Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 AM

OT: Will poetry become a new phenom?

Amanda Gorman's writing/reading at the presidential inauguration was so beautiful (watch if you haven't seen/heard). Think any chance poetry will become more popular in schools, books, and public recitals? Let's hope so
Old 01-21-2021, 07:42 AM

I agree that her passion was inspiring. what a cool opportunity for her to have the national stage like that.

poetry is either something you get and appreciate, or you dont. i remember as a boy in school the thought of reading poetry made me nauseous, much like classic literature and history, etc. It was not until well into my adult years that i found a real love of history, literature, art, etc.

i am with you in that maybe this exposure to the nation of a young women's passionate talent can inspire some to the art of poetry, but i can not see it taking any real dominant place in american society.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

A spoken word poet won the latest season of America’s Got Talent.

So, yes, I believe this art form is a coming thing.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 AM

We can only hope it does.

dave
Old 01-21-2021, 08:14 AM

I hope that Slam poetry and Krumping finally get the recognition they deserve.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 AM

Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize in Literature, and he's a very wealthy man. So "poetry" can be commercially successful.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:22 AM

It was quite a performance, and her title is well-deserved. I watched it twice. I'm hopeful that she will inspire others..
Old 01-21-2021, 08:23 AM

I hope so. For what it is worth, my kids Public school spend about a month writing poems. It’s really beautiful.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 AM

As an English major in college, some twenty odd years ago, I read a lot of poetry - gobs of it.. The tough thing is so much modern poetry is just unapproachable word-vomit.....obscure for the sake of obscurity. At its best, poetry conveys feelings and emotions through the calculated use of language in a way that prose has a hard time approaching. It stops you and makes you think. Over the years my poetry reading has gravitated more to the spiritual side of things - poets who are communicating universal truths about the nature of reality and humans' place in the cosmos..... that's a deep vein to mine that travels across cultures and millennia. Mary Oliver to Basho. Han Shan and Hafiz. Whitman and Ginsberg. And Snyder. And Rupi Kuar, who I guess you could say is Amanda Gorman's contemporary - another poet who is not hung up on convention but more is using the medium as a way to connect and ennoble. I dig it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rupi_Kuar.JPG (37.6 KB, 259 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Robin (she/her)

Lets bring back Slam poetry!
Old 01-21-2021, 08:28 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
her passion was inspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
A spoken word poet won the latest season of America’s Got Talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_S View Post
It was quite a performance
I still haven't seen the entire thing, but the excerpts I've watched reminded me that there are two components to spoken word poetry:

The words...and the speaking.

Amanda's poem was exactly what this country needed to hear, and a wonderful addition to the many equally eloquent and poignant speeches uttered on that day.

But her delivery was astonishing. Poetry may or may not become a new phenom, but Amanda Gorman most certainly will. I would listen to her recite the phonebook.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Yes - it was so great!!
I read that she wrote the second half of the poem after the riots on Jan 6th.
Inspiration/creativity comes quickly to those who have it - she clearly has it.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Amen, Brother Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Snip
I would listen to her recite the phonebook.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:38 AM

I too was a creative writing major in college (and fortunately got the engineering degree too, a bad poet's gotta eat!) Dan, you and I read eye to eye on our poets!

“This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.” – Mary Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
As an English major in college, some twenty odd years ago, I read a lot of poetry - gobs of it.. The tough thing is so much modern poetry is just unapproachable word-vomit.....obscure for the sake of obscurity. At its best, poetry conveys feelings and emotions through the calculated use of language in a way that prose has a hard time approaching. It stops you and makes you think. Over the years my poetry reading has gravitated more to the spiritual side of things - poets who are communicating universal truths about the nature of reality and humans' place in the cosmos..... that's a deep vein to mine that travels across cultures and millennia. Mary Oliver to Basho. Han Shan and Hafiz. Whitman and Ginsberg. And Snyder. And Rupi Kuar, who I guess you could say is Amanda Gorman's contemporary - another poet who is not hung up on convention but more is using the medium as a way to connect and ennoble. I dig it.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
I agree that her passion was inspiring. what a cool opportunity for her to have the national stage like that.

poetry is either something you get and appreciate, or you dont. i remember as a boy in school the thought of reading poetry made me nauseous, much like classic literature and history, etc. It was not until well into my adult years that i found a real love of history, literature, art, etc.

i am with you in that maybe this exposure to the nation of a young women's passionate talent can inspire some to the art of poetry, but i can not see it taking any real dominant place in american society.
This.