Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
That is one impressive thumbtack to have lasted 2 years... Must have been one of the better 6/4 Ti tacks. No way could a carbon fibre thumbtack last that long.

Most impressive was that it was those thumbtacks with the long–a$5 pin— probably like 7 or 8 mm, and it was jammed right at the centerline of the tire straight in. It must’ve helped that I was only riding about 70 pounds of pressure. Every time my tire turned over and I heard “thwack“ I thought “this is going to be the time it blows“.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I patched a latex tube w/ the regular glue and patch. It's holding up great.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 PM

I've got a noob-ish latex question for the veterans.

I swapped my GP4kS2 tires for some Corsa G+ last year, both in 25c on Hed Ardennes+ rims (20mm internal, 25mm external). Tried to re-use the Vittoria latex tubes but they were crazy difficult to get properly seated, seemed like they had permanently stretched and there was some extra material that kept wanting to twist up and not lay properly between rim & tire. Is it because I was using the tubes spec'ed for 19-23c (or 19-24c, I forget) under 25c Contis that really balloon up to near 28 when pressurized? Do I need to be certain to buy the fatter spec tubes? Is there some other cause, or a remedy that allows easier re-use of the tubes?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 AM

Latex tubes are generally a little more difficult to install, because they are more elastic than butyl, so it is easier to accidentally get them twisted up or bet a part of the tube trapped between the tire and the rim. And yes, latex tubes are more apt to get "stretched out" by inflation.

The best way to get a tube (latex or butyl) inserted properly is to inflate them slightly before installation. Use a pump to get just enough air into the tube to give it some shape (too much air and you won't be able to mount the tire, and too little and the tube will be too floppy). This will straighten out the tube and make it easier to position it where it needs to be.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Powder the tube and avoid using tubeless tape with latex tubes. This helps a lot with installation and distortion of the tube.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Powder the tube and avoid using tubeless tape with latex tubes. This helps a lot with installation and distortion of the tube.
Why avoid tubeless tape? It is very smooth and the latex just slides on it which is good. Also, better to powder the inside of the tire. Less mess and more effective.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Why avoid tubeless tape? It is very smooth and the latex just slides on it which is good. Also, better to powder the inside of the tire. Less mess and more effective.
If the tube stays powdered its not a problem. However if the tube is not powered it can stick to the tape. This happens as the tube deflates and inflates causing deformation.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If the tube stays powdered its not a problem. However if the tube is not powered it can stick to the tape. This happens as the tube deflates and inflates causing deformation.
Gotcha.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Descent fitness

So do you think old school Velox is better?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
So do you think old school Velox is better?
Yes its better, latex does not stick and stay stuck as the tire deflates and inflates. I have switched over to Velox tape however several of my tubeless wheels still use tubeless tape as its harder to install some tires with the Velox
Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Descent fitness

I have been using 3M fiberglass reinforced packing tape in my latex tubed wheels, and it works a treat – very slick, and I like the fact that the tube would be sliding over the tape. I use plenty of talc on tire/tube and no signs yet of sticking.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
I have been using 3M fiberglass reinforced packing tape in my latex tubed wheels, and it works a treat – very slick, and I like the fact that the tube would be sliding over the tape. I use plenty of talc on tire/tube and no signs yet of sticking.
I Googled the 3M tape, looks like it has a slight texture, maybe just the photo? Texture will prevent the tape from sticking unlike the smooth surface of tubeless tape matched with the smooth not powdered latex tube.

Last edited by Tony; 01-21-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:31 PM
formerly Landshark_98

what latex tubes do folks prefer? I've had bad luck with latex tubes in the passt - Vittoria I think - that failed at the tube/valve interface (perhaps just a bad run)....
Old 01-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Descent fitness

My limited experience is with Vittoria. No issues so far.