Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Echo in the Canyon on Netflix is a great watch as well.
Especially Neil playing over the credits.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Especially Neil playing over the credits.
That was the actually the best part of the movie for me. I had high hopes, but was not a fan after watching this past weekend.

The premise was supposedly about how Laurel Canyon shaped the California sound, while they actually spent very little time talking about why it came to be, the dynamics of moving there/working there/why it all ended, etc, etc. There were plenty of overly gratuitous clips of Jakob and friends playing covers and some very vapid scenes on the couch where they make Regina Spektor look dumb and Beck more than slightly confused as to why he's there....Cat Power doesn't even speak! Followed by more scenes of Dylan interviewing people but not saying much, Crosby pontificating and Tom Petty offering up some "wow man....." commentary. It just felt like there could've been so, so much more done with the topic.

I took the Neil Young clip at the end to mean that he did not want to be part of the interviews/story and just wanted to play music. After suffering through the rest of the movie it was a perfect closing scene.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
That was the actually the best part of the movie for me. I had high hopes, but was not a fan after watching this past weekend.

The premise was supposedly about how Laurel Canyon shaped the California sound, while they actually spent very little time talking about why it came to be, the dynamics of moving there/working there/why it all ended, etc, etc. There were plenty of overly gratuitous clips of Jakob and friends playing covers and some very vapid scenes on the couch where they make Regina Spektor look dumb and Beck more than slightly confused as to why he's there....Cat Power doesn't even speak! Followed by more scenes of Dylan interviewing people but not saying much, Crosby pontificating and Tom Petty offering up some "wow man....." commentary. It just felt like there could've been so, so much more done with the topic.

I took the Neil Young clip at the end to mean that he did not want to be part of the interviews/story and just wanted to play music. After suffering through the rest of the movie it was a perfect closing scene.
Sure but wasn't it just an accidental movie anyway? Jakob and friends trying to dig into the time and place of the sound that they grew up with as kids?

I liked it and don't think it needs a critique as an actual doc. simply a glimpse into a world that was hard to make sense of as children.

The musicians involved treated it as a casual conversation not historians trying to make sense or get something right.

I'm a fan.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Happy 74th Neil.
Best wishes with more to come.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:15 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post

Man, this is why i love this place. At the top level I enjoyed it...maybe because I was two pours in already - but BOOM you nailed it...it could have been so much more. I was getting tired of Jakob. But anytime I can see footage of the originals back in the day - I am all over that.