Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 10:29 AM

Check out Matador. Super simple, light-weight, packable, waterproof.

Not padding or support, but it turned out, for me at least, that I didn't really need any after all. It's completely replaced my Osprey/North Face bags that I used to think were the cat's meow.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM

My older rapha backpack is the best I've found for riding and travel. It's almost the exact max for a personal item on a plane and expands further with an additional zip out compartment perfect for a helmet or shoes. It's also the first backpack I've liked for commuting as it sits lower and the straps splay further out so they don't dig into me. It fully unzips so both halves lay flat and has lots of dividers. I'm normally an anti rapha guy, and don't love the hot pink raincover, but it's a fantastically practical bag.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Take a look at what Waterfield has to offer. I have one of their messenger bags and it is beyond excellent in function, durability and appearance.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:48 AM

I'm amazed by the number of backpack bags here that look good that I've never heard of. This is a really crowded marketplace!

These are pretty good for traveling. Not sure if it is what the OP had in mind, but they are thoughtfully designed and well made, at least in my experience. Add 'em to the pile:

https://www.minaal.com/collections/bags
Old 01-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Descent fitness

Look into Mystery Ranch. They have some nice city styles and are bulletproof.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:28 AM
shimergo

North St. Bags

Pricey, but made in Portland, Oregon. Multiple color options and fabrics depending on bag type. They make a sweet 28L "travel pack" that would be perfect for short trips.

For more cycling oriented bags, check out Road Runner Bags made in Southern California.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Classics Fan

No experience, but the Peak Designs Everyday Backpack gets generally good feedback. It is expensive, but in the same ballpark as the Filson.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Administrator

As posted elsewhere, Swift is having a sale, and this looks nice. the other swift stuff i have is pretty high quality.

https://builtbyswift.com/shop/sonora-daypack/
Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
As posted elsewhere, Swift is having a sale, and this looks nice. the other swift stuff i have is pretty high quality.

https://builtbyswift.com/shop/sonora-daypack/
One thing to watch out for with the Swift pack, or any other pack that has that same material on the back (pack-cloth / cordura), is that it will shred your clothes in no time....any fleece, sweaters, or wool jackets will get pilled to holy heck after just a few times of coming in contact with it. I much prefer designs that have a smooth/slippery back, or a raised padding system that is smooth....my Mission Works pack was very good in that regard..
Old 01-21-2020, 12:05 PM

Wow so many great packs to check out.
This is one reason I love this place. Such a huge collective knowledge base.
Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:12 PM

I am intrigued by Topo bags, they look really nice. - https://topodesigns.com/collections/bags

My wife has a YNOT bag that has worn very well, plus on some models they do mass customization so you can pick and choose what colours and features you want.

https://www.ynotmade.com/en/shop/?category=Backpacks

I have a north street shopping bag and based on it, would consider one of their packs.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:14 PM
v a n i l l a

I saw one of these limited production $700 bags in person - I have to say it was pretty nice. Way out of my budget though.
https://loyalstricklin.com/collections/leather-bags

The older Rapha backpack does actually work pretty well, especially when used for bike commuting (laptop, jacket).

I enjoy these threads too - plenty of choices mentioned I might not have thought of or known about.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:54 PM

After a decade with a timbuktu, I just picked up a Road Runner Bags backpack on their cyber monday sale. It's great. https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...-anything-pack
Old 01-21-2020, 01:06 PM

Check out Bellroy. They have a whole line of different size city backpacks (and other bags & leather goods). I have the MAAP collaboration Shift backpack which was been wonderful both around town and on the bike..
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM

For me it starts and ends with Mission Workshop. I've got one of their earliest backpacks and it's held up to everything I can throw at it. I did have to have them replace the zipper pulls on the expanding section, which they did free of charge the next day after I brought it to them. I've also got one of their newer backpacks which is even better, and a messenger bag. They've got my money and my loyalty for the craftsmanship and the customer service.

I am thinking about an ILE photo backpack though. Eric does a great job.