Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 PM

Wow! My Chainlink (LINK) is doing real good
Old 01-18-2021, 11:17 AM

Can't promise the numbers are correct, and wouldn't want to tell people what they should do with their money. But this seems like a massive societal cost of Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies).

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1...495733761?s=21
Old 01-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Can't promise the numbers are correct, and wouldn't want to tell people what they should do with their money. But this seems like a massive societal cost of Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies).

I very much doubt that people care, as long as it makes them money.

No different from a coal mine.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:08 PM

I have not been following the bitcoin story closely, but there was an interesting story in the Washington Post today about how bitcoin mining was causing blackouts in Iran due to excessive strain on the power grid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...aming-bitcoin/
Old 01-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post

Interesting- ive known about the server farms and periodic reported blackouts, but have never looked into how much sheer power is required to mine this mythical stuff.
This has definitely motivated me to take a look at the numbers.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:28 AM
cnighbor2

Bitcoin is a way to hide ones wealth and avoid taxes and criminal actions

Because Bitcoin is a way to hide ones wealth and avoid taxes and criminal actions I avoid it, Has it allows drug dealers etc to avoid the law
Old 01-19-2021, 10:57 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
Because Bitcoin is a way to hide ones wealth and avoid taxes and criminal actions I avoid it, Has it allows drug dealers etc to avoid the law
this is... a terrible take. there's literally a transaction ledger for everything and is becoming more and more regulated by the day.

imagine saying you avoid paper currency because drug dealers accept it as a form of payment.

there are so many good reasons to avoid buying into BTC, but the morality argument is off base.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
this is... a terrible take. there's literally a transaction ledger for everything and is becoming more and more regulated by the day.

imagine saying you avoid paper currency because drug dealers accept it as a form of payment.

there are so many good reasons to avoid buying into BTC, but the morality argument is off base.
Uh, not so sure, isn't this the same reason they got rid of the 500 euro note? https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...in-ladens.html
Old 01-19-2021, 12:05 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Uh, not so sure, isn't this the same reason they got rid of the 500 euro note? https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...in-ladens.html
"But eliminating it may not solve the problem." probably because elimination of the side-effect does nothing to solve the root issue. I seriously suspect a lot of negativity surrounding cryptocurrency stems from misunderstanding of technology and fearmongering.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
"But eliminating it may not solve the problem." probably because elimination of the side-effect does nothing to solve the root issue. I seriously suspect a lot of negativity surrounding cryptocurrency stems from misunderstanding of technology and fearmongering.
fully agree. Though I would say there is a tinge of crime/shiftyness which is definitely a contributing factor.

As to avoiding paper currency due to drug dealers/criminals, I was surprised last time I was in Sweden, in '19, basically no paper money anywhere anymore, even the homeless folks have square. If you haven't read that story, one of the ABBA founder's kids got robbed and they mounted a campaign against paper money (older article): https://www.wired.com/2016/05/sweden-cashless-economy/
Old 01-19-2021, 04:05 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Maybe....the technology is certain impressive, and has applications beyond cryptocurrency. I do think (uninformed opinion) that at some point there are going to be environmental issues with the power consumption.

However, you cannot ignore that this medium of exchange allows anonymous financial transactions that facilitate some pretty heinous criminal activity, not to mention tax avoidance and such. I would argue that if you need an anonymous financial transaction, it is cuz you are doing something illegal and/or trying to hide it from the government/taxing authorities.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Now at 31,888. I guess it will rebound to 35,000 by today's close. If you enjoy roller coasters, Bitcoin is for you.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:01 PM

It looks like it's having a bit of an adjustment. as they say BTFD.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Did you guys all sell your BTC and buy GameStop?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 PM
Embracing my

The Gamestop story is pretty interesting/funny...as long as you're not one of the hedgefunds that got caught with their pants down.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ng/ar-BB1d9jfz