Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Next Wheelset Advice - upgrade from Shamal Mille

I've seen a lot of deals for rim brake wheels recently so I got the bug to get a new wheelset. Currently, I am using Shamal Mille C15. Which I am very happy with.
I'm using rim brakes on roads or light gravel. So, no disk brakes. As far as clearance I'm using 28C vittoria tires on the C15 rims with no issue with the enve fork or the Campagnolo brakes. Going up to C17 or the wider belgium+ would I have to size down to the 25C tires?
First option is to get the same iShamal Mille C17 version.
The second is to get something hand built, like a Hed belgium+ with white industries T11 hubs, or CK hubs.
Third option is to get a second hand carbon wheelset, like zipp 303 or enve 3.4
Budget wise, would like to stay around $1K US or $1400 Canadian $.
Anyone that has experience with either of these wheels I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks, in advance!

Last edited by spinarelli; 02-14-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM

FSE or DT Swiss OXIC?

I've heard good things about FSE carbon wheels but have no personal experience. Maybe others can chime in??

I've been really impressed with the DT Swiss PR1400 OXICs. Great looking wheels, great build quality including offset rear rim and available at very good prices.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
I've seen a lot of deals for rim brake wheels recently so I got the bug to get a new wheelset. Currently, I am using Shamal Mille C15. Which I am very happy with.
I'm using rim brakes on roads or light gravel. So, no disk brakes. As far as clearance I'm using 28C vittoria tires on the C15 rims with no issue with the enve fork or the Campagnolo brakes. Going up to C17 or the wider belgium+ would I have to size down to the 25C tires?
First option is to get the same iShamal Mille C17 version.
The second is to get something hand built, like a Hed belgium+ with white industries T11 hubs, or CK hubs.
Third option is to get a second hand carbon wheelset, like zipp 303 or enve 3.4
Budget wise, would like to stay around $1K.
Anyone that has experience with either of these wheels I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks, in advance!

I’ve got the new Mille’s and they are great wheels. They feel like they will outlast me they seem so solid and are the best stopping rim brake bike I’ve had ( with the blue pads)

I’ve also got an older set of enve 3.4 with the non ses / dt Swiss 240s and they are the fastest wheels I own, but they don’t stop well at all, and even less so in the wet.

I’m also in the market for a new set for a new build and can’t decide what to try next.

Neutrons are my all time favorite so I’m tempted to just find out a decent set of those.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 PM

I have a newer set of 303s, which are nice, but for me being a Clydesdale there is nothing that compares to the quality of the high-end Fulcrum/Campy line-up, nothing in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:48 PM

I have some HED Belgiums on Phil Wood hubs for a single speed that are more than nice. If you are enjoying Campy, would you consider a used set of Bora's? Enve's are pretty bomb proof and you can probably find a set around that $1000 price point. No bad choices.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM

I would get something without aluminum spokes. Shamals are nice, but ride harsh imo. I would look into a pair of second hand boras for your budget.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
I've heard good things about FSE carbon wheels but have no personal experience. Maybe others can chime in??
I have a set of FSE25s CT and they are fantastic. I've been using them with Campy Reds and the power/modulation have been flawless.

If you're keen on trying them, PM me. Looking to get rid of the set I have for the same but a bit deeper.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:30 PM

I've got shamal mille c15 and also a pair of shamal ultra c17. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two rim widths. So the investment in the c17 wouldn't be much of an upgrade. I'd consider an upgrade to be Bora One 35.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks, everyone. The suggestions are great.

Yes, I've been looking for a pair of second hand Boras. They never seem to come up locally, Canada,

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I have some HED Belgiums on Phil Wood hubs for a single speed that are more than nice. If you are enjoying Campy, would you consider a used set of Bora's? Enve's are pretty bomb proof and you can probably find a set around that $1000 price point. No bad choices.
Good point about the C17, no noticeable upgrade. My C15s are great and look almost new after thousands of kms. I do go through a lot of the blue brake pads though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've got shamal mille c15 and also a pair of shamal ultra c17. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two rim widths. So the investment in the c17 wouldn't be much of an upgrade. I'd consider an upgrade to be Bora One 35.
How do the 303 brake compared to the Campagnolo wheels? Especially in the wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPorsche View Post
I have a newer set of 303s, which are nice, but for me being a Clydesdale there is nothing that compares to the quality of the high-end Fulcrum/Campy line-up, nothing in my opinion.
FSE - never seen them in person but look great for the price. I see there's a dealer in town so I will go check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post

I've been really impressed with the DT Swiss PR1400 OXICs. Great looking wheels, great build quality including offset rear rim and available at very good prices.
Thanks for the offer but being in Canada shipping wheelsets across the boarder can be an expensive task, even used/second hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheosibal View Post
I have a set of FSE25s CT and they are fantastic. I've been using them with Campy Reds and the power/modulation have been flawless.

If you're keen on trying them, PM me. Looking to get rid of the set I have for the same but a bit deeper.

Last edited by spinarelli; 02-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Bora One 35 vs the 303?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I’m also in the market for a new set for a new build and can’t decide what to try next.
Neutrons are my all time favorite so I’m tempted to just find out a decent set of those.
If you love neutrons a certain website across the pond has them for less then $600. You can probably get them even cheaper with coupons or voucher codes. And free shipping.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Hard to go wrong with handbuilts using a strong, wide rim and top-shelf hubs. I love my two sets of T11s > Archetypes, and even handbuilts with more value-oriented hubs ride great and are super reliable. $1K US will buy a lot of wheel.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Bora One 35 vs the 303?

I had both (and still have the boras). Pound for pound, the boras are better than the zipps without question. Zipp hubs are pretty bad (the freehub body is soft) and the construction and overall finish of the wheels don’t compare to campy. Braking with the stock brake pads are also better on the boras. I haven’t ridden either in wet weather though, so comparison is only for dry.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 AM

I own and ride both bora 35 and zipp 303 at the moment. boras get the slight nod. similar weight, similar profiles, boras seem a touch better in the wind, and the hubs are smoother.
For braking in rain, both seem ok to me. i think both brake nicely to be fair. i prefer my aluminum rims still in the wet, but they will handle surprises no issues
i think if you are trying to upgrade shamal milles, you go to the lighter version, the bora35! use shamals for rain
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. Going to get the Bora one 35. I will keep my eye open for some second hand ones. The cheapest I've found them new is PBK at just under $1500. Do they ever go below that?

I'm going to keep the shamals for the rainy days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I own and ride both bora 35 and zipp 303 at the moment. boras get the slight nod. similar weight, similar profiles, boras seem a touch better in the wind, and the hubs are smoother.
For braking in rain, both seem ok to me. i think both brake nicely to be fair. i prefer my aluminum rims still in the wet, but they will handle surprises no issues
i think if you are trying to upgrade shamal milles, you go to the lighter version, the bora35! use shamals for rain