Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2018, 04:34 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Good info and thx for posting. It's too bad there are not at least some regional centers that provide models for test riding, or at least allow a 30-trial like Specialized and Trek (probably some others too). That might be the best option since no long drives would be required. Just a lot of money at risk, since any given saddle might not be "the one".
+1

I know figuring out the logistics wouldn’t be easy, but some kind of test ride program sure would be helpful to lots of riders. I’m in that boat now. I’d love to try both saddles that Dave recommended and my choice of which one to try is being driven by which one is cheaper to buy (one is dramatically less than the other.) I can imagine any sort of demo program is both a huge time and money commitment by a company. But given SMP’s price points and wide range of saddles, if they ever could do a feasible demo program, the benefits could be great. I’d guess there’s a pretty good pent up interest that can’t see a way over the price hurdle right now. Saddle hell is what got me over the hurdle.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
good to hear.

i've found this chart a helpful place to start with SMP choosing...

That SMP chart does not really help much. As I have a 32" waist is says nearly all the saddles would work for me. I found a local fitter who offered the line but really did not have any of the narrower Composit based line. I was able to try the Glider, Drakon, Dynamic and Lite 209 on his trainer. He had a cool quick release mount that allowed for rapid saddle swap. As the Dynamic felt best I put that on my bike to try out for a week.

While it felt okay right off, although much more firmly planted on my pelvic bones than I was used to, it took a LOT of tweaking before I thought I had the best position. Still, 30+ miles rides had be feeling a bit sore. I ended up taking a chance on the Dynamic and bought one. Two months on and it feels like a keeper. Those who like to move about on a saddle won't like the ones with a pronounced curve. Luckily, I think keeping your pelvis in one position works best for me and always prefer saddles that promote that posture.

http://www.colbypearce.com/smp-primer/
Whenever I am on a group ride or just past the finish line of a race, and I hear the statement “we were going so fast in that tailwind section, I was way up on the tip of my saddle” or “I pushed way back in the seat to get more power on the climb” I cringe. Even though riders have done this for years, this is not optimal cycling. A well-trained, functional rider has a very narrow optimal range for saddle height, setback and angle. The closer the shape of the saddle matches the skeletal elements of the rider, the more important the exact position of the saddle becomes. The curved profile of the saddle is a key element to this. When the rider scoots forward or pushes back, they leave this optimal range and sacrifice mechanical leverage or efficiency, or both. Its not that this model cannot work to win races, it has for many years. Just as with the anteriorly rotated pelvis, we know now that this model is not optimal.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 08-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:38 PM

I am also a recent SMP convert. I am now running a Dynamic on both my road and gravel bikes. Before SMP, I would only ride a Power or Power Arc, but the Dynamic is much better. I would also consider the Forma at some point in the future.

Steve Hogg's excellent writeup got me started, but working with Colby Pearce in Boulder sealed the deal for me. (For a small fee, Colby will send you a SMP to try. If you like it, he can sell you a new saddle.) Colby's website is also full of good information. https://www.colbypearce.com

I have not tried any other SMP other than the Dynamic, but it suits me well. I also did not find the setup to be particularly difficult, given Colby's instructions. (I am running the saddles around 5 degrees down at the front.)

I am 6'1'' 160-165 lbs, FWIW.

-Mike