Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Wow!! Rene Herse Steilacoom 38 gravel tire

I just had a Elwood Terrene 40mm tire develop a premature bulge down on the center of its tread after less than 200 miles or so. I'd picked up a pair of the Rene Herse Steilacoom tires (I think they are actually labeled Compass, but nothing changed but the branding) and figured I'd throw them on. Holy s&!t, what a difference. I've previously run Schwalbe G-Ones and the Elwood Terrenes on my gravel bikes, and thought pretty highly of each of them, but these tires are a totally different beast. So much more traction on gravely climbs. There are a few switchbacks on my general 20 mile/2,400 ft climbing ride where pitch gets steep (over 15 degrees, maybe close to 20 degrees for short bits) and with a 34/46 chainring and a 11-34 cassette, I generally prefer to stand through those steep bits. The Terrenes gripped better than the G-Ones, but both were likely to spin out there and on a few other spots on my ride. The Steilacooms stuck like glue on my ride on both of the last two days (one bone dry day, one damp after an overnight rain storm) which made me much more comfortable shifting up a few rings and accelerating standing, especially over looser gravel.

Also, on the couple miles of pavement at the end of the ride I need to take home, these are really fast. They descend quickly, confidently, and fairly quietly given the knobs on gravel, hard packed dirt, and pavement, and on pavement the bike turns like it is on road tires. I don't miss the 2mm dropping from a 40 to a 38mm, though I wish Rene Herse offered more sizes. I'd prefer these in 40s and if the 650 version (Pumpkin Ridge?) was offered in a size larger than the 42, I'd have bought a set already.

I mounted them tubeless with an air compressor, but it was easy enough to get them on by hand and they held air right away. I'll definitely be riding these from here on out.

Five out of five possible dancing bananas for sure, great tires!!

Edit: It looks like Rene Herse recently released the same tread pattern in the 42mm Hurricane Ridge TC. I know what my next tire will be.

Last edited by DRZRM; 06-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 AM

Which casing?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

yup. Lots of choices now.

700C x 38 mm Steilacoom Endurance
700C x 42 mm Hurricane Ridge Standard
700C x 42 mm Hurricane Ridge Extralight
700C x 42 mm Hurricane Ridge Endurance
700C x 42 mm Hurricane Ridge Endurance Plus
650B x 48 mm Juniper Ridge Endurance

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...rance-casings/
Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Which casing?
Extralight, not too much risk of sidewall cuts on my standard ride, but I may try the Hurricane Ridge in Endourance. I prefer a black tire though.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 AM

I ride a variety of Compass/ Herse tires and have found them to be uniformly outstanding.
Including the Steilacooms I mounted up a month ago for The Farmers Daughter.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Administrator

personally i wish for the opposite, but i'm in the definite minority. i would love to see the steilacoom's in 33c or so.

can i ask what rim you were using the 38's on and what they actually measure out to?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Anyone tried the Rene Herse Steilacoom that also has experience with the WTB Resolute? I'm curious if there's much difference?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Anyone tried the Rene Herse Steilacoom that also has experience with the WTB Resolute? I'm curious if there's much difference?
I have ridden both tires and in my experience the Steilacooms are far superior in all the conditions I have ridden in. I have raced the Steilacooms for three straight Rasputitsas because they can cut through deep mud to find traction and also corner on tarmac without the squirrelly effect of the burlier side knobs you find on the Resolutes.

The Resolutes knobs seem to have more drag on hardpack. I found they were also more prone to getting caked with mud.

In my opinion the Steilacooms are a unicorn tire. They're only negative is the price, and after slicing my rear tire two weeks ago I actually remounted a Resolute and am considering spending the $$$ to go back.

I have not yet ridden the newer Hurricane Ridge 42mm tire, but I want to.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafran View Post
I have ridden both tires and in my experience the Steilacooms are far superior in all the conditions I have ridden in. I have raced the Steilacooms for three straight Rasputitsas because they can cut through deep mud to find traction and also corner on tarmac without the squirrelly effect of the burlier side knobs you find on the Resolutes.

The Resolutes knobs seem to have more drag on hardpack. I found they were also more prone to getting caked with mud.

In my opinion the Steilacooms are a unicorn tire. They're only negative is the price, and after slicing my rear tire two weeks ago I actually remounted a Resolute and am considering spending the $$$ to go back.

I have not yet ridden the newer Hurricane Ridge 42mm tire, but I want to.

Thanks! Looks like I know what tires I’m looking for next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
The Steilacoom is a terrific tire with respect to comfort and traction - the ride is luxurious.
The WTB Resolute is actually a great tire too, and it wins on price, durability, easy tubeless set up and volume (~44). It rolls quickly and grips.

That said, my next set of knobbies will likely be the 700x42 Hurricane Ridge Endurance as it appears to have an ideal combination of qualities.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 AM
'97 Ti Legend

They are mounted on HED Belgium+ rims, I'll have to measure. I'll follow up shortly, I need to find my calipers.

Edit: Happily, I'll call it just a hair short of 40mm at 37 psi after a couple days stretching...nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
personally i wish for the opposite, but i'm in the definite minority. i would love to see the steilacoom's in 33c or so.

can i ask what rim you were using the 38's on and what they actually measure out to?

Last edited by DRZRM; 06-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Steilacoom & Hurricanes

How are these on paved roads?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

yup, i need em around 36 tops, maybe 33-35 would be sweet!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 AM
'97 Ti Legend

That is the remarkable thing! They hum a bit but they are very fast, and more importantly, because the edges of the knobs are squared off and shaped like a road tire profile, they are incredibly stable in leaned turns on any surface, but it is most obvious on pavement. If not for the noise (which is actually much quieter than file treadsand other tires I've used, except maybe for the Schwalbe G-Ones) you might think you were riding slicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
How are these on paved roads?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Extralight, not too much risk of sidewall cuts on my standard ride, but I may try the Hurricane Ridge in Endourance. I prefer a black tire though.
I’m riding the standard casing version. Love them too! Did you encounter any seepage issues with the xl version? Also, how wide did they end up being on your rim. My rims are 21mm internal and they were true to size.

Congrats!

Tags
compass, rene herse, steilacoom