Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Help with a weird Time fork (resolved)

Hi folks,

I've got a Time Stiff+ fork. This fork has a peculiar "+" shaped reinforcement inside the steerer that will prevent using a standard expander plug. I am familiar with Time Quickset headsets and I'm sure that's the right thing to use here, but barring finding that particular needle in a haystack (this is a 1 inch fork)...

How can I make this work? Searching for ideas. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chismog; 11-13-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
You still here?

It is designed to be used with Time's peculiar headset. I'm not sure you have any other choices.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 PM

in theory

you could use a vice or some other means to create the proper compressive force running from above your stem through the crown race on the fork, then tighten the stem and you should be fine as once the stem is set you should be okay. again, this is in theory, i've never tried this and absolve myself of all responsibility and accountability should someone try this, after reading this, I am not liable.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Vice! Yes... good idea and exactly the kind of idea I was looking for- something I hadn't thought of and didn't require modification to the fork. Thanks Honey!

To be clear, NO LIABILITY assigned to ideas posted here. I'm not "that guy" and I hope I'm smart enough to not be stupid, and if not... shame on me.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM
You still here?

One thing you need to check is that the crown race on the Time fork will be compatible with the bearings in the headset you're going to use. Time uses a plastic circular retainer with many relatively tiny bearings instead of the fewer larger bearing used in most headsets. My concern would be the shape, or curvature of the Time race not allowing full contact with the headset bearings.

Time builds fabulous bikes but does some weird stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
One thing you need to check is that the crown race on the Time fork will be compatible with the bearings in the headset you're going to use. Time uses a plastic circular retainer with many relatively tiny bearings instead of the fewer larger bearing used in most headsets. My concern would be the shape, or curvature of the Time race not allowing full contact with the headset bearings.

Time builds fabulous bikes but does some weird stuff.
True dat, Dave! In fact I have a Time Edge and the fork has a molded-in crown race on the crown.

This one has a regular flat crown, which is why I thought I could use it if I could figure out a way to compress the bearings without a top cap system.

Last edited by chismog; 04-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
True dat, Dave! In fact I have a Time Edge and the fork has a molded-in crown race on the crown.

This one has a regular flat crown race, which is why I thought I could use it if I could figure out a way to compress the bearings without a top cap system.
Great! Honey's idea is spot on. I shoulda thought it.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM

They sell a system for BMXs.. it is a long ass bolt with a piece in the bottom an the usual top cap. U got the idea. the bottom piece has a thread... you drop the long bolt then thread it to the lower piece... tight and ready to go. Cant remember the name of the thing but i have seen in ebay i believe.

Second option... doesnt look like the x stuff i nthe middle is touching the walls of the steering tube. If thats the case then why not try to cut like 3 cms out of the top and then use a expander or something?
Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 AM

I can't believe it was 7 years ago when I posted this. My how time flies! I still have the fork. This was the solution, in case it helps anyone else:

It's basically an adjustable spacer. You thread the top piece down into the collar as far as it will go, squish your stem down to remove play, and then thread the top piece back out until your headset preload is perfect. The small set screw keeps it all in place.

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ..._spacer_-_6547

This was not the Quickset or even close to it. This spacer was the only system I found that would work. Pretty sure I have the Time-specific version but it looks 98% the same.

Last edited by chismog; 11-13-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
I can't believe it was 7 years ago when I posted this.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 AM

I have the same fork in 1 1/8, and they're fabulous forks. Seven years, huh?
The solution at the time (snarf snarf) was to use a Time Beartrap (expanding headset spacer) or a similar USE Ring-O-Star.
Neither is excellent, but the Beartrap still works, still works loose, and needs occasional adjustment; the Ring-O-Star was junk. Expensive junk.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:30 AM

I have the one inch version of that fork too. I ended up contacting Time and they sent me a quickset for free. It was an 1 1/8, but it worked great with a shim. Pretty sure it came straight from France.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 AM

I'm all curious.
Can only find this video when I search for Time quickset. It's a cool feature but how does the fork (steerer), stem and headset stay secured?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgI_6qbBqU
Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM

TIME quickset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I'm all curious.
Can only find this video when I search for Time quickset. It's a cool feature but how does the fork (steerer), stem and headset stay secured?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgI_6qbBqU
The quickset allows one to adjust the headset bearings independent of the stem being mounted or installed by turning the ring as demonstrated in the video. Once the headset bearing compression is set, the user can add or remove the stem or spacers without needing to readjust the headset. Its a neat feature when working out fitting and position. Mine has been set & forget, rarely requires adjusting

The TIME fork steerer is incredibly strong with Kevlar woven into the carbon fibers and does not use a traditional compression plug. Instead there is a simple slip fit plug/top cap
Old 11-14-2019, 12:41 PM

Would be nice to see the whole system in action.
Too bad they don't license it out.