Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Cube litening c:68x

Sooooo. This was just "released" last week, and won't be available to the general public until October or so. Looking at the geo & available configurations, I'm pretty sure I want one.

Anyone have any experience with Cube bikes firsthand, and what were your thoughts?

Also, how, exactly would one go about getting their hands on one in the States, since there's no US distributor.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Any reason for wanting the Cube?

One of the guys who we ride with occasionally has one, and it hasn't really impressed me much up close.

Probably best bet is to purchase overseas, take delivery then ship it back
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Looks like a hybrid between a Cervelo S5 and Cannondale system six
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post

One of the guys who we ride with occasionally has one, and it hasn't really impressed me much up close.

Seconded. I rode with a guy who had one and he regularly complained about it. I think he warrantied it a few times. QC appears to be an issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post

Mostly the geometry. Its one of the few aero road bikes that I can get low enough in the front with, and it has a "standard" steerer, so I can put a different stem and bars on there, if necessary.

I also think it looks really good, but that's not the primary objective here.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKW View Post
Mostly the geometry. Its one of the few aero road bikes that I can get low enough in the front with, and it has a "standard" steerer, so I can put a different stem and bars on there, if necessary.
Are you sure it has a standard stem and steerer? It's awfully difficult to do completely internal routing with standard handlebars/stems/steerers. According to the specs. on the Cube website:

Quote:
Litening C:68X ICR Aero Cockpit System, Integrated Cable Routing, Aero Spacer System, Garmin Mount Interface
It clearer can't have a "standard" steerer, because if nothing else, the front brake cable/hose has to somehow enter the steerer from the stem.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Some stem, steerer and othere details here.....

https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/03/202...ero-road-bike/

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM

If they'd make a 52 with a 130/-12/360 integrated setup with 165mm cranks, I'd be on the next plane to where ever I could purchase it.

#heretic
Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Are you sure it has a standard stem and steerer? It's awfully difficult to do completely internal routing with standard handlebars/stems/steerers. According to the specs. on the Cube website:

It clearer can't have a "standard" steerer, because if nothing else, the front brake cable/hose has to somehow enter the steerer from the stem.
Looking at the website, it appears it's a standard steerer, with a super wide stem to let the housing pass alongside the steerer tube. Wouldn't be hard to 3d print a cap so you could run a standard stem/bar combination. Could be wrong, want to get my hands on one to see (or if there's a Euro-based paceliner willing to stop by a shop that carries CUBE once they're on the shop floor that can snap a few photos)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Some stem, steerer and othere details here.....

https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/03/202...ero-road-bike/

The photo on Bikerumor appears to be incomplete. In shows only 2 of the 4 cables, and although another photo shows where the front brake cable/house emerges from the left fork blade, no photo shows were the cable/hose enters the fork.

Edit: Looking at the photos further, there appears to be small projection at the back of the fork crown. Perhaps the front brake cable/hose passes through this projection (from behind the steerer) into the fork. If so, then it appears that I was a bit premature, and this bike can have a standard steerer, and can use traditional stems (although feeding 4 cables through a hole in the frame behind the top of the head tube without cable guides could be a bit messy).

Last edited by Mark McM; 07-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM

They don't have any mechanical groups listed, only Di2 and AXS groups, so really only 1 cable to deal with and 2 cords (if using Di2) Not much easier, but easier nonetheless.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
They don't have any mechanical groups listed, only Di2 and AXS groups, so really only 1 cable to deal with and 2 cords (if using Di2) Not much easier, but easier nonetheless.
From the Bikerumor article:

Quote:
All of the complete bikes that Cube is offering with the new Litening include electronic drivetrains (eTap or Di2). But the new bike is mechanical shift compatible with its full internal routing channels.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Yeah, not arguing with that, just pointing out that they don't sell it as a frameset (on their website), and none of the factory-offered builds are mechanical.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Apparently, they have a Canadian distributor, and are reasonably available in Canada...

The gf has never been to Toronto. Looks like a trip may be in order.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Apparently, they have a Canadian distributor, and are reasonably available in Canada...

The gf has never been to Toronto. Looks like a trip may be in order.

https://gearsbikeshop.com/cube/

You can try Gears bike shop...good store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk