Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM

Spring break near Santa Cruz anyone?

I’ve got a little two day work thing coming up in mid-March at the start of our spring break. I’ll be in gilroy for that, and am thinking of renting a beach cottage for a few days after in the Santa Cruz area.

Beach cottages excite me about as much as library visits, but it will allow me some spring training and riding in new places since my wife will sleep til noon everyday. She gets her beach fix and I get some long needed training in. Then we can enjoy the rest of the day together.

Debating borrowing a bike bag and bringing a bike, v renting and/borrowing a bike for the trip???

If any paceliners want to meet up for some some rides? I’d love to ride with someone who knows the area and making new ride friends is always fun. If you have a 55 ish bike not being used that would be even better. I thought of using veloguide for the first time but I’m not sure I’m hard up enough to pay for someone to ride with. That seems like bike prostitution to me and would make sense in a foreign country but not in Cali.

Any takers?

If not, I’d love any input on good rides in the area.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 AM

Rent a mountain bike. Nisene Marks and Demonstration Forest. Details likely forthcoming.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Rent a mountain bike. Nisene Marks and Demonstration Forest. Details likely forthcoming.
Sounds like fun but would be totally new for me. Never ridden mtb. I noticed last time I was there that the hills are littered with mtb tracks all around San Jose.

I’m intrigued and open but just a little bit concerned.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Wilder ranch is a fun and great intro mt bike option- check in with Santa Cruz bikes in town and you rent/reserve a factory demo for $40 or a stigmata for a road option.

For road options in Gilroy- search google ride routes/maps for “Tierra Bella Century” and this should provide you quite a few options. The sponsor club Almaden Cycle Touring may also have some pre century rides going on since it is coming up in APR.

Also google club / training rides in San Jose/South bay/ santa cruz for happenings. The Specalized factory is also next to gilroy and they still may have work/group rides/ hammerfests going on during the work week.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Descent fitness

There are some nice beach rentals in Santa Cruz and some good riding there, but your wife should not expect it to be balmy and warm. It can be pretty cool/overcast/windy. An alternative is Pacific Grove, which has arguably better riding to include the 17 Mile Drive loop, and has a long walk along the beach. Stunning views, and plenty of places to sit on the beach along both sandy shore and rocky coastline. It probably won’t be that warm, either. Travelzoo often runs specials for a couple of the bed and breakfasts in the area, which set right along the shore. Our favorite is the Martine Inn, which is near Lover’s Point and a quick walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and restaraunts, and is along the beach walk.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Ahhh, ok. An introduction to mountain biking needs to be fire roads and benign single track, nothing terribly technical.

How do you feel about climbing? Santa Cruz and the South Bay offer a lot of road climbing as well as MTB stuff. And then there's ways to avoid serious climbing on the Santa Cruz or the Silicon Valley side of the mountains.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:35 AM

I love riding in the Santa Cruz mountains. Depending on your travel dates, I might be able to make it down there for a day or two to ride with you.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM

I think skateboarding is catching on there. Might be fun...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I love riding in the Santa Cruz mountains. Depending on your travel dates, I might be able to make it down there for a day or two to ride with you.
Road? Would definitely take you up on it.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
There are some nice beach rentals in Santa Cruz and some good riding there, but your wife should not expect it to be balmy and warm. It can be pretty cool/overcast/windy. An alternative is Pacific Grove, which has arguably better riding to include the 17 Mile Drive loop, and has a long walk along the beach. Stunning views, and plenty of places to sit on the beach along both sandy shore and rocky coastline. It probably won’t be that warm, either. Travelzoo often runs specials for a couple of the bed and breakfasts in the area, which set right along the shore. Our favorite is the Martine Inn, which is near Lover’s Point and a quick walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and restaraunts, and is along the beach walk.
Looking at moss landing area for the beach house. Haven’t booked yet but found a decent looking resort there. She’s not looking to get a suntan, just wants to be on the ocean. I haven’t looked at rentals yet. I’ve done it before in San Diego and was pretty easy but I’d really like to bring my own for a change.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Road? Would definitely take you up on it.
Yes, road. Feel free to PM me when you know more details about your trip.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 PM

I might recommend the Monterey area over Santa Cruz if you're looking for ambiance, walks on the beach, what have you.

Pajaro Dunes? Midway between both, has the ocean thing going for it.

Last edited by Hindmost; 02-09-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I might recommend the Monterey area over Santa Cruz if you're looking for ambiance, walks on the beach, what have you.
Yeah I drove down there last time I was there and it was nice.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM

I love the scenery and ambience of Pacific Grove and there is plenty of nice riding for a couple of days and MANY good places to eat. Have a look at Asilomar. Les and I stayed there for a couple of days and had fun. Whether you decide to stay there or not it is fun to visit and their beach is open to all. There are quite a few modest but comfy motels near Asilomar too.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 PM

If you can get up to Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek there are two absolute miserable climbs in Alba and Jamison Creek that lead to Empire Grade.