Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 04:12 PM

Anyone else stoked about the carbon tubular market right now (as a buyer)?

I get that disc brakes and tubeless are the future for road -- I'm currently in the process of building up such a bike.

But as a guy who still really enjoys his rim brake bikes, I feel like there are so many solid deals out there right now on used carbon tubulars that they're almost too hard to pass up.

Has anyone else noticed this in their local marketplaces/craiglist/etc? Are tubulars really considered to be that antiquated?

I just picked up a set of Zipp 404 Firecrests, with brand new tires, Dura Ace cassette, and ti skewers, for $500 on Marketplace. The guy I bought them from was the original owner and rarely used them -- the wheels could almost pass off as new.

As someone who enjoys wrenching on bikes almost as much as I enjoy riding them, the process and setup of gluing tires has never been viewed as a hassle for me (in fact it can be cathartic when done right!), and I've never viewed tubulars as any more or less difficult to use, fix a flat, etc than clinchers -- if anything clinchers have left me stranded on the side of the road more than anything else. Maybe these factors contribute to the stoke I feel about the current tubular market?

Am I taking crazy pills? If so you all need to tell me before I buy another wheelset.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:14 PM

younger riders are genuinely scared of tubulars, dont understand how they work or want to put in the work to learn. can't blame them really, since good tubeless are pretty much as good, but yea, deals abound out there.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
I get that disc brakes and tubeless are the future for road -- I'm currently in the process of building up such a bike.

But as a guy who still really enjoys his rim brake bikes, I feel like there are so many solid deals out there right now on used carbon tubulars that they're almost too hard to pass up.

Has anyone else noticed this in their local marketplaces/craiglist/etc? Are tubulars really considered to be that antiquated?

I just picked up a set of Zipp 404 Firecrests, with brand new tires, Dura Ace cassette, and ti skewers, for $500 on Marketplace. The guy I bought them from was the original owner and rarely used them -- the wheels could almost pass off as new.

As someone who enjoys wrenching on bikes almost as much as I enjoy riding them, the process and setup of gluing tires has never been viewed as a hassle for me (in fact it can be cathartic when done right!), and I've never viewed tubulars as any more or less difficult to use, fix a flat, etc than clinchers -- if anything clinchers have left me stranded on the side of the road more than anything else. Maybe these factors contribute to the stoke I feel about the current tubular market?

Am I taking crazy pills? If so you all need to tell me before I buy another wheelset.
Eventually they get very annoying. The stretching and gluing never bothered me. In fact, the mounting process was almost calming in the way wheelbuilding is calming. What I didn't like was the glue removal process/ rim prepping. So much crud that needed to be removed.

That said, I would be using them, if I were still participating in mass-start road racing.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:29 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
I am up to 3 sets. One new XTR carbon set, a barely used Rolf set, and a CX set with T11 hubs and PDX tires, Maj/Tom rims.

All three have fresh glued tubeless tubulars, that is what got me back to the table. 33mm PDX/CX, 30mm Strada Biancas, and 25mm Clement LGGs.

I think old farts, if I can speak for my self, get tired of one upping stable/bikes continually and dial in spending on this aspect eventually as a focal point. I have done so anyway..
Old 01-21-2021, 04:30 PM

I love tubulars.
I tape tires. BUT I hate removing the glue left by the previous owner
I also got a nice deal for 303 Firecrests 2 months ago. The front hub was under that 2015 recall... so after some back and forth with SRAM's rep here in Canada I got the front hub replaced, along with the spokes.
Taped conti tubs and good to go - light and fast!
Old 01-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Regarding the glue removal process, I dip a green scotch brite pad in some VM&P Naptha (available at any Lowe's/Home Depot) and gently scrub at the glue around the rim, which usually comes right off without any trouble.

I have never found it to be that messy/difficult -- every time I've used this method the rim bed comes out looking pretty close to brand new. I can usually get a rim cleaned and ready for re-gluing in 10-15 minutes.

Compared to other removal methods like acetone, I also find it requires a LOT less elbow grease, and it doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly as acetone so you don't need to use nearly as much solvent.

Similarly described by Psimet here:

https://youtu.be/xyWDh12ypos

Just something to consider if you find the maintenance/re-gluing process to be annoying and/or a deterrent to tubulars!

Last edited by hoj; 01-21-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:01 PM
DELETE ACCNT

tubs have always been inexpensive on the secondary market.
Not worth the hassle for me anymore, even though I love how they ride.
I have one set of wheels left, glue is probably dried out but just keep it to remind myself what a pita they are

If you like the process, than it is a bargain for sure.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Regarding the glue removal process, I dip a green scotch brite pad in some VM&P Naptha (available at any Lowe's/Home Depot) and gently scrub at the glue around the rim, which usually comes right off without any trouble.

I have never found it to be that messy/difficult -- every time I've used this method the rim bed comes out looking pretty close to brand new. I can usually get a rim cleaned and ready for re-gluing in 10-15 minutes.

Compared to other removal methods like acetone, I also find it requires a LOT less elbow grease, and it doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly as acetone so you don't need to use nearly as much solvent.

Similarly described by Psimet here:

https://youtu.be/xyWDh12ypos

Just something to consider if you find the maintenance/re-gluing process to be annoying and/or a deterrent to tubulars!
thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
thanks for the tip.
I use heat when needed. My Rolf CX58s had tape over old glue, and that was old. So heat gun with a hand made walnut scraper, lots of spinning in the stand to distribute heat, finish off with acetone before old school mastic application process. Got well over a golf ball size goo ball off each...
Old 01-21-2021, 07:58 PM

Agreed. I'm hoarding tires and looking for more wheel deals. Orange Seal and away I ride. No tubular punctures / failures in over three years.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
What I didn't like was the glue removal process/ rim prepping. So much crud that needed to be removed.

That said, I would be using them, if I were still participating in mass-start road racing.
The carogna glue remover works really well, FWIW.

I could see going back to them for 'cross. Just so nice to ride.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM

The market is awesome, and only going to get better. Problem is, the prices are so good it’s hard to pass some up even when you already have the same thing.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 AM

Currently have:

- HED Stinger 4
- DA 9100 C60
- Bora Ultra 50

All picked up at very reasonable prices.

Not sure what I'll keep long term but they have been fun to play with for sure.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The carogna glue remover works really well, FWIW.

I could see going back to them for 'cross. Just so nice to ride.
I just tried it. It didn't work well at all...

I'm concerned that my two tubes were clear goop. It wasn't red as advertised and really made a mess of the rims despite trying at various intervals.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM

carbon tubular market has always been pretty good as a buyer.