Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 05:17 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Serotta Newbie

Just finished reading the article in the magazine. She is certainly a special person/athlete. I wish her great success in the Olympics.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 PM

Looking forward to seeing how she does in the olympics, especially with Vonn competing as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Merged
I'll be rooting for her and Vonn.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post

BUT, I wanna say, reading the first paragraph, I was like huh? The writing was trying to be cute. The second, it was all about tanned blonde ski goddess. It's amazing that in todays culture, normally, if a guy said that, there'd be a month long beat down. Just look at the Pinarello ad! But since the writer is a woman, I'm guessing there will be little to no backlash.

Not saying either is ok. Just funny the double standards out there.
I think you have to look at how goddess is being used. I think it is referring to her skiing prowess and not her looks.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 PM

.... ..

Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Really?

Yes really. I don't think anyone is going to put her in a beautiful category.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM

.... ..

Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Yes really. I don't think anyone is going to put her in a beautiful category.

Jeff
Why not??? I personally think she is very attractive. But that has nothing to do with why I like her a s a skier. I honestly think the article is trying to convey how fit she is, not how attractive she is. The other point of the article is how damn hard she works. She doesn't just rely on her incredible talent, but also works harder than everyone else on the circuit. That way she can race at 90% and still win, instead of racing at 105% and risking major mistakes or crashes.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Vendor

See, I've never seen or heard of her. I wouldn't know what she looked like. But the first paragraph made her sound pretty hardcore for her training. Then the second went into her looks and made me think she's hot(still hadn't seen the pics yet). Or as the writer put a blonde tanned ski goddess. Honestly, that part made me think totally different about her. Not sure if the writer was trying to do both- make her hardcore and a "goddess". It was a great read but that second paragraph, kind of off-putting.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
See, I've never seen or heard of her. I wouldn't know what she looked like. But the first paragraph made her sound pretty hardcore for her training. Then the second went into her looks and made me think she's hot(still hadn't seen the pics yet). Or as the writer put a blonde tanned ski goddess. Honestly, that part made me think totally different about her. Not sure if the writer was trying to do both- make her hardcore and a "goddess". It was a great read but that second paragraph, kind of off-putting.
So, my take away is that equating "goddess" with "hot woman" implies that you primarily value women for their looks. If you heard a man described as like a "god" in their vocation, would you first think about power or omniscience, or would you first think about what he looks like?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
So, my take away is that equating "goddess" with "hot woman" implies that you primarily value women for their looks. If you heard a man described as like a "god" in their vocation, would you first think about power or omniscience, or would you first think about what he looks like?
Actually, when men like Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth and others are put up for Hottest Man or whatever for like People Magazine, yeah, they do describe them as gods and base it on their looks.

Personally, like I said, I could care less. I don't know who she is. Never seen or heard of her before. If the writer had just said ski goddess, VS blonde tanned ski goddess, I wouldn't be making my comment.

And if you read what I said before Mark, you'll see that I was commenting on the negative writing and how it sexualized her. Should've read back a page and saw what I wrote before jumping on me that I only value women for their looks.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
[URL="https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196755&highlight=shiffrin"]

That said, watching this season's races on NBC, reading post-race coverage, and acknowledging that Vonn hasn't had the best start to her own season, I really hope that Vonn breaks Stenmark's record before the press completely dumps her for Shiffrin. I get the feeling that they are all quite ready to put Vonn out to pasture, and I'm hoping instead that Vonn has a stellar Olympics and WC season.

I hope Vonn breaks the record, too. Speaking of hard workouts, I can’t imagine what Vonn’s rehab has been after some of the terrible injuries that she’s endured and yet climbed back to one of the top skiers.

I read that Vonn wants to compete against the men in downhill. Supposedly, her training run times have been competitive. She is strong, enough that she uses men’s ski models to race on.

Shiffrin may want to think about speed events and career longevity (due to injuries).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Ski racing fitness

For fun, google some of the you tube videos of Lindsey Vonn and Mikela Schiffren working out. We're talking some serious toughness, agility and strength...