Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 AM

3T Exploro or Open UP: anyone here own one?

Looking for some real-life feedback on the 3T Exploro frameset. I know they can be polarizing, but let's put the whole "aero gravel" thing aside for a moment and let me know how you like the ride

The new flat mount version with the improved seatpost binder intrigues me...

Edit: now looking at the Open U.P. as well....

Thanks!

Last edited by fa63; 07-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:05 PM

This video of riding a pair of them in the Atlas Mountain Range of Morocco has nearly got my checkbook out. They look pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbFkfRRb7A

Must ... resist ... coolness.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM

The latest Bicycle Quarterly has a review.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM

3T Exploro: anyone here own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
This video of riding a pair of them in the Atlas Mountain Range of Morocco has nearly got my checkbook out. They look pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbFkfRRb7A

Must ... resist ... coolness.
Thanks for sharing; it was a fun video to watch! The bikes look pretty nice too

Last edited by fa63; 07-24-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post

Thanks; I will have to check it out.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM

it was mostly praise from Jan. Definitely worth a read if you're thinking about this frame.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 PM

That they are designed to be aero is weird for gravel bike. Or maybe it;s totally cool. I like that they are designed by the Cervelo guy, Vroomen White. I always liked the Cervelos, though I never owned or even rode one.
One design feature I like that is shared by the Open and also Firefly and some others is the dropped chainstay for clearance. Firefly apparently has a 3-D printed ti piece for this.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:48 PM

I rode one for a couple hours last week and was really impressed. It was setup as a gravel race bike with 650b x 47mm (?) tires. It was very well mannered, stiff but not harsh and seemed fast on pavement, particularly given the wide tires. They are too expensive for my blood but I enjoyed the ride.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 PM

I’ve had my Exploro for a few months, got almost 1000 miles on it and have enjoyed it immencly. I bought some Nextie 650b carbon wheels and run WTB Byways tubeless, no flats or any issues with that combo. I’ve don’t about 50% of those miles on gravel, which is why I picked the byways, they’re good enough for both paved roads and the long gravel sections that are on my routes.

The frame has been solid, I have the original Team version so no flat mounts and front 15x100 TA. I wish they would have gone with 12x100 to start with, limits the amount of wheels you can run as there isn’t a lot of 15x100 wheels. I’d love to snag some of the cheaper Roval deep 700c disc wheels but they’re only 12x100.

I’m running SRAM Force 1x with 10-42 cassette, Force clutch rear derailuer and a WolfTooth 42 oval ring up front. So far I haven’t run into any chain drop issues and it’s all be smooth sailing thus far.

I was looking at the OPEN UP(PER) but figured I’d go for the aero framed Exploro as I could run 650b gravel wheels or switch to deep 700c wheels for an aero road bike. It’s a very versatile machine and I don’t regret getting one
Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 PM
aka RAEKWON

Its a pretty cool bike and it crossed my mind but I ended up going for an OPEN instead.

Main reasons are - Hate the cable routing of the exploro (or bikes that have that routing). Aero seatpost not for me, I prefer a round seatpost so I can use the post I want. At the time post mount brakes (cool to see you now get the flat mounts). Color and aesthetics, just like the way the OPEN looks better.

That said I am sure its a great bike and I like what OPEN and 3T are doing
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM

One if the reasons I picked the Exploro over the UP was because the UP looked too much like my Cannondale Evo so I figured I have the skinny road bike covered and the Exploro could cover the “aero” road bike as well as a gravel bike. Plus I own an original Cervelo S3 (recently decided to try and sell it since i am very happy with the Exploro) with that top tube cable entry and it doesn’t bother me.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZR3 View Post
One if the reasons I picked the Exploro over the UP was because the UP looked too much like my Cannondale Evo so I figured I have the skinny road bike covered and the Exploro could cover the “aero” road bike as well as a gravel bike. Plus I own an original Cervelo S3 (recently decided to try and sell it since i am very happy with the Exploro) with that top tube cable entry and it doesn’t bother me.
I think that makes sense if you are going to use it on the road and into the aeroness of it. It is not something I need/want so I wasn't looking for it. I also don't have a Cdale evo (I wish I did)

Is yours the new Exploro with the flat mounts?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM

Love my Evo, gonna brag a bit, it’s sitting at 5.45kg/11.9lbs

I have a Cervelo S3 for an aero frame and figured I could configure the Exploro to pull double duty as an aero road frame with deep 700c wheels and a gravel bike with 650b wheels. So it’d cover two bikes and I could sell my S3 but still have an aero frame.

Unfortunately no, it’s an original Team frame. I don’t really care either way if it’s flat mount or not but I do wish it was 12x100 TA up front, oh and having the brake hose through the fork looks nicer than the zip tied mounts and external routing that mine has. I’ve thought of buying the new fork but then I’d either have to paint it white to match or strip all the paint off the fork and frame, I did that to the Evo, and while I love the nude carbon look the time it takes to strip it all is not something I want to do again lol.....although I suppose I could sell my frame/fork and buy a ready to paint Exploro and have it all without the work, but my wallet is still recovering from the initial build lol
Old 07-25-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
This was a good article. Was surprised that he liked it.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I like that they are designed by the Cervelo guy, Vroomen White.
That would be Gérard Vroomen. Phil White was his partner, I believe (at Cervelo, not Open/3T).