Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2021, 06:06 PM

Lake CXZ/MXZ176 Winter Shoes - Any Experiences?

These are the shoes in question:

https://www.lakecycling.com/collecti...32176480223326
https://lakecycling.com/products/mxz...32176541302878

My feet have been really cold this winter, and I am done with shoe covers and want to buy some dedicated winter shoes. Anyone here own a pair of either? If so, what do you like / not like about them?

I am also torn between getting the road or MTB version. I typically ride 60% road / 40% gravel, with SPD-SL pedals for the road and SPD pedals for gravel. I was thinking about getting the MTB version and just using SPD pedals on my road bike during the winter; is that a bad idea? I don't know if the MTB versions have a much more flexible sole and could give me hotspots on long and intense road rides...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:27 AM

Since it seems no one here has tried these (or simply did not see this thread), I figured I would provide an update as I went ahead and purchased both the MTB and Road version of these shoes.

I haven't had a chance to try out the MTB ones yet, but I did wear the road ones yesterday for the first time. It was 40 deg at the start with a "feels like" temperature of 34 deg due to the wind. I wore a pair on wool socks with the shoes (normal weight ones, not winter weight) and no shoe covers. My feet were nice and toasty the whole time, perhaps overly so. I think next time I am going to try it with summer socks and see how that feels. But it was good to see that the shoes indeed work! The toe-box is also quite roomy if I wanted to ride with heavy socks on really cold days.

I did get a slight hot spot on my right foot but I will give it some more time to see how they break in. But I would rather have a slight hot spot than have freezing feet

Old 01-21-2021, 02:28 PM

I actually didn't know Lake made these vs. the super-chunky boot style winter shoes. Glad to hear the initial impression seems positive. I would be curious how they feel in even colder temps (32F-36F) if you get a ride in them at slightly lower temps.

May keep an eye out and snag a pair myself at some point.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:59 PM

What size are you looking for? I've got a pair of Shimano SH-MW81, size 47, I've only used once on a fat tire exploration around Yosemite. Worked like a charm. Kept my feet toasty warm and dry. And pretty comfortable to walk in.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Amazon had some cxz176 shoes, so I ordered the last pair in my regular 8.5 size. The were too short with a tight toe box and the wide last was really too wide for my average width foot. I'd probably need a full size larger, but each size also gets wider, according to the size chart on the box.

I notice that most online sellers have little to offer in winter shoes, with most having only a few sizes left. I usually have no problem with any brand of shoe that has an accurate conversion chart. There are some where I'd have to pick between an 8.25 and 8.75.

It's interesting that in sidi shoes the conversion is 42.5 and fizik, shimano and lake are 41 or 41.5.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 PM

I measured my feet per Lake's sizing guide, and it suggested size 46. I am also a 46 in Fizik, Shimano and Specialized. Interestingly enough the left shoe feels a little tighter length-wise than the right shoe, which is a bit bizarre because my right foot is actually slightly longer...