Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 05:02 PM

Curved prescription lenses (Oakley)

I’m looking at getting my Oakley Flak lenses replaced with prescription lenses. Digital lenses are supposed to eliminate the ‘fishbowl’ effect from curved lenses. Apparently as the lens/eye distance changes the prescription should change to compensate. I don’t notice it with my regular ‘flat’ eye glasses that are somewhat large.
Those of you that have standard type curved lenses, is ‘fishbowl’ actually noticeable?
Those of you that went from standard type to digital, really notice an improvement in peripheral vision?
Thanks
Old 01-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I have generally been a Sports Optical guy for my Rudy Rydons and they have been pretty flawless.

I went with Revant this last time solely based on cost but I am very satisfied with the result.

No noticeable difference in vision

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:35 PM

I've got some experience with standard and digital contour lenses, and I'd say that digital lenses, help to a degree, but the don't completely eliminate the distortions from curved lenses. The degree of distortion with any lens will vary with both the angle and the refractive power of the lens, and different people tolerate different amounts of distortion, so there's no hard and fast rule about whether curved lenses (digital contour or not) will be suitable. But I believe there's a reason that Oakley has a limit on how much corrective power they will make lenses for (and my prescription is beyond what Oakley will do). What corrective power is your prescription?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Oh, and I've said this before in other threads on prescription eyewear:

No comments and reviews on any prescriptive eyewear mean anything without including the refractive power of the prescription, plus any other other corrections (such as prism correction or high astigmatic correction). Eyewear that might work great for someone with prescription of -2.0 spherical and no cylinder might not work at all for someone with -10.0 spherical and -3.0 cylindrical.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:08 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Having peaked at about -175 and -125 about 8 years ago my eyesight has been steadily improving to where I am now -75 and 0 but with an astigmatism correction on the 0 side that I have needed for my last 3 sets of glasses.

So kind of a “chip shot” for Revant but Sports Optical did great with the more intense Rxs

BK

Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Having peaked at about -175 and -125 about 8 years ago my eyesight has been steadily improving to where I am now -75 and 0 but with an astigmatism correction on the 0 side that I have needed for my last 3 sets of glasses.
Do you mean -1.75 and -1.25 diopters (spherical)? That's considered mild myopia (which is generally under -3.0 diopters). I'm on the threshold between moderate myopia (-3.0 to -6.0 diopters) and high high myopia (more than -6.0 diopters), and the curved glasses with in-frame prescription lenses that I've tried had more distortion than I was happy with (even with digital contour lenses). As I understand it, Oakly has a limit on the corrective power for their in-frame prescription lenses which is something around -4.0 or -5.0 diopters, so they won't even make lenses for my prescription.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Yes

Sorry

BK

Old 01-21-2021, 07:17 PM

My last prescription was -
OD +4.25 sph -1.25 cyl
OS +3.00 sph -0.75 cyl
Old 01-21-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I have generally been a Sports Optical guy for my Rudy Rydons and they have been pretty flawless.

I went with Revant this last time solely based on cost but I am very satisfied with the result.
BK
How does lens quality compare between Rudy Project OEM and the third party providers? (Perhaps they all use the same lab anyway...)

Thanks!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-21-2021, 08:17 PM
Shifty Member

I have glass prescription jawbones and the effectwas pretty noticeable at first. Took a couple times to get used to them but now after years of having them, I don't notice even when it's been a month since I've worn them.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 AM

I just ordered Oakley half jacket glasses from sportrx.com. They offer progressive digital lenses of their own, but recommend Oakley lenses. The frame was $136 and the lenses were $333. Black irdium added $46. I passed on the prizm technology that would add another $161. I used a $50 off coupon. Once I submit the invoice to my vsp insurance, the frames will be free and a lot of the lens cost covered.

Last edited by Dave; 01-22-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I just ordered Oakley half jacket glasses from sportrx.com. They offer they offer progressive digital lenses of their own, but recommend Oakley lenses. The frame was $136 and the lenses were $333. Black irdium added $46. I passed on the prizm technology that would add another $161. I used a $50 off coupon. Once I submit the invoice to my vsp insurance, the frames will be free and a lot of the lens cost covered.
I spent some time on the SportRx website. I was pretty impressed with their knowledge and recommendations. I will try them when I need to update my Rudy Project Rydon lenses.

Interesting about VSP...I asked about having my Rydons covered but I think was told that they would not be covered due to "sports" nature. ICBW. I've already used up my frame/lens allowance for 2021 anyway, so I might just use my FSA funds...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-22-2021, 10:12 AM

Sports Optical ....PERIOD...especially if u have a more powerful script. And if they can’t fill ur script on frame with too much base curve they will tell u.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:30 AM

Yes Sports Optical PERIOD. If you have a decent correction don't waste any time going through the eye doctor & Oakley, even if you're dead set on Oakley frames. (Which are not the best frames these days IMO)

I forget exactly what my Rx is... I have mild nearsightedness, like -1.5 or so.

But I have strong astigmatism, up toward -4 or something.

My Rx is really sensitive to the base curve.. but S.O. can seemingly use lenses with drastically more curve and get it right.

Oakley, etc.. and all the other EssilorLuxottica labs won't make those wraparound frames in my Rx, they want to put me back towards the frames that are basically sporty looking but have standard shape lenses.

Sports Optical has some kind of proprietary process/formula. They basically said my Rx is super easy for them and nowhere near out of bounds.

And they were right, my Sports Optical Rudy Projects are flawless.. no distortion or weirdness.

My most recent Rx the whole EssilorLuxottica monopoly even fudged up my Rx on normal lenses to the point they gave me Vertigo like symptoms and it took 3 pairs of glasses before they could get it right. It makes me want to try getting all my glasses from Sports Optical because Sports Optical could nail the prescription sight unseen the first time and was actually way less hassle. (We're talking like 6-7 appointments last fall.. it was horrible.).

Remember Oakley is just a marketing program & brand name stamped on glasses from the same giant Monopoly these days.. Oakley is gone. For Rx they are not the same lenses they were before the acquisition.

When I got my Rudy Project Rydons I was not able to get my insurance to cover them but I was able to use FSA. Some of the eye insurance programs are owned by EssilorLuxottica and they're not really medical insurance, they're just a payment plan program to sell more of their 100x markup glasses. If you've got real eye problems that don't involve buying overpriced eyeglasses they often don't even cover that, you use your medical insurance for that.

Sports Optical was considerably cheaper than going through the normal chain anyway for me though, it made it easier to handle. IIRC I got my frames + 2 pairs of RX lenses for $700, admittedly that was 5 years ago. Even with my insurance I would never ever get anywhere near that for normal glasses unless I went to Walmart/Zenni/Warby Parker, etc... I bought some Zenni's last winter to try it and they didn't get my RX right... more of the vertigo type symptoms, so they sit in a drawer.

Last edited by benb; 01-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:31 AM

I've used my vision insurance for sports glasses on two different occasions, before. I used my 2020 benefits in October for regular glasses and plan to submit the new sports glasses against 2021 benefits. It shouldn't be a problem.