Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 PM

OT: Sheds

Totally OT but looking for some advice and the brain trust here always comes through.

I got a pre-built Amish shed delivered back in December. First time owning one and want it to last. Should I stain or paint the interior floor? It’s on a gravel pad and sits pressure treated runners. I believe the flooring is pressure treated plywood. It’s just for storage, nothing fancy. I’m just thinking about leaking fluids from the tractor or snowblower, some snow melting in there in the winter that gets tracked in, water that might make its way in around the door, etc.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:17 PM
Randomhead

I wouldn't.

My shed has a gravel floor though.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:45 PM

vinyl floor covering could be nice and easier to maintain.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:27 AM
It's Polly!

If the floor is pressure treated, you won't need to coat it with anything, especially if its just for storage. Just keep it swept. PT plywood is quite durable. Like Ken Robb said, vinyl floor covering would be nice, but truly unnecessary.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:05 AM

I don't own one but my dept has owned several. They have all been good solid structures. Our range storage building has taken a beating for a good 15 years and is holding up well.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:20 AM

i'd lay some paint down
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
i'd lay some paint down
Thread hijack!

I'm renovating my condo. While removing the carpeting adjacent to the patio door, and below the living room window, I discovered some staining which lead me to believe it was from rain coming through the open window and patio door.

So I got the "bright" idea to paint the floor in the vicinity, even though I'm going to re-carpet. My logic is it will provide a measure of waterproofing to the plywood floor. I used primer and exterior paint.

Did I waste my time?
Old 04-10-2021, 09:48 AM

PT plywood floor will live thru hell and a handbasket. Dont worry about it, it's a shed, not a showroom!

Moreover, stain doesn't play well with new(er) PT wood. Give it several months or so if you want to add some color. Stain won't do anything for longevity. What is better is very good oil-based waterproof sealer, but again, give it at least several months for the PT to dry and season.

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-10-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:28 AM

Thanks all. I’m still a bit undecided. I have some Twp stain left over from staining the deck last year and thought it might be a good way to use it up. But just doing a small corner the fumes were a bit much.

My wife now wants a she shed out by the pool. I think we are going to use the vinyl plank flooring in that one as we have some left over from using it in the basement.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:40 AM

Keep in mind outside shed sweats and gets moisture. Flooring creates a barrier. Barrier with humidity creates mold. Mold creates blech.

In other words, not a good idea.

I lived in northeast and had large equipment shed, kept snowblower and other yard gear (lots of gas powered equipment, lawn tractor, etc), and speak from experience...

If you're in Michigan, then you will get wild seasonal temp swings also. Lots of humidity, esp as seasons transition.

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-10-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Descent fitness

I tried 12x12 peel and stick vinyl on a shed I built. Bad idea...moisture built up underneath and it basically became detached from the CDX floor. I removed the tile, painted it with sanded flooring paint and have been happy with the results.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't, but why not ask the sheds builder? Where I live, (Central Florida), with lots of humidity in summer, everything metal rusts in a shed. I have one in back, and it makes it's own weather.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:12 PM

Wow thanks for the info. I’ve never would have thought about the humidity being that high.

My wife actually called the builder but she spoke with the seemingly less knowledgeable helper. He said sure paint or stain it.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:22 PM

One of the advantages I see with a finish on a floor is easier cleanup. Sweeping up dust and such on a non finished floor takes more time. The disadvantage is that the finish will have to be renewed/changed from time to time. Just some food for thought.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Keep in mind outside shed sweats and gets moisture. Flooring creates a barrier. Barrier with humidity creates mold. Mold creates blech.

In other words, not a good idea.

I lived in northeast and had large equipment shed, kept snowblower and other yard gear (lots of gas powered equipment, lawn tractor, etc), and speak from experience...
Agreed. I built a shed and put down PT plywood for the flooring. Would not do that again. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll use PT decking boards.

BTW, I have a deck that with a partial sun/rain cover. The exposed PT decking is shot after 25 years; the sheltered decking looks like new. Surprising how much difference there is... I'm going to replace the exposed decking with mahogany this spring...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy