Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 PM

It's a pain if you're parking a vehicle in the garage, but just engaging the bolt on the side of the door can protect you from the emergency release trick and someone grabbing an opener out of a vehicle in the driveway or spoofing the code. Low-tech, inconvenient, but zero $.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:06 PM

Thanks

Strava location already obscured. Not that I use it much. Also did as I don’t want anyone knowing where my daughter lives.

I realize wheel can be taken off fairly easily. Just trying to make it a little harder. I can do large eye hooks pretty easily.

I do have a MyQ garage door opener so have motion sensed lights with that and get alerts when door opens.

I’ve seen the info on thieves opening garage door with wire coat hanger. They actually trip the metal lever not grab the rope. Windows are frosted so that’s going to be a bit harder. There’s a product on amazon to block it but it gets terrible reviews. I think I’m going to zip tie the lever. The opener has battery backup because it’s the law in California, so need for disengaging the door very unlikely . Likely created because of a former co worker who called in sick whenever power was out because he couldn’t get out of garage. County employee.

GPS tracker sounds cool. But I’m thinking about my Tiles. To be clued into location they have to come within range of someone who has app. Which actually got my keys back once. Because then I knew who had them. But, if I had a tile in the seat tube would it actually be able to tell location with enough accuracy to find bikes?

Thx

Jon
Old 01-17-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
It's a pain if you're parking a vehicle in the garage, but just engaging the bolt on the side of the door can protect you from the emergency release trick and someone grabbing an opener out of a vehicle in the driveway or spoofing the code. Low-tech, inconvenient, but zero $.
Guaranteed someone at some stage will forget the bolts in place and hit that open button.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Keep you bolt and cable cutters inside the house and remember you are just being time if they really want it.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:15 PM

barking dog motion detector alarm

doberman or pit bull.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlance View Post
Guaranteed someone at some stage will forget the bolts in place and hit that open button.
At least on my opener, it doesn't do anything bad. Door opens an inch, hits the bolt, the safety mechanism stops it. Close it, undo the bolt.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
common!
You can get a auto garage door closer at home depot. It will shut it after you drive out.
That is GOOD TO KNOW. Either that, or get some of that Prevagen stuff (or whatever it's called).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
What size frame do you ride?
That is sensitive, privileged information. Only those in the Circle of Trust have access to that information.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
Chamberlin makes a WiFi garage door opener that gets connected to the MyQ app on your phone. You can then use the app to check the open/close status of the garage door along with the history of open/close times. The app also lets you open/close your garage door remotely.

30 bucks
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chamber...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-17-2021, 07:50 PM

I keep mine in the house. Heated, cooled, dry. 2 prior houses I made a little store room in the garage to hang bikes and outdoor stuff, so had another door to go through. Also heated and cooled.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:51 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
There have been quite a few cases of illegal entry to garages "secured" by typical electric openers. The crooks bend a hook in the end of a stiff wire (coat hanger?) and thread it through the gap at the top of the door, hook the T-Handle emergency door relief and pull on it to disconnect the opener from the door. Then they just lift the door up for entry. It's probably a good idea to remove the handle or tape it up so it can't be snagged from outside the garage.
They will be disappointed if they do that at our house, Chamberlain has an electronic deadbolt on the kind of door opener we have.
I'm sure they can get in, but it would require a lot of destruction which I doubt they want to do in front of our house.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
Chamberlin makes a WiFi garage door opener that gets connected to the MyQ app on your phone. You can then use the app to check the open/close status of the garage door along with the history of open/close times. The app also lets you open/close your garage door remotely.
That same garage door opener can be programmed to auto close in 5 or 10 minutes (maybe less as well, I can't remember). That's how mine is set up...and I live in fear of SWMBO leaving the SUV hatch open and going into the house. I may wire in a second optical sensor at hatch level to keep this from happening. I think wiring it in serial will do the trick, as the circuit should be NC. NO disrupts the circuit and keeps the door from closing.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-17-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti_or_die View Post
+5 on this: “Change your Strava settings so your start/finish location is obscured”
Only post your Zwift rides and that's not a problem

Or conversely they always think you're on vacation... Innsbruck, Ventoux, Richmond , some island in the Pacific, Paris, New York, London
Old 01-17-2021, 09:16 PM

bluetooth padlocks are really nice. No more dealing with keys or combos. They seem easier and more efficient even though they may not be.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-17-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
put a GPS tracker (like Tile) in the seat tube of all of the bikes and make sure they're covered to full value on your homeowners insurance policy.

If someone came looking for them they'll likely take them unless they're bolted to the wall. The rest isnt worth worrying about.
Dont these have a battery life that would expire after time?
A LBS puts these on/in bikes that they let out for test rides. One never came back last summer but was found by the local PD via the GPS.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Dont these have a battery life that would expire after time?
A LBS puts these on/in bikes that they let out for test rides. One never came back last summer but was found by the local PD via the GPS.
Tile doesn't use GPS. It uses bluetooth. The batteries last a year or two and the app will alert you when they are low.

The way one finds their stolen bike with a tile implanted in it is the owner marks the bike as stolen or lost within the app and then if another tile user passes by the stolen bike within a bluetooth signal Tile will mark where the bike is and alert the owner.

GPS is much better but are more expensive and need to be charged.