Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
If you can get up to Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek there are two absolute miserable climbs in Alba and Jamison Creek that lead to Empire Grade.
but the descent is a blast!
Old 02-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Descent fitness

To the left or south of the point, it is all sandy beach with some rocks and beautiful pounding surf. To the right or SE is mainly rocky beach along Oceanview Boulevard. We usually stay just by Lovers Point(second pic). Lots of seals and otters in the water near there. I can vouch for the fact it is a great place to bring a bike.
If you decide to go to that area, let me know and I may be able to be your guide around 17 mile drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B066E4DF-367B-4ACF-97C4-54DCA30F7F37.jpg (83.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg ED563F92-3836-4F59-BA8E-85DBDDA1FE6E.jpg (146.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 7AA1B5E2-662C-42CC-A72E-C8BF0CEC4BC3.jpg (115.2 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
To the left or south of the point, it is all sandy beach with some rocks and beautiful pounding surf. To the right or SE is mainly rocky beach along Oceanview Boulevard. We usually stay just by Lovers Point(second pic). Lots of seals and otters in the water near there. I can vouch for the fact it is a great place to bring a bike.
If you decide to go to that area, let me know and I may be able to be your guide around 17 mile drive.
Great pics and thanks for the recommendations. Didn't you sell the GT3 btw? I will hopefully be close to there and it would be fun to meet and ride. Hell, maybe we can just have a little impromptu PL ride while I'm there. I've got a buddy from Alameda who may drive down as well.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Descent fitness

Sounds like a plan and you’re welcome for the pictures.
I still have the GT3, but I am thinking seriously of selling it for an original Tesla roadster. Their prices have come down and I think they are going to be a big collectible in the future. Also: one less drivetrain to maintain.
LMK when you know your dates.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:29 AM
#RYFB

These are all nice recommendations. But if what you want is the best road cycling during your visit, and you like climbing, the Santa Cruz mountains are the answer. These are still some of my favorite roads:

Mt. Charlie
Eureka Canyon
Zayante
Big Basin

With plenty of others…Empire Grade, Smith Grade, Ice Cream Grade, Bonny Doon Road, and the previously mentioned killers Jamison Creek and Alba (plus Felton Empire). If one of the local PLers will shepherd you about that's your best bet, but I'm happy to provide routes if you give an idea of distance and elevation.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Just a little update that I’m here outside of Monterey and rented a bike but not sure I should meet up with any paceliners. I’d love to see you but not right now. Rode to laguna seca today and got lost like three times but had a wonderful ride. Lots of deer and turkey and fort ore was a blast...except the unexpected gravel portions( my bad, wrong turns).

Hoping for a safe return but expecting a mandatory quarantine. Trying to decide if I should just cancel the return flight and drive the rental the whole way home? It’s not like I’ll be able to work when I get there and it may be the safest way home at this point.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:55 PM

are you worried about risk to you, or to others

I would assume it is wide spread in CA. Sounds like you will leave before there is any widespread parking lot test centers. Do you MTB, if you could rent or get a CL MTB there are great places to stop and ride on most routes east from CA. I'm not versed on road bike places on the way. but imagine that would be true too. easier to comply with guidance to reduce the risk of transmission on a drive than in airport/place. If you get near San Diego, ie if you were taking 8 to 10 up to 40) I can point you to places and loan you a MTB (large) and you could bike flight it back to me
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Just a little update that I’m here outside of Monterey and rented a bike but not sure I should meet up with any paceliners. I’d love to see you but not right now. Rode to laguna seca today and got lost like three times but had a wonderful ride. Lots of deer and turkey and fort ore was a blast...except the unexpected gravel portions( my bad, wrong turns).

Hoping for a safe return but expecting a mandatory quarantine. Trying to decide if I should just cancel the return flight and drive the rental the whole way home? It’s not like I’ll be able to work when I get there and it may be the safest way home at this point.
I certainly would...If you can't determine if those around you have been exposed...don't 'go there'...
Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I'd drive it you can. The numbers are not good for flying at this point. If you, yourself don't already have COVID19 and are a risk to others, the chance of encountering someone else who is infected on the plane or at the airport is very high.

In cheerier news, I hope you're enjoying the riding! We're getting serious rain a couple hours south of you so hopefully you've got some decent weather.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Definitely I'd drive.

My In-laws managed to go to Florida right as all this started.. they're cancelling their flight home and just driving the rental car all the way back to MA with one stop along the way to stay overnight with relatives.

They really didn't heed warnings though. FIL is 70 and had heart surgery in January. MIL is a little younger but has had leukemia 2X and is in remission. 2 days ago they were still going to the gym and hanging out at the pool in FL.

They are not coming home either. But they're in a condo and can somewhat act like they are at home. Still they'd be way safer in their own house.. way less population density where they live and they have a nice setup at their house to have food stock piled and such.

We were on vacation and got home March 3rd.. felt very good to be home, we got home just in time to avoid all the crazy.

The only way I wouldn't want to be home right now as if I owned some 50-acre plot in the middle of absolute nowhere and had a self-sustainable cabin with solar & batteries & a chest freezer or something. (Along with my own trails on property!)

Last edited by benb; 03-17-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 AM

Current view from our resort balcony has me in no rush to go home. I’m excited to get home to see my kids and dogs, but there will be no productive work for me to do for a bit so may just slow play that return trip.

Going to test the riding in Santa Cruz today. If the aquarium being closed and the fact that I didn’t get to meet any friends or new paceline buddies is the worst of it then I’m ok with that. ( well, that and the overall increased risk of bringing the virus home)

Cancelling my flight home in a bit and driving that Kia cross country sounds like a great way to get home rn. Think I’ll plot a return path here in a bit. Wish I had the balls to find and buy a California campy equipped steel road bike and bring it home with me!

Happy st pats day everyone and stay safe.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:46 AM

Where did you end up staying?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Where did you end up staying?
Sanctuary beach resort outside of marina. Nice little beach compound to ride out the storm. Nice views and a secluded beach, nightly beach bonfires, decent restaurant on premises, and close to Monterey.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Sanctuary beach resort outside of marina. Nice little beach compound to ride out the storm. Nice views and a secluded beach, nightly beach bonfires, decent restaurant on premises, and close to Monterey.
I know exactly the spot. I ride from there to the MTB races at Fort Ord, while my wife sleeps in and meets me at the races.

This is a sunrise on the way to the races. (headed east from beach obviously)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fort ord sunrise m.jpg (61.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Old School; 03-17-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:43 AM

Ahhh.... Fort Ord, fond memories of Army basic training.