Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Also using a harborfreight one that I got years ago.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Here is what I think about the HF unit, yes it works, yes it’s cheap, but the transducer is pretty weak. It has a stupid timer system that basically limits itself to 4 minutes +/-. Having used Branson units in the past, I probably expect too much. Can’t return it since it still “works”, but I’d look elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM

any dangers?

I read somewhere you're safe with plain metal plate (chainrings, casettes etc.) but you may damage fussy mechs like shifters- true or BS?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Never tried shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
I read somewhere you're safe with plain metal plate (chainrings, casettes etc.) but you may damage fussy mechs like shifters- true or BS?
Thanks
I’ve never tried Shifters, that said never had them so dirty that I thought it required it. Not sure how it would get to the internals. Plus getting water in there without a good may to get it out...

Done front and rear derailleurs, cassettes, chain rings, brakes. Honestly, it can come out of the cleaner clean as new
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 PM

I have the Harbor Freight model. I think I paid 100$ for it in stock at my nearby Harbor Freight. I used it exclusively to clean motorcycle carburetors. It has a heating feature that works great. It has a tray to put the parts in but I preferred to use it without the tray as it seemed to clean better...more vibes in my opinion. I think it's big enough to dunk a gearing cassette in it but not a whole spindle crank arm assembly. Honestly I don't see the benefit of one of these for bicycle parts. I think it would be best to just use some kind of degreaser followed by soap and water or just soap and water and blow parts dry there after. I will say to get the most benefit out of one of these you really need to have a air compressor to blow parts dry. Worked well for my gummed up carbs but I also completely disassembled them and ran it multiple cycles with a bit of time between cycles as recommended to not burn out the heating element. I also put warm water in it with some kinda soap granular pellet solution in it that Harbor Freight sells separately. I also tried warm water mixed with Pine Sol and thought that worked just as well.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Here is what I think about the HF unit, yes it works, yes it’s cheap, but the transducer is pretty weak. It has a stupid timer system that basically limits itself to 4 minutes +/-. Having used Branson units in the past, I probably expect too much. Can’t return it since it still “works”, but I’d look elsewhere.
Yes it's a cheap unit but I think the four minute cycle is probably a safe guard to not burning itself out. You can restart it there after. In a way it's nice as it keeps the operator somewhat honest. I mean turning the thing on and ignoring it for like a half hour could have dire consequences. Perhaps you may damage some rubber seals with too much heat...