Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM

My "around town" converted C-Dale Topstone. Although the geometry is less aggressive than your SV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180916_152416_resized.jpg (148.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 AM

Just ride it. Pretend you can´t buy another bike and that´s all you have. Boom. Go.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
to be clean, 650b is NOT going to work on that bike. Even if 38mm 650bs fit (which they won't), and even if long reach brakes would work, that would put the BB too low as well. Also, not a lot of 650b tubulars out there, if any.

as far as racks, you could rig some rack situation but you better off just going with some frame bags.
Yea, this to to sum it up, so no 650b for this SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
Thats helpful and looks to be about the way to go, thx !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Karl your last post indicated you got alot of ideas now its time to execute some of them. A light city bike sounds like alot of fun to me. Don't over think this! Get a new set of bars, a few bags and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Glue up some 28s, flip your stem, get a couple of bags and have some fun!! Don’t overthink it, if you have phone service and a credit card you are sweet. Pack light and ride fast :-)
Will do guys, work is busy so just gathering thoughts right now THX !!!

Old 01-23-2020, 11:54 PM

Didn’t read through every post, but I’m with gibbo quoted above:
  • Flip that stem (unless you’re super comfortable already)
  • Biggest tires possible
  • Tubus QR rack adaptors / Fly rear rack mounted with Sheldons Nuts. Use ltwt panniers like Arkel Daylites. (I use this setup on a Moots)

Maybe even throw on flat pedals to a) piss off the purists b) be able to hop on at a moments notice.

You now have a city / light touring bike.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM

Question for you all......

On the below type of bag setups, why not use a full size frame bag and hang your water bottles off the back of the saddle like some TT guys do ?

Would this not help to keep more weight centered and low, instead of the big bag sticking way out off the back of the saddle ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i did my first credit card style tour on the only bike i had at the time, an old Merlin Ti roadie on 23c tires and a janky aluminum seatpost rack with basically a backpack mounted back there.

i wish i had some photos of that old set up. had a ton of fun on that trip and no real problems that i couldnt fix on the road.

there is no reason not to light tour on a comfortable steel road bike with the current crop of bikepacking bags.

a set-up as below could easily be attached to any road bike with no mount points and do fine on a multi day ride on decent roads in good climate. no need for super plush tires, disc brakes or rack mounts. some of those things may be "ideal", but the adventurous spirit has been thriving on imperfect equipment since it was a thing.

tubulars on a multi day tour could be a hassle if you flat more than once. yes, i'd get some decent alloy clinchers as the only physical change to that set-up other than the strap on bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post

Trying out some new bike packing bags, made by Roswheel. They are all laser welding so fully waterproof, with much more space and attachment points than other bags I’ve used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 04:20 PM

i don't bikepack so dunno personally, but i had the same question and suspected that people stash bulky items back there. things that would otherwise be too wide and would brush against your legs during the pedal stroke. i was thinking tents, stoves, bivys etc..
Old 02-03-2020, 05:01 PM

The rear is usually a sleeping bag or clothing that would otherwise take up more volume and be problematic in a very large frame bag. Also keep in mind Q-factor when considering frame bags on a road bike. It could be an issue.

I think it's best to distribute the weight throughout and not load too much in the triangle. The bike will handle better IMO
Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
I'm in the OP and Wiesan crowd.

Get a tailfin for those days you want a rack if you're a rack type of person. Try seatbags or an Arkel tail bag. Try a carradice Nelson +bagman or an SQR set up (I got one if you want to buy it.). OR try a back pack. See what works for you.

You'll either find what works for you or you'll discover what it is you really want/need. You'll also discover if locking up the SV 'round town gives you palpitations. IF it does then perhaps get a less flashy bike or somehow "dumb" down the SV.

Have fun.
Some how I missed this before, Im not sure I will get one but these are cool .....

https://www.tailfin.cc/

Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

IMO, Wheelbase, Front Center, Chainstay, Headtube Angle make the goal untenable. Then there is tire clearance issues.

Agree with the 'sell it' posts.