Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2023, 11:47 AM

Campy compatibility

I have a Super Record 11 speed. Unfortunately the largest cassettes I can use is 29. Can I swap the Rear Der. to a 12 speed long cage and use 34 cassette? Of course I will be replacing my brakes/shifters as well. Do I need to replace my front der to work on new 12 speed brifters?

Thank you
Old 02-23-2023, 11:50 AM

My dude, I don't think the 12 stuff can be used interchangeably with 11, unless you just wanna run a 12 crankset on an otherwise 11 drivetrain. IIRC, the pull ratio changed, so your shifting would be something awful. Something like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod161453

If you can find one, will give you access to larger cassettes.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM

Do you have first or second generation 11spd? First generation Super Record derailleurs will limited to about 30 teeth (or slighly more, depending on hanger length), but second generation Super Record derailleurs can easily handle 32 teeth, and often 34 teeth as well. I'm using a second generation Super Record medium cage derailleur with an 11-34 cassette and 50-33 cranks, and it works perfectly.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Do you have first or second generation 11spd? First generation Super Record derailleurs will limited to about 30 teeth (or slighly more, depending on hanger length), but second generation Super Record derailleurs can easily handle 32 teeth, and often 34 teeth as well. I'm using a second generation Super Record medium cage derailleur with an 11-34 cassette and 50-33 cranks, and it works perfectly.
Try this first - sounds way cheaper than buying a new RD.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:47 PM

I run a 11 speed SR rear derailleur with SRAM 11-32T in my Argonaut.. no troubles so far.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I believe I have the first generation. If I can find a second generation rear der medium cage, would that work with the rest of group?
Old 02-23-2023, 03:01 PM

Have you given any thought to a Road Link?

For $20 with your current RD, it's a pretty cheap experiment.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/roadlink
Old 02-23-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
This is news to me and very interesting. Does the same hold true for Chorus?
Old 02-23-2023, 03:16 PM

Here’s some food for thought - this is an SR RD maxed out on an 11-28 / 53-39

If you’re running a 50/34 like most sensible folks, I can’t imagine a 30 being too much in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbiker View Post
I believe I have the first generation. If I can find a second generation rear der medium cage, would that work with the rest of group?
No, the two 11v generations aren't interoperable.
As others have suggested, a RoadLink will work in this application. I run a Sram 11-32 cassette on my gen1 11v Record rear mech with a 52-36 front. I wouldn't say that shifts are perfect, but they're pretty dang good. Cross chaining is definitely not advised with this setup, but it'll get you that lower gear.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:55 PM
Huffing Mastik

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Have you given any thought to a Road Link?

For $20 with your current RD, it's a pretty cheap experiment.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/roadlink
This looks like a little work of genius! Has anybody used one and can verify that it works? It would save me a lot of $ as I try to put some humane gears on my cross bike to make it more suitable for steep gravel.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:38 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
This looks like a little work of genius! Has anybody used one and can verify that it works? It would save me a lot of $ as I try to put some humane gears on my cross bike to make it more suitable for steep gravel.
I use them. I've put them on friends' bikes. It should work for the OP.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
This is news to me and very interesting. Does the same hold true for Chorus?
Yes. All 3 second generation (2015+) derailleurs have the same geometry, and not only are the cages interchangeable, they all use the same medium length cage. (Which means that while the short cage Record and Super Record have carbon cages, the medium cage versions all use the Chorus aluminum cage)
Old 02-23-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Here’s some food for thought - this is an SR RD maxed out on an 11-28 / 53-39

If you’re running a 50/34 like most sensible folks, I can’t imagine a 30 being too much in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the short cage version. There is also a medium cage version of 2015+ 11spd Super Record, which Campagnolo stated allows the use of an 11-32 cassette.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbiker View Post
I have a Super Record 11 speed. Unfortunately the largest cassettes I can use is 29. Can I swap the Rear Der. to a 12 speed long cage and use 34 cassette? Of course I will be replacing my brakes/shifters as well. Do I need to replace my front der to work on new 12 speed brifters?

Thank you
You know, it just occurred to me that you could also just swap the pulley cage. This takes all of 15 min on Shimano RDs and I can't imagine it's much more work on Campy. From a quick glance, Marinoni has some cages in stock for around $100 CAD.