Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 PM

24-hr test ride Argon-18 Gallium Pro

I've been given the opportunity to test-ride and buy a 2010 Gallium Pro that was built up all-new last year with 9100 kit and color-coordinated FSA brakes, and with used R-Sys wheels.
Price seems to be only what the 9100 gruppo might cost online these days, so this has my full attention.

It is a medium frame with 56cm TT and with a 1"-hi headtube extender installed, but on my first try I found my knees hitting the handlebar while riding off of the saddle (I'm a long-legged 5'9" these days).
That's not a new problem for me with used bike purchases, so I flipped the stem for some more height, and seem to have the fit problem fully solved.
Reading a few online tests/reviews of these bikes turned up few concerns, especially on a bike now having been ridden by only two 14x-lb riders.

It seems this Canadian company is still around, so are there any other concerns about such a purchase that a potential buyer would want to know?
I like the looks of the bike, even with it's exposed cabling, and have personally verified that wider 25mm Continental tires fit quite comfortably mounted on the 1250g, i15mm R-Sys rims.

Other than a bit of pad squeal with the Mavic Exalith pads, a second, longer test ride this morning in steeper terrain (with my own softer saddle installed) gave me nothing but reasons to praise the thing. Comfort and responsiveness both seemed top-notch and stability was quite good.

So again, just looking for any reason why I might NOT want to buy this bike, since I am willing to part with two older carbon bikes to make this purchase.

Thanks in advance for any education.

Last edited by dddd; 07-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 PM

5'9 tall?? is the saddle height the right one?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:12 PM

I've got a little newer one (2013 or '14 I think; similar shape before the thin seatstays, but internal routing) that I got second-hand but lightly used, and have about 14k miles on it. I like it - it fits comfortably, I like the slightly lower BB, feels very solid/stiff under me (but I'm on the comparatively small and light side so probably any reasonably modern road bike would). I like how mine looks but it's a relatively sedate mostly black and grey paintjob.

I don't have the headtube tool so will have to procure one or have it done at a shop (there's a local dealer) if I ever want to adjust my fit beyond what I can do readily with different stems. The manufacturer was helpful and sent me the small parts I needed (ports and covers) when I switched mine from mechanical to electronic.

(I'm 5'8" but ride the small/54, FWIW)

Last edited by phutterman; 07-06-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2018, 05:21 PM

I bought a slightly used Gallium Pro team Jelly Belly spare frame. It is a 2015/16 model and I built it with DA 9000. It's a nice ride, stiff and stable at speed. It is a race bike so stack and reach can set up long and low. Take note that the BB drop may be about 5-10 mm more than most frames so if you are racing crits you have a sightly higher chance of a pedal strike.

I like mine and would buy it again.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, yes the bike as pictured has been completely fitted to me as I can arrive at.
My fit parameters (now in my late-50's) are a little odd, and I am a competitive cyclist.
I was able to install the headtube extender with my bare hands after pulling off the stem. It did not yet loosen over two bump-strewn rides, but can be tightened even while riding if it did.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:35 PM

I used the 15mm extender on a large frame - no problems. I'm 59 but still able to stretch out with a 14 stem and 4 1/2" of drop. No longer a racer but ride with guys who are. It's not the bike holding me back.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Vendor

This discussion should be about the price vs perceived value of the bike.
Since you didn't include the asking price I'll give you a few stand alone reasons not to buy this bike...
- it's an 8 year old carbon frame.
- Dura Ace brake calipers are the best and this bike has FSA.
- Mavic RSys wheels had problems. Lots of online info to read but if these were the later models you should be ok. Carbon spokes.
- If these photos are of your fit position I think you could do better with another size/model.
- while Argon 18 makes some great products they are relatively unknown in many circles reducing demand and resale.

You did ask for reasons not to buy it...
It does have nice bar tape!

Good luck!

Last edited by RedRider; 07-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM

I agree with RedRider.
Argon makes a nice bike but a 2010 carbon bike like this is basically worth what you could get the drivetrain and shifters for. And only if said drivetrain and shifters is in nearly new conditions.
2010 vintage brakes, wheels, frame and other parts have very little value.
And then, only if you like the way the bike rides and feel like it fits you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
This discussion should be about the price vs perceived value of the bike.
Since you didn't include the asking price I'll give you a few stand alone reasons not to buy this bike...
- it's an 8 year old carbon frame.
- Dura Ace brake calipers are the best and this bike has FSA.
- Mavic RSys wheels had problems. Lots of online info to read but if these were the later models you should be ok. Carbon spokes.
- If these photos are of your fit position I think you could do better with another size/model.
- while Argon 18 makes some great products they are relatively unknown in many circles reducing demand and resale.

You did ask for reasons not to buy it...
It does have nice bar tape!

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Interesting replies.
The rear wheel went back to Mavic recently for a new hub, after a shop pressed in a too-large axle bearing. Brake surfaces look good and these are a relatively new version. I valued the wheels alone at a few hundred dollars.

The FSA titanium calipers definitely work great, but are still quite new and not of D-A quality. They look fantastic on this bike's graphics however.

I can't think of how to achieve a better fit than this on any bike, the TT length, saddle pos'n and bar height/reach now seem spot-on to my usual preferences for foothills riding.
The bars and levers seem to work great at all hand positions as shown.
The saddle tilt is typical for me on any size race bike I've owned. These saddles I use get leveled at the front half, with only the rear kicking up, and I eventually find an upward tilt limit where I have to lower the nose from as my final setting, very close to where it is now.
I ran it up Mary Lane and McElroy at 20% this morning and almost forgot that I was already going up the steepest part, my hands still on the flattened bar tops as I was already out of the saddle. The 34-30t low gear flattened that hill.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Yeah I'm not seeing what's wrong with the fit - I'm in my mid-50s and most of my stems are now flipped up. Proper "race" fit changes a lot between 20 and 60!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 PM

I took photos to check on how my position might vary from "normal", probably should have avoided the loose clothing though.
One in the drops, one on the hoods, bike not moving of course!

This is the Scott CR1 that I prefer when I am most fit, it has ample height but really is 1cm longer in the TT than I feel is ideal. The forward saddle would seem to be the result of my high leg length proportion moving my body's center of mass rearward relative to the bb.
At lower pedaling intensity and speed, as on the longest rides, I would prefer a shorter TT and more-rearward saddle position.

Last edited by dddd; 07-06-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 PM
ZhugeLiang

dddd pal, your position looks good.

Don't expect a huge jump in performance. If you feel any, that's probably due to "new toy euphoria" and a slightly better fit.

I get the appeal of Argon. not every other guy is riding it in a group and nice looking paint, but more up to date carbon bike like this Cervelo can be had for a good price as well.

https://www.incycle.com/cervelo-2013...-frameset.html

Last edited by weisan; 07-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 PM

The variable here is price. What is it? Also, none of my business but your bike shots all show big ring/big rear cog. Might want to watch that.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Interesting weisan that you mentioned the Cervelo R3, because the guy selling the Argon had me upgrade his new R5 last year from 6800 to the 9100 gruppo, and somehow I ended up with the BBRight Rotor crankset sitting on my shelf. He loves his Cervelo.

He said that the Argon was just too big for him. I noticed that the toptube height is pretty high on the Argon, and that his Cervelo has a shorter reach than this medium Argon Gallium.
He's 2" shorter than I, so it makes sense to me.

Ducati2, his asking price for this Gallium Pro is $1300, and the 2010 frame was brand-new NOS only last year, bought for around $450 iir. He had me build up the Gallium as well, so I know everything is new with roughly 1k miles on it.
I cross-chain pretty regularly, but never small-to-small or even close. I always shift away from any cross-chained position in short order, but for cresting hills (or riding up the short street to my house) I will cross at least to the 2nd-largest cog as shown in my photos. I often ride much older bikes that tolerate cross chaining without so much as imposing any noticeable friction or noise, but the habit sticks with me somewhat when riding the newer bikes.
I have seen where stronger/heavier riders have apparently shredded their big ring from the out-side in from persistently cross-chaining big-to-big, but my bikes hardly seem to notice!

Last edited by dddd; 07-06-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

It seems this Canadian company is still around...
Indeed they are. Astana will roll out on the bikes in the Tour tomorrow. The Australian track fed just chose the bikes for the track. They're pretty well represented around the world.