Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Abus folding locks

Has anyone ever lost a bike that was locked up using one of the higher end Abus folding locks?

Was considering going from my Kryptonite New York to an Abus Bordo.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

From what I've seen and heard, there's no such thing as a 100% safe bike lock.

All you can do is choose something that's appropriate for the risk (location, magnitude of threat, desirability of your bike vs other bikes in the area, etc.) and hope for the best.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

Quote:
To find the best bicycle lock, we ordered 27 of the toughest we could find, and then we sawed, chopped, and cut them all to pieces. We learned that almost every lock can be defeated in under a minute, but the Kryptonite New-U Evolution Mini-7 is the most affordable lock that will most likely need a power tool (accompanied by a lot of noise) to be beaten.
Quote:
ABUS Folding Lock Bordo Granit X-Plus: The design of this lock and mounting bracket makes it by far the nicest lock to carry, as it folds very compact and transports rattle-free in its frame-mounted case. It is, however, not a high-security lock as claimed, and a thief can easily defeat it by drilling out the unhardened pins that hold the links together. With enough patience I was also able to pop the links apart by working large bolt cutters into the joints, as House of Chain demonstrates on a smaller version of the Folding Lock Bordo in this video. It would be okay for low-crime areas, but the price is too high relative to the level of protection it provides.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 AM

I looked hard at these when looking for a lock recently. Ease of transport was high on my list of desired qualities for the new lock. In the end, I went for a TiGr mini because of the light weight. It fits my needs exactly, and was actually cheaper than the Abus.

Obviously, some trade-off on the ultimate security side. At the same time, it is so far beyond the various forms of cable locks that are out there and so much lighter than the folding locks (and U locks) that it made sense to me.

So far, I am very pleased with the choice.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I looked hard at these when looking for a lock recently. Ease of transport was high on my list of desired qualities for the new lock. In the end, I went for a TiGr mini because of the light weight. It fits my needs exactly, and was actually cheaper than the Abus.

Obviously, some trade-off on the ultimate security side. At the same time, it is so far beyond the various forms of cable locks that are out there and so much lighter than the folding locks (and U locks) that it made sense to me.

So far, I am very pleased with the choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8Y...ature=youtu.be

Ive seen those Tigr locks busted in SF ymmv
Old 06-23-2018, 12:27 AM

I've got two

I use one and so does my wife. I leave mine Ina cage at work, but when outside a theatre, at a park etc, I am pretty confident that it'll stay locked up. I love how well that pack up when not in use !!
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Has anyone ever lost a bike that was locked up using one of the higher end Abus folding locks?

As the wise man said, you don't need a lock that can't be broken, you need a lock that is harder to break than the one on the bike next to yours.

I wouldn't switch from a Kryptonite to a Bordo for safety reasons. I'd maybe do it for the smaller footprint on the bike when not used, in terms of size/optics (Bordos still are very heavy imo)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Get a Bordo 6500 Granit X-Plus if replacing a New York. If you are really worried, the rule of the day is two locks.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 AM

It was more about shedding some weight and being a bit more packable while hopefully maintaining the same level of security as the New York.
Looks like the Abus is about the same weight.

I came across this video but a grinder will also make short work of any lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8uyPsDaw0
Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It was more about shedding some weight and being a bit more packable while hopefully maintaining the same level of security as the New York.
Looks like the Abus is about the same weight.

I came across this video but a grinder will also make short work of any lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8uyPsDaw0
Correct....

Nothing is fool-proof

I use a Bordo 6000 but I don't leave bikes too long. If I really worry I use an Abus Granit Plus 640 U-lock in conjunction and are keyed alike.

What's your normal routine? Do you leave a bike for long periods of time?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 AM

And that video.

Most locks are defeated in well under a minute on the street. Using that splitter to do that in the field is far more time consuming and problematic than in a controlled environment on a bench vice.

As you mentioned, I'd be more worried about a cordless angle grinder.

Last edited by charliedid; 06-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8Y...ature=youtu.be

Ive seen those Tigr locks busted in SF ymmv
I saw that video. They've altered the design since then, making the lock thicker and wider. The new design has tested very well with third-party labs.

It's definitely not on the same level as the biggest u-locks, but it's in the same neighborhood as medium-range u-locks. Since I'm using it to go to work in a small, low-crime town, it's perfect for me. In high risk areas, people are having great success with this lock as a secondary lock.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 AM

I only lock up the commuter which is a Schwinn S96.2.
I won't be devastated if someone does swipe it but I'd ticked off.
It can be outside for as little as a half hour as I pick up something quick from the mall or for a full day of work but work is pretty low risk since it's private property.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I only lock up the commuter which is a Schwinn S96.2.
I won't be devastated if someone does swipe it but I'd ticked off.
It can be outside for as little as a half hour as I pick up something quick from the mall or for a full day of work but work is pretty low risk since it's private property.
Maybe a Bordo 5700 or a 410 Ultra 7" U-lock if that's the case.

Seems pretty low risk. Given that I sell bikes and locks in Chicago we always recommend "more is better" with locks. Huge problem here.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Princess Sweat

The longer it takes a thief to break a lock, the better chance they have of getting caught.

Thieves tend to keep a simple set of tools with them and tend to focus on one type of lock (cable, chain, U, etc). So if you opt for multiple locks, use two different styles/locking mechanisms.

We've had no complaints about the Abus folding locks. If I were to lock my bikes up I'd reach for one of those first. Then I'd reach for another brand's U-Lock.

I'd also use tamper-resistant hex bolts (or super-glue a ball bearing in the heads) and replace my QRs with whatever Pinhead or Krypto sells.

At that point though, I'd be so $$ into locks I'd probably just get a $50 craigslist bike and ride that until it gets stolen.