Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 AM

Here is one, which in times of hopelessness, brought comfort and light. Wendell Berry, The Peace of Wild
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210120-205032.jpg (89.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by oldfatslow; 01-21-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
Here is one, which in times of hopelessness, brought comfort and light. Wendell Berry, The Peace of Wild
Wendell Berry is so wonderful. A friend gave me one of his books for a wedding gift. I saw him read in Missouri about 8 years ago driving through Columbia on a business trip. Sure me the trip more enjoyable.

One of the best “spoke word” albums I have ever heard is “The Weary Blues”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weary_Blues_(album)

Langston Hughes reads his poems over jazz arranged and partially played by Charlie Mingus. I highly recommend.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I think you should start your own thread instead of usurping one that is interesting. I’m not really into the intellectual-banality movement.
Shame. The coffee is fantastic!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Wendell Berry is so wonderful. A friend gave me one of his books for a wedding gift. I saw him read in Missouri about 8 years ago driving through Columbia on a business trip. Sure me the trip more enjoyable.

One of the best “spoke word” albums I have ever heard is “The Weary Blues”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weary_Blues_(album)

Langston Hughes reads his poems over jazz arranged and partially played by Charlie Mingus. I highly recommend.
Will definitely check this out. “Fables of Faubus” is a classic.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:50 AM
what's a little rust?

I don't know that poetry is the type of art that becomes a national wave. At least, not as complete poems. It rises to the surface from time to time.

Bits and pieces are the way poetry seems to spread in the common vernacular. People are already excerpting their favorite lines from Amanda's poem and sharing at that level--a few words at a time.

Anyone asks me about poems, I point to two standards from Elizabeth Bishop: The Moose, and The Fish.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:32 AM

It already is. It's just performed over a beat and called hip-hop.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Wendell Berry is so wonderful.
We're proud of him here.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I strongly recommend Bill Porter, aka. Red Pine, for plumbing these depths...

https://www.coppercanyonpress.org/authors/bill-porter/

His translations of Chinese poetry reflect his deep understanding of Zen and the Buddhadharma more broadly. He approaches them with the humility of a true master.

His travelogue books on the Zen poets and hermits are incredible as well: Road to Heaven and Zen Baggage. As are his translations of key Buddhist texts, most notably the Lankavatara Sutra, which, atmo, is one of the most useful and direct teachings of mahayana buddhism out there - and it reads like poetry.

My wife grew up in his hometown, and I had the opportunity to talk with him for a bit at one of his readings, coming up on a decade ago (wow, time flies) - he's just generally a great guy, a little wild around the edges but also grounded and genuine. Worth looking up his work if you haven't so far.
Some interesting things here that I'll have to check out.

From the Lankavatara Sutra (my recollection):
'All things change,
But No Thing changes.'

A key point.
I'll see myself out.....
Old 01-21-2021, 12:50 PM

I turned it on while she was midway through her poem. I sat there kind of in awe, honestly. I had no idea who she was of course, but found her incredibly engaging by her words and personality. I know nothing about poetry. But I could tell this young lady is wise beyond her years. It was beautiful and very thought provoking. We will be seeing much more of Amanda in the future, and that is awesome.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:56 PM

Anderson Cooper did an 8 minute interview with her, pretty fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I turned it on while she was midway through her poem. I sat there kind of in awe, honestly. I had no idea who she was of course, but found her incredibly engaging by her words and personality. I know nothing about poetry. But I could tell this young lady is wise beyond her years. It was beautiful and very thought provoking. We will be seeing much more of Amanda in the future, and that is awesome.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:26 PM

https://www.cnn.com/videos/style/202...ration-vpx.cnn

My three favorite lines from that interview:
  • "It was really hard for me not to just copy and paste 'My Shot' and email it 'here's my poem!'"
  • Her mantra to herself before every performance: "I'm the daughter of black writers, we are descended from freedom fighters who broke their chains and changed the world. They call me."
  • Hillary Clinton tweeted "She's [Gorman] promised to run for president in 2036 and I for one can't wait." Gorman's response: "Madam President Gorman . . . I like the sound of that."

Amanda, and Harris' inauguration, brought both my daughter and myself to tears . . . for me, partly because of the impact both had on my daughter.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:04 PM

The interview is great. She is so composed and such a great, comfortable speaker.

Anderson Cooper has had the opportunity to interview all sorts of people, and he seems genuinely impressed by her as well.

What stood out most for me was

hope is not something we ask of others, but something that we must demand of ourselves.

very well put.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Boeuf Chane

It's interesting that Kennedy, still a relatively young man at the time of his inauguration, chose Robert Frost, and Biden, an old man, chose Amanda Gorman.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It's interesting that Kennedy, still a relatively young man at the time of his inauguration, chose Robert Frost, and Biden, an old man, chose Amanda Gorman.
Much wiser choice than choosing someone older than himself 😉
Old 01-21-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
And she studied deeply past inaugurations, the black struggle, and then blended Jan 6. Also she said that she doesn't visualize she thinks in words.
Biden needed to weave to new generation, think Bernie supporters, an old white man doing it would of lost the punch.

Personally I could of done someone different than Jennifer Lopez, perhaps a Classical Latin singer.