Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Relacing a disc hub that was previously build incorrectly...

Building my 9-year-old son a lighter 24" wheelset. I got the hubs used and the disc side spokes were built "wrong" with the inside spokes pulling on deceleration. The drive side and front wheel disc side are built "correctly".

As a 6'3" 220lb. guy I generally follow the accepted "rules" to build the strongest wheels, but for a child, I assume it is better/safer to replicate the spoke pattern previously used rather than changing the build to follow said rules.

Do you all agree?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I generally would follow the previous myself. But aren't those hubs build like truck hubs for landing jumps et al.?? My not be any kind of issue VS an ultra lite road bike hub.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:11 PM

There's much debate about whether "inside pulling" or "outside pulling" is prefered, mostly owing to the lack of any real data showing one is actually better than the other. If it does matter, it's a secondary factor at best. I agree with you that it's better to replicate the previously used lacing pattern.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:39 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Most are, but I'm building Stan's 3.30 TI to Stan's ZTR Crest MK3s 24/28 hole. Not ultralights, but on a 24" rim they should be about 1250 grams. Down from the bricks I had, about a kilo lighter for the set, and these set up tubeless. With a 24 inch tubeless ready Schwalbe Rocket Ron weighing in at 440 grams, he'll save a ton of weight. Mark McM I sort of remembered someone saying it was a questionable theory before, but I do it just in case. This time however, I'll relace them how they were previously laced. If fact, I'll put them together now.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I generally would follow the previous myself. But aren't those hubs build like truck hubs for landing jumps et al.?? My not be any kind of issue VS an ultra lite road bike hub.

Last edited by DRZRM; 02-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Randomhead

build it the way it was previously built. It's probably about time for someone to convince the wheel building world to switch. It's fashion.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Building my 9-year-old son a lighter 24" wheelset. I got the hubs used and the disc side spokes were built "wrong" with the inside spokes pulling on deceleration. The drive side and front wheel disc side are built "correctly".

As a 6'3" 220lb. guy I generally follow the accepted "rules" to build the strongest wheels, but for a child, I assume it is better/safer to replicate the spoke pattern previously used rather than changing the build to follow said rules.

Do you all agree?
Just make sure the pulling spokes are still pulling and the pushing are still 'pushing', even if it means the inside pulling became 'outside pulling'.

BUT depends..DT says one way, shimano says another..I build rears with drive side outside pulling and disc side rear, 'inside pulling'..front,inside pulling both sides.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've been doing this bike thing about as long as the Ancient Spud and haven't noticed a significant difference relacing wheels one way or the other. (follow old pattern or opposite)

If you think it ain't 'right,' do it the other way.

I doubt you'll have an issue.

M
Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Relace the same way always. A hub manufacturer once told me they identified a correlation between relacing differently and flange failure. Anecdotal evidence seems a lot less persuasive than experience from a warranty department.