Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 04:13 PM

Rene Herse Derailleurs

https://www.renehersecycles.com/my-p...e-derailleurs/

I have a lot of respect for the team at Rene Here to go down this journey! Maybe in ten years I can get a custom with Rene Herse everything, and hopefully then I can afford it too.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:35 PM
quadropheniac

Well, nothing wrong with another approach, but I really can't see these derailleurs being taken too seriously. I mean, is there anybody out there that will have their frame taken to their "local" frame builder and ask to have another fitting brazed to their bike, just to accommodate this derailleur? Oh, every "good" shop stocks tandem cable, right? I guess the same person who would actually reach back between their wheel and seat tube to shift to between the front chainrings. This should have been a press release on 01 April.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:36 PM

Man I’m sorry but I just can’t agree with most of the stuff this dude says. Modern shifting doesn’t work well enough for him up climbs? Give me a break. Modern shifters require too much force to operate... dude... really? Action on new shimano mechanical is quite light.

“ Our goal is to offer a derailleur that surpasses the best from the ‘Big 3’ in function and durability.” oooooookay good luck with that.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:38 PM

Why would anyone tie themselves into a proprietary setup like that?

Old 04-27-2021, 04:47 PM

"The Rene Herse Nivex isn’t intended as a novelty like those purple mountain bike derailleurs of the 1990s."

Shots fired at Paul Components? Or were there other purple derailleurs in the 90s?

I like the design and theory of these new derailleurs, but I don't have a bike worthy of them. As much as I hate front derailleurs, I'm most interested in the RH "suicide" version for simplicity. Seems like it would be easier to adapt to a clamp on mount as well.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
"The Rene Herse Nivex isn’t intended as a novelty like those purple mountain bike derailleurs of the 1990s."

Shots fired at Paul Components? Or were there other purple derailleurs in the 90s?
The Precision Billet Proshift derailleur was very cool.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...2nd_style.html
Old 04-27-2021, 04:56 PM

Looks cool, too bad you need to modify your frame. I like the idea of simplicity, but can't afford Rene herse brand stuff. I suspect you will find BoB group people who are into this.

Was Paul the only one to make purple anno derailleurs bitd? Maybe it is a poke.

This is how I shift my gravel bike so you can see I'm not into the latest and greatest tech.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2021, 05:06 PM

I think this has the potential to be a good solution for a very narrow range of people. I am probably in that narrow range of people.

If you have never used a pull pull derailleur (White industries, Cyclo) you may find it interesting. The lack of spring tension and required friction in the shifters is really amazing feeling. Just the slightest of touch on the lever and it moves.

True it requires some customization for your frame but a lot of people are getting frames made for soon to be expired "standards" right now (Internal wiring/battery locations/disc mount standards/dropout standards/head tubes/bottom brackets/etc)

If it is a good solution than you have no need for an upgrade and thus no worries about becoming "outdated". As long as you can get spares......
Old 04-27-2021, 05:10 PM

On the right sort of custom Rando bike--I can see this as a pretty cool derailleur and something I'd try. IME those bikes are best with DT shifters anyway. However, this RD is going to be beyond niche. I wonder how many they will even make?

How many custom traditional rando bikes are produced in a given year? I'd be surprised if it was more than 50? 75? How many of those buyers will spec this very proprietary derailleur system and associated braze-ons?

I like the idea of a new iteration of a derailleur based an old design, and so I take my hat off to RH for sailing against strong prevailing market headwinds to make this happen. I'd guess it will be in the $500 range based on low production quantities.

For what it is worth, I've used the old Simplex "suicide" rod FD and it shifted great and was easier to use than you might think.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:54 PM

Yes super-super niche, but people still get the proprietary compass and Paul brake studs on custom randonneurs all the time, and this particular niche is willing to pay for it.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Head to Ned

Somewhere between where we are now and where RH was then, is just right.
Most of the 8-9 speed stuff works fantastic and is still simple and bulletproof.

I would not put that 'stuff' on a new custom Rando or anything else.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:28 PM

I know Jan rubs some people the wrong way, but I respect the fact that he marches to the beat of his own drum. He's clearly as bike-obsessed as the rest of us, and he loves to ride and innovate. Plus, it's good in any industry to have some contrarian thinking.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:32 PM

I have to say I'd be happy to try it! Probably not going to run out and have a new braze on and re-paint done to any of my bikes though.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_S View Post
I know Jan rubs some people the wrong way, but I respect the fact that he marches to the beat of his own drum. He's clearly as bike-obsessed as the rest of us, and he loves to ride and innovate. Plus, it's good in any industry to have some contrarian thinking.
I agree. I don’t agree with some of his platform items, but he is a very smart and thoughtful guy who seems to be thinking about bikes all of the time.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Hyperbole running wild

Quote:
The derailleur cables run open, without cable housing, which reduces friction (and also makes the derailleur impervious to dirt).