Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM

Decided not to go metal when I found out it would ruin my free over-the-air rabbit ear antennae TV reception.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I considered going metal, but that quickly ended when I compared the cost to asphalt shingles. As I recall, it was a factor of ~ x3
Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I considered going metal, but that quickly ended when I compared the cost to asphalt shingles. As I recall, it was a factor of ~ x3
I wanted metal, wife doesn't but was talking to @adampaiva who just put a nice metal roof on his cabin and I was not aware how much more expensive they are. Looks like I will have a shingles roof, say it lasts 20 years, I will be long gone from here by the time it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info so far. We live in Upstate NY so snow and ice are part of life. I'm just starting to look into the different systems of metal roofing so thanks for bringing up the standing seam roof option. When we do put a new roof on the house we're going to have to strip the old roof. My wife is totally on board with the metal roof idea and we've seen several houses lately that have them in the area. I also like the thought of being able to possibly increase insulation that looks to be possible with at least some of the systems.

One of the things that I didn't mention is that we're looking to put a porch on the front of the house at the same time as well as some other outside work and figure that it makes sense to get it done at one time. I also want this to be the last roof we have to put on the house if possible. We're looking to retire in the next 7 years or so. When we do retire we don't look to stay in the area due to no family and stupid NY taxes.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Here's mine, installed last fall. We installed over top of the old asphalt shingles with 2x4 spacers and plywood, then the standing seam roof. That was $14k.

20181202-Dec 02 20185-04 PM_1.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

I'm very happy with it. There's no noise with the way it was installed. Mostly aesthetic for me but I think it was an improvement for the cabin in multiple ways. Now just have to get to the rest of the exterior.

I'm in Catskills btw, so depending on how upstate you are, send a pm and I'll pass along my roofer's contact. His price was significantly better than the other two quotes I got.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Adam thanks for the photo. I'm in the Binghamton area.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM

We had Fred Hall and sons do our roof 2 years ago.
Fantastic professionals.
I’m about 90 minutes northeast of you so I’m not sure if they go out your way.
We intended to get a metal roof so it would shed snow.
Unfortunately we have a multi peak roof with a north face that gets no sun for about 6 weeks of the winter.
He told us to forget metal because ice would just jam in the valleys and the snow wouldn’t slide.
So we had them do shingles and they did a great job at a fair price. They are true professionals.
They told us the date work was to start and said they would be there at 0700.
I looked out the bedroom window at 0705 that morning and there they were starting to pull supplies off the truck.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
Decided not to go metal when I found out it would ruin my free over-the-air rabbit ear antennae TV reception.
Is your antenna in the attic? I never had that problem with one mounted outside along the roofs facia board close to the metal roof but fully exposed.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Thanks for the info so far. We live in Upstate NY so snow and ice are part of life. I'm just starting to look into the different systems of metal roofing so thanks for bringing up the standing seam roof option. When we do put a new roof on the house we're going to have to strip the old roof. My wife is totally on board with the metal roof idea and we've seen several houses lately that have them in the area. I also like the thought of being able to possibly increase insulation that looks to be possible with at least some of the systems.

One of the things that I didn't mention is that we're looking to put a porch on the front of the house at the same time as well as some other outside work and figure that it makes sense to get it done at one time. I also want this to be the last roof we have to put on the house if possible. We're looking to retire in the next 7 years or so. When we do retire we don't look to stay in the area due to no family and stupid NY taxes.

FWIW, if you're going to stay in the house for ~10 years or less, it might not be worth it to get a metal roof. A big part of it for us was that we plan to stay in the house longer than a shingle roof would likely last. A good shingle roof should last you 10 years easily, consider letting the next owner worry about the roof after that.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Here's mine, installed last fall. We installed over top of the old asphalt shingles with 2x4 spacers and plywood, then the standing seam roof. That was $14k.

20181202-Dec 02 20185-04 PM_1.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr

I'm very happy with it. There's no noise with the way it was installed. Mostly aesthetic for me but I think it was an improvement for the cabin in multiple ways. Now just have to get to the rest of the exterior.

I'm in Catskills btw, so depending on how upstate you are, send a pm and I'll pass along my roofer's contact. His price was significantly better than the other two quotes I got.
Cool cabin. Gotta say, when I think of cabins in the Catskills, yours really fits the bill. Can't say why for sure (maybe it's because I lived in Woodstock for a year) but when I think of Catskills cabins, I always picture a funky 60s vibe, a cool, simple place to chill in the woods. Yay you.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Cool cabin. Gotta say, when I think of cabins in the Catskills, yours really fits the bill. ... Yay you.
agreed! awesome spot!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Everything is connected

Standing seam metal roofs are usually reserved for commercial projects because of the cost and in some cases, they are required by zoning ordinances for aesthetic reasons. Metal roofs definitely cost more than composite shingles and their life cycle is beyond our lives, with the exception of the paint, which is why metal roofs aren't standard on most houses. You pay for the material, labor skills and longevity.

On our home's front entrance which has a barrel vault shape, I opted to install flat seam terne coated stainless steel panels...20 years and looking awesome, but the average American only owns their home for 8.7 years, so why build for the next buyer, right? Because we thought that it looked way better and would perform better than other options.

If you live in an area of extreme climate conditions like Charleston, SC or Ludlow, VT, a metal roof might make sense. Other than that, like bikes sometimes, it comes down to personal preference. BTW, green building standards have helped develop metal roofing options like "cool" roof paint finishes. Worth looking into if you're in the market for a metal roof.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I wanted metal, wife doesn't but was talking to @adampaiva who just put a nice metal roof on his cabin and I was not aware how much more expensive they are. Looks like I will have a shingles roof, say it lasts 20 years, I will be long gone from here by the time it needs to be replaced.
The wife and I have discussed metal as our shingle roof is 18 y/o (same age as house). A friend who does roofing told me the shingles are in good shape for their age, but probably next 6-8 years in his opinion, we will need to replace them. In eight years from now I'll be 60 and our big question, like you, is how long will we remain in this house? We probably have one more move we're willing to do, so if we wait until the roof NEEDS replaced, might not get the full value out of a metal roof while still there. I really like the looks of them though and the way they keep some of the heat out of the attic area.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM

One further (maybe) point. We are in the process of deciding what to replace an old asphalt shingle roof with. As it's in a wooded (often humid in the summer) area, we have some moss issues. I am told this is not a problem with steel roofs.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM

CP43 Thanks for that post! I hadn't considered that we'd actually be out of the house before needing to replace the next roof. This may change the direction we're thinking about going.