Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Each time I visit Garro, I'm reminded how poorly I eat. He won't eat anything that came wrapped in plastic. If I lived that lifestyle and rode more, I'd be way better off. Everything that is wrong with me would be better with less of me. But, even in my fatness, my A1C is 5.5 and cholesterol is 155 (with a statin). I even got my triglycerides down to 160, from 220.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:49 PM

If eaten in moderation without going overboard sugar is ok. My Dad never watched what he ate and he's 95. My Mom who was 10 years younger did everything right...exercised and ate a very balanced diet. She was slim and kept herself fit. She died of A.L.S. at 79. My point...you can do everything correctly and still have your life cut short. Enjoy yourself and if you want that candy bar...eat it!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
If eaten in moderation without going overboard sugar is ok. My Dad never watched what he ate and he's 95. My Mom who was 10 years younger did everything right...exercised and ate a very balanced diet. She was slim and kept herself fit. She died of A.L.S. at 79. My point...you can do everything correctly and still have your life cut short. Enjoy yourself and if you want that candy bar...eat it!
Sounds good to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.JPG (44.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
Genetics. Some people live longer no matter what. Some even smoke regularly.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Hunger was common everywhere till mid 20th century. We are discussing food quality... in the 1930s people were starving in Europe and America.
Capitalism and technology made food available to most everyone everywhere.
and "technology and capitalism" will continue to supply an ever-growing population into the future by making more food on a smaller footprint. For governments and big ag continued feeding the world is a huge issue.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
All of this makes sense, but it's incomplete. Too bad the fresh veggies are so expensive. The Teslas cruise the Farmers Markets and poor people get to live in "Fresh Food Deserts."
So true. And poor people, many times, are ignorant of food, where is comes from and how it affects ones well being.

My ex has rentals in the sketchy part of Austin. The local grocery store in that area doesn't stock the better foods the chain stocks 5 miles away in a better part of town. I asked, and the manager said, "Here, I can't sell it. I stock what sells." White bread, 70% ground beef, gallon jugs of orange drink, chips and candy.

And we wonderful why kids are fat.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P K View Post
Congrats to @steveoz for cutting out the sugar. It's a lot harder than you would think, reading food labels is shocking sometimes, there is sugar in everything! I do my best to avoid processed sugar but still love chocolate.
Thank you!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Deconditioned!

Lots of diet surfacing everywhere now.

Recently watched “Game Changers” (Netflix). Good stuff. A little over the top...but didn’t bother me. Better than the lies and subterfuge by the rest of the corporate food marketeers.

The show also had cycling content ftw.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Lots of diet surfacing everywhere now.

Recently watched “Game Changers” (Netflix). Good stuff. A little over the top...but didn’t bother me. Better than the lies and subterfuge by the rest of the corporate food marketeers.

The show also had cycling content ftw.
+1 - good production, good knowledge sharing, just a bit too bruh in places, but overall a good 101 on plant-based eating..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Wrong. Cheap mass produced food is heavily subsidized.
I believe I know what you’re trying to say but an over generalization. The U.S. government subsidies 5 crops, corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice.

Corn of course produces corn syrup which is found in a lot of foods.

When talking about sugar, don’t forget to include corn syrup. And, be prepared to be shocked when trying to buy food without it.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM
DELETE ACCNT

My simple rules that I followed and lost 15lbs, got down to 09-12% body fat:

1. Avoid all:
HFCS
corn syrup
Hydrogenated/partially-hydrogenated oils
Vegetable oil
Canola
processed food and oils (basically, the middle of the grocery store)

2. Eat foods without wrappers.
fruits
veg
eggs
rice
nuts grains
olive, coconut oils
sugar, not corn based.
meals cooked at home

3. no juice unless it is 100% juice.

4. no limit on how much I ate

5. ride regularly (this is actually very difficult when things get busy)

6. When eating out, don't sweat the rules.

7. Minimize meat. I got to the point where the only meat I ate was when going out with friends for dinner. I went for non-meat meals, but if it was only meat avail, I didn't sweat it.

Just following rule #1 and 2 , and cycling regularly is really the key for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Corn alone (the largest crop by far) accounts for 70 million football fields of corn- Basically all the land is equal to the land mass of the entire state of California.
most of it inedible, used for garbage oil, ethanol and feeding cows.
Subsidies for these corporate farms is just another milking of the American taxpayer. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I believe I know what you’re trying to say but an over generalization. The U.S. government subsidies 5 crops, corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice.

Corn of course produces corn syrup which is found in a lot of foods.

When talking about sugar, don’t forget to include corn syrup. And, be prepared to be shocked when trying to buy food without it.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 PM

Similar to what we try to do in our home, although I'm pretty slim so more about keeping the weight from creeping up (or sometimes down too much with subsequent strength loss) Of course, there's always room for improvement with temptation from sweets stuff in a box, beer/alcohol etc.

I've been listening to FasCat coach Frank Overton's podcast, he sums his approach to nutrition for cycling pretty succinctly. Certainly not rocket science, just simple, clean diet with lots of veggies balanced with some protein, and easy to prepare on a day-to-day basis.
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/winning-in-the-kitchen/

I also like that it mentally helps re-framing cooking/grocery shopping into fuel for "my fun cycling hobby" instead of this everyday chore you have to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
My simple rules that I followed and lost 15lbs, got down to 09-12% body fat:

1. Avoid all:
HFCS
corn syrup
Hydrogenated/partially-hydrogenated oils
Vegetable oil
Canola
processed food and oils (basically, the middle of the grocery store)

2. Eat foods without wrappers.
fruits
veg
eggs
rice
nuts grains
olive, coconut oils
sugar, not corn based.
meals cooked at home

3. no juice unless it is 100% juice.

4. no limit on how much I ate

5. ride regularly (this is actually very difficult when things get busy)

6. When eating out, don't sweat the rules.

7. Minimize meat. I got to the point where the only meat I ate was when going out with friends for dinner. I went for non-meat meals, but if it was only meat avail, I didn't sweat it.

Just following rule #1 and 2 , and cycling regularly is really the key for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 PM

Two weeks without a Coke.
Hope I can keep the streak going.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:51 PM

I don't have any weight problems but this stuff is all interesting.

The last year or two I have been eating a lot more eggs & in general trying to eat a good bit more protein at breakfast in particular. I'd not say I've really changed my lunch and dinner habits. I eat out much less than most people though. I pack my own lunch on work days and my wife and son have Celiac so we generally cook our own dinners ever night as well.

If anything since I started eating a little more protein I am more stable in my weight.. I have not been on the trainer/riding much at all this winter, partly cause I got hurt in the fall and the injury has been nagging on forever. I have been pretty good about weight lifting. Anyway I've had almost 0 weight gain anyway despite what I would say is a slightly reduced exercise frequency. (Though I am being very good about walking places.)

BUT... my cholesterol was up a bit last time I had it checked. Not sure it's working that way. My cholesterol was still fine IIRC, and it was a non-fasting test, but it did something like went from 150 -> 175 or something.

More protein might inadvertently mean I'm eating more fat. In any case I am eating a LOT more eggs.

If you're avoiding anything avoid alcohol... ignore the nonsense about some alcoholic drinks having fewer carbs, the alcohol itself is every bit as bad as having processed sugar. Our bodies love to store alcohol as fat.

One other thing.. my recovery for cycling has always been pretty good, but my recovery for weight training has always been crap. Tons of DOMS, ever since I started at the age of 13... I think having more protein in the morning has helped with that quite a bit. The ironic thing is in the past I tried to do that with supplements... the supplements never seemed to work, but changing what *real* food I eat has helped.