Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Bumping the thread. I think I am switching up from the whole classic 650b thing to a road bike for PBP, and am looking for a rackless front bag. (Really, it's because packing a rando bike seems like a PITA).

My requirements:
-No rack.... obviously
-Lightweight
-Not *that* big
-Pockets/organization
-Map case

I am afraid that the Swift Paloma is just going to be too big and mess with my handling too much. When I started rando, I was using a handlebar-mounted bag with a bracket and it was less than ideal. I don't know if the Paloma is so light that maybe packed smartly it would not be too noticeable though...

In any case, the two "finalists" are Ruthworks and Dill Pickle. I like the aesthetics of the Ruthworks more, but the size and wider layout of the Dill Pickle seems more useful. Another concern I have is GPS placement: Currently I have an out-front mount, which I can easily switch to a handlebar mount, but I am afraid of real estate for lashing down the bag plus having room for the GPS unit. Further, I need to be able to access the the bottom of the unit for charging during the event, so stem-mounting is not an option. The Ruthworks bag looks like it eats up a lot of the cockpit space due to the closure, so I don't know where the GPS would go.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 AM

Have you looked at the Rixen & Kaul product line, mounted with the Klickfix system?
Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Have you looked at the Rixen & Kaul product line, mounted with the Klickfix system?
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, these all look..... a bit nerdy for the vibe I'm going for. Plus, even the ones I took a cursory glance at were pretty heavy, along the lines of 800+ grams.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 PM

You could just call Ruthworks and he can make you a reckless brevet bag with the features you like added and ones you dislike removed and it wouldn’t be much more
Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM

Handmade in the UK, waterproof, simple, durable, works well, looks great: Carradice Zip Roll.

Around $50USD.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 PM

https://www.amazon.com/G-I-Army-MOLL.../dp/B008IXHXWE

This is my favorite and its about $12. There is a "drain hole" that I run some paracord through with a slip knot to attach to a fork crown. it converts to a shoulder bag or a hip pack. I cross the buckles and pack a jacket on the outside sometimes.

Built to last.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Thinking outside the box...I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeheeb View Post
https://www.amazon.com/G-I-Army-MOLL.../dp/B008IXHXWE

This is my favorite and its about $12. There is a "drain hole" that I run some paracord through with a slip knot to attach to a fork crown. it converts to a shoulder bag or a hip pack. I cross the buckles and pack a jacket on the outside sometimes.

Built to last.
I love this and this is what I am gonna use for my New Mexico trip.

I have used many "alternative non-cycling specific" solutions for a variety of things in the past and in many cases, they either "out-perform" or equal the cycling-specific solutions offered in the market for much less....
Old 02-27-2019, 11:31 AM
aka RAEKWON

Throwing PSbagworks into the list

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6479673..._home_active_5

I ordered my bag custom from them since I wanted it to be a bit bigger, bag was made and was in the mail next day, its a great bag and I have bought more stuff from them.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM

https://www.cordelcycling.com/product/durum

I love their stuff, but you need a Euro post forwarder.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
https://www.cordelcycling.com/product/durum

I love their stuff, but you need a Euro post forwarder.
This looks almost exactly like the Rickshaw bag, except for the paracord zig-zagged on the front.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Throwing PSbagworks into the list

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6479673..._home_active_5

I ordered my bag custom from them since I wanted it to be a bit bigger, bag was made and was in the mail next day, its a great bag and I have bought more stuff from them.
Paulo, is there some mechanism that secures the bag to the head tube or just the velcro straps on the bars? If the latter, does it flop around much?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Ride to eat.

other option

For flying
My Rivendell Mark rack fit nicely in my suitcase when my bike was packed in my ironcase.
Also use my front boxy rando bag from acorn for my carryon.
Good Luck,
BamBam
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I love this and this is what I am gonna use for my New Mexico trip.

I have used many "alternative non-cycling specific" solutions for a variety of things in the past and in many cases, they either "out-perform" or equal the cycling-specific solutions offered in the market for much less....
The idea really appealed to me too, so I just got one. Used it for the first time this morning. My expectations weren't all that high but it exceeded them considerably. The bag doesn't move around, isn't too heavy, and holds lots. Can't beat the price either.

I used the trick of securing the bottom of the bag to the head tube with some string passing through the drain hole. I tied the string around wood dowel inside the bottom of the bag that I cut to match the width of the bag. This gives it more shape and stability. The last trick was to constrain it in the lateral direction. The straps that go around the bag are so long that I was able to wrap them around the bars on both sides, just below the hoods. I secured the ends of the straps by passing them back through the buckles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iVebnuepNUHkiP9R7

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/

Last edited by steamer; 03-03-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:22 AM
ZhugeLiang

Steamer pal, thanks for sharing your experience and tricks, that looks awesome!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Paulo, is there some mechanism that secures the bag to the head tube or just the velcro straps on the bars? If the latter, does it flop around much?
Just saw this Charles. Its velcro but I ended up buying some straps from roadrunner bags because I think that system is bad.

There is not a lot of flopping around because you also attach a 3rd mounting point on the HT (just like swift and road runner bags) and keeps the bag pretty sturdy.

I also have one of these

https://thefridge.bigcartel.com/prod...ht-burrito-bag

cheap, very light and well made BUT harder to mount if you have flat top bars, the headtube mount velcro is way too short so I end up just putting it around the shift/brake cables so this bad flops around a bit more.

Tags
bags, burrito, handlebar bags, randonneur