

I’d send back. If bought new just ask for swap, I would think it would be non-issue.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.
For those that asked, Yes, these are new. I just removed them from the sealed bags.

It’s a shame to be let down by companies with quality issues. I was looking forward to trying carbon clinchers, but I might just stay with tubs.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Thanks for the replies.
For those that asked, Yes, these are new. I just removed them from the sealed bags.

It’s a shame to be let down by companies with quality issues. I was looking forward to trying carbon clinchers, but I might just stay with tubs.
Enve makes a quality clinchers. Before throwing them to the wayside, I would give them a chance to either explain that they are fine and a non issue OR that they will take care of you and make it right. Even high quality top shelf brands have goof ups every now and then. It's what they do about it that should make or break your thoughts in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

thats got nothing to do with it being a clincher, thats just some shoddy QC (that might even be fine to ride but since they are brand new, I would probably send em back), send it back and get a new one and it will be probably be fine.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:57 PM
Vendor

I've seen this many times from Enve rims. I am not impressed with them due to this and usually recommend another brand. While I've not had any returned to me, I don't like the looks and possible issues. It's horrible quality control.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Deconditioned!

As others have said, give ENVE a call. They are top notch people. Lame you have to deal with this. I have the 4.5 SES and they have been nothing buy stellar.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:15 AM

When I think "top notch" this is not the kind of hassle I would associate with it...

SPP
Old 01-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I've seen this many times from Enve rims. I am not impressed with them due to this and usually recommend another brand. While I've not had any returned to me, I don't like the looks and possible issues. It's horrible quality control.
What he said and I wouldn't be surprised if ENVE says something like, 'never seen that before'(balderdash' or 'no big deal'..how much were they?? YGBSM.
Quote:
As others have said, give ENVE a call. They are top notch people. Lame you have to deal with this.
Quote:
When I think "top notch" this is not the kind of hassle I would associate with it...
??T"Top Notch People' producing an EXPENSIVE, 'less than top notch product'...??

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-18-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 AM

Agree, Enve stands by their product. If defective, Enve won’t hesitate to get you square, (or in your case, round) 😊

Last edited by laupsi; 01-18-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM

I had a similar QC issue with my Enve wheels. Wanted to get some opinion on how to fix it so took it to brokencarbon in Boulder. They said that looking my Enve rims, someone at Enve dropped the ball bigtime on QC. My rims should not have left the factory.

But yes, Enve did send me a brand new wheel promptly. Regardless, I am dismayed by the lack of QC on wheels at retails for $2500. I do not know if I am being too harsh on Enve because other carbon wheels have similar QC issues with the same frequency. I cannot say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What he said and I wouldn't be surprised if ENVE says something like, 'never seen that before'(balderdash' or 'no big deal'..how much were they?? YGBSM.

??T"Top Notch People' producing an EXPENSIVE, 'less than top notch product'...??
Old 01-18-2020, 02:04 PM

It seems that things have gone downhill from the time Mavic took over.

At least they don't have the same warranty policy that Mavic has. Yet!
Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM

THese

Enve warranty re-laced my gen1 3.4/CK hubs clinchers for the gen2s. The front was fine, this is how the rear showed up(see pics). Note the white arrows identifying defects are their markings, not mine. When my LBS notified ENVE, they immediately sent an overnight shipping label and returned them the same way after re-lacing in a week or so. Got a pair of socks to shut me up.

More.... The initial re-lacing order was for black decals, they showed up with white. Then fixed it by sending LBS black decals for replacement. Removing and reapplying 12 decals, i wouldn't have done it. Skip forward to arrival of replaced defective rims...white again after a stern reminder to "make sure they are black this time".

Fedex got a little richer on this deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190826_135311_resized.jpg (69.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 20190826_135248_resized.jpg (64.7 KB, 199 views)