Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Keep an eye on Slickdeals. Something far better than your old one should be $300 or so.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:29 AM

This, for example https://slickdeals.net/f/13533268-as...src=SiteSearch
Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 PM

Never been to slickdeals before, but no longer have Costco membership so those deals in particular are likely out. Looks like $3-400 can get a decent new computer so will probably go that route.

Brand wise I would guess most use similar components, any that I should stay away from? I've heard HP, Asus are decent brands for laptops. I had a Lenovo desktop I wasnt thrilled with in the past, but maybe their laptops are better.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600

It's a vgn-nw350f laptop.
yeah not worth upgrading. i would just leave it as is and run it til it dies.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM

better than slickdeals at Costco?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vega-FHD-...BoCRnUQAvD_BwE
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM

This thread is mostly for gaming computer parts but occasionally you can find some general laptops as well, the price is stunning. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
People all over the internet find good deals and share
Old 11-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Never been to slickdeals before, but no longer have Costco membership so those deals in particular are likely out. Looks like $3-400 can get a decent new computer so will probably go that route.

Brand wise I would guess most use similar components, any that I should stay away from? I've heard HP, Asus are decent brands for laptops. I had a Lenovo desktop I wasnt thrilled with in the past, but maybe their laptops are better.
I'm currently typing from a Lenovo that I bought in...2013? Still works fine. It was high end back then, though. Meanwhile a Lenovo I bought at work messed up after a couple months, warranty took care of it...

I would suggest making sure whatever you get has an SSD rather than a platter drive. And you may want to avoid the lower resolution screens that some of the cheap laptops have.

If you have any interest in using it to run Zwift, get something with a 1050ti or better, they're around $500 on sale.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Daniel

If you're only doing word processing and web, I'd encourage you to look at Chromebooks. IMO, a full Windows 10 computer is overblown for that use. 3 or 4 years ago, I bought a Lenovo Chromebook for my 11 year daughter and it hasn't slowed at all. And it has a nice touch screen. It boots quickly and it was like $200 or $250, IIRC. If I didn't do spreadsheets and database work on my computer, I would use one myself.

At $200, that's double the price of the upgrade budget you mentioned, but I'd caution you that the RAM and HDD are only 2 parts of the whole system. Others have mentioned the screen and a new screen should look a lot better. To me a bigger issue is the battery. A new better will be vastly better, in a number of ways. Maybe your keyboard and/or trackpad don't look or work as well as new, either? Maybe there are some minor electronics that getting tired and ready to go?

And who's going to do the hardware work? If you're not accustomed to opening up and working on laptop hardware, they can be a pain.

Ordinarily, I'm against consumerism and the disposable economy but I do temper that a bit with technology. I don't upgrade my phone like others and I do keep my computers, TVs, etc. a long time, but the new machine is worth it, especially after 10 years, ATMO!

Last edited by 559Rando; 11-15-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: readability
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 PM

I am not keen on the idea of a chrome book, so will likely get a win10 laptop. It will be a family computer for my kids (11 & 12) to use as well so a little more capacity will be better once they start using it more.