Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 12:59 PM

Ischial bursitis

Does anyone have any experience with this? What I had thought was proximal hamstring tendinopathy has now been diagnosed as ischial bursitis. Basically, I feel a lot of pain in the flesh adjacent to my left sit bone. I've had it for several months, and unfortunately bike riding clearly makes it worse, though it's much more painful after a ride than during it.

What I read online looks rather depressing--difficult or even impossible to cure. My orthopedic doctor is recommending cortisone injections.

I'm guessing that saddles might make a difference. I'm currently using a Berk, which I find fairly comfortable because of the scalloped shape of the back of the saddle, but it has no real padding. Can anyone recommend a super padded saddle that doesn't look like one found on a thirty-year old exercise bike?
Old 03-15-2024, 01:09 PM

I had bursitis in my shoulder once, and it was unbelievably painful. The good news is that after a round of cortisone shots and a week or two of anti-inflammatories, it vanished, never to return. (I think it was just high-dose Naproxen for like 2 weeks or something.)

So you might get lucky like I did!

Go get that cortisone and good luck!
Old 03-15-2024, 04:55 PM

opposite for me

got a wrong diagnosis of ischial bursitis, in truth it was a labral tear with atypical pain pattern--didn't figure it out until MRA (MRI with direct injection of dye into hip.

However, when the ortho thought it was bursitis the treatment plan was ultrasound guided steroid injection