Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 PM

Old Titanium Advice

Hey folks,

I’ve just started riding again for the exercise after falling into a lockdown funk for most of 2020. Guess what: it helps!

I live in LA (Glendale) and have managed to find a satisfying, daily 30-minute low-traffic loop—a rarity in these parts. I’m exiled from most of my possessions, including my beloved 2002 Litespeed Tuscany, and have been riding an all-carbon Scattante that I nabbed on Craigslist for $300. It’s “fine”, but the drivetrain is tired, the hoods are melting, the tape is getting ratty... basically, I feel like I deserve better (ha!) and I’m not sure I like this bike enough to sink money into it. I’d rather flip it for a small profit and pick up another titanium bike instead.

So I’ve got a lead on an old Merlin Road from ca. 2000 for a quasi-reasonable $850. It looks to be my size or slightly big (59 or 61 frame) with a standard top tube—a minor bummer as I’ve been dreaming of a slightly more relaxed ride lately, but my back and shoulders can still handle some lean. Mostly era-correct Dura Ace (9-speed) stuff with weird black brifters I can’t ID, a Look carbon fork, etc. The photos are miserable and the bike is far enough out of my way that I’ll feel obliged to buy it regardless of its condition. And judging from the large chainring, it’s got some miles on it.

I was thinking of holding out for a swanker Moots ride, but prices around here are bananas right now and I don’t think I can justify sinking more than $1500 into a good used bike at the mo’.

Here are some pics—all comments welcome—the snarkier the better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53BF87A3-BF84-4F65-A430-F002515F74DA.jpg (120.6 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg 681A8780-6C60-4EAE-B8B5-343E8B6C7C59.jpg (140.3 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg 7CD950BF-23BB-477D-A00C-00E3EBFC64A5.jpg (45.6 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg D49A11DD-C1DF-4A71-9AC7-F75B8C90FD01.jpg (65.2 KB, 774 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:59 PM
Boeuf Chane

It does look big, especially relative to the wheels. Normally I can guess a frame's size based on the the HT, but this one doesn't seem that long, and yet the wheels look small and the chainstays seem long.

If it's your size and you can get the seller down to, say, $600 then maybe...
Old 01-17-2021, 08:05 PM

I had a Merlin from that generation, although IIRC, mine was an Extralight. They're great frames, and a turnkey Merlin for $600 or $850, if it fits you, would be a great deal.

If it fits you.

If it doesn't, hard pass.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 01-17-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 PM
ZhugeLiang

As someone who is actually riding a Merlin of similar vintage and comparable components, this is the way i see it....

The bike did not slow me down one bit. If I am held back, I only have myself to blame, the bike did nothing wrong.

If everything is in good working order, and it fits you, I think the asking price is pretty reasonable.

If possible, do a test ride.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 PM

Youre getting ganked on the shifters, but its not a bad deal for an awesome bike. Id use that as negotiating starting point
Old 01-17-2021, 08:08 PM

Those black shifters are likely Sora or Tiagra— modern replacements to the 3 x 9 Dura Ace shifters. This echos the bike has a lot of miles, because someone wore out the original shifters.

For $850 it’s an ok deal. To me, I see it as a $600 frame set and (maybe) $250 in parts to resell. Then you build it with the parts you want. It’s a project...

FWIW, those wheels may be nice especially if Dura Ace hubs. You can run 11-34 11 speed cassettes on those hubs but not smaller.

If it fits I still think Cambridge era Merlins are as good as any Ti rim brake bike built today.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
If it fits I still think Cambridge era Merlins are as good as any Ti rim brake bike built today.
Kinda wish I hadn't sold my ExtraLight, shoulda been a keeper, but it made room for my C50...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't ride that if someone paid me to but it looks perfect for you.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:28 PM

I guess that was one of the snarky comments. If it fits and it's in decent shape I say go for it. But only if it fits.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I wouldn't ride that if someone paid me to but it looks perfect for you.
THAT’S the reply I was waiting for!

All very good points, fellas.

I’ve already done the haggling (from $1000) and the bike was actually gifted to a nice older lady to sell for charity... Kinda takes the fun out of a proper lowball offer knowing that I’m almost literally taking food out of someone’s mouth. (I suppose this is the kind of test that separates a true scoundrel from a noble bargain hound.)

Given that I’m looking at a 1.5 hour drive just to see it, and the fit is a toss-up, might be wise to let it go and wait for a surer bet to come along.

Appreciate your two cents, everyone. Well on my way to a quarter.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 PM

Since your ability to enjoy as much drop as you used to is fading a frame that is toward the bigger side will make it easier to get the bars up a bit.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:46 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
I’ve already done the haggling (from $1000) and the bike was actually gifted to a nice older lady to sell for charity... Kinda takes the fun out of a proper lowball offer knowing that I’m almost literally taking food out of someone’s mouth. (I suppose this is the kind of test that separates a true scoundrel from a noble bargain hound.)

Given that I’m looking at a 1.5 hour drive just to see it, and the fit is a toss-up, might be wise to let it go and wait for a surer bet to come along.
OK, this is new information.

Let's assume the price isn't coming down any more, and that given where the money will be going, you'll be happy to spend it if the bike works out for you.

In that case it all comes down to fit. 1.5 hours isn't that long to drive if you think there's a decent likelihood that the frame will fit.

If I were 75% or more certain that it was a good fit I'd go check it out.

Do it for the kids... (or whoever the beneficiaries of the charity will be)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Since your ability to enjoy as much drop as you used to is fading a frame that is toward the bigger side will make it easier to get the bars up a bit.
I’d been wondering about that, Ken. I was successfully indoctrinated into the Grant Petersen “Go Big” frame philosophy and went overboard with a cheap XL Zunow frame a few years ago. THAT turned out to be a terrible mistake because it had a very aggressive racing angles and super long top tube to match.

This Merlin seems relaxed enough that the trick might actually work with a shorter stem, though...
Old 01-17-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
THAT’S the reply I was waiting for!

All very good points, fellas.

Appreciate your two cents, everyone. Well on my way to a quarter.
Always glad to help
Old 01-17-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
OK, this is new information.

Let's assume the price isn't coming down any more, and that given where the money will be going, you'll be happy to spend it if the bike works out for you.

In that case it all comes down to fit. 1.5 hours isn't that long to drive if you think there's a decent likelihood that the frame will fit.

If I were 75% or more certain that it was a good fit I'd go check it out.

Do it for the kids... (or whoever the beneficiaries of the charity will be)
It’s certainly a legitimate silver lining to what would normally be an intoxicating cocktail of annoyance and heartbreak.

Last edited by johnnylarue; 01-17-2021 at 10:14 PM.