Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Steamer pal, thanks for sharing your experience and tricks, that looks awesome!
Oh, one other thing I should mention is that the bag is a bit wide. The bike I mounted them on has 46cm bars and it's fine there, but I'd say that if one's bars are narrower than 44cm, you might feel the need to modify the bag to make it narrower.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Oh, one other thing I should mention is that the bag is a bit wide. The bike I mounted them on has 46cm bars and it's fine there, but I'd say that if one's bars are narrower than 44cm, you might feel the need to modify the bag to make it narrower.
yes I discovered that too. Lucky me, I use 44cm bars.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:34 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Just saw this Charles. Its velcro but I ended up buying some straps from roadrunner bags because I think that system is bad.

There is not a lot of flopping around because you also attach a 3rd mounting point on the HT (just like swift and road runner bags) and keeps the bag pretty sturdy.
Thanks Paulo. Just to make sure I understand you: it comes with a 3rd mounting point for the HT, but you didn't like the velcro bar mounts that it comes with so you upgraded to non-velcro (?) roadrunner straps?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Bumping this awesome and super-useful thread.

After a 200k brevet yesterday where the Lezyne GPS flaked on me (again), I'm realizing that I need something to hold a cue sheet as backup.

I really like the looks/size/vibe of the Ruthworks bags, but I can't decide between the Ultralight and the Micah

Any holders of these with POV on one vs the other?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 AM

KaiVentures just came onto my radar. They make two sizes of handlebar bag, and a number of other bags, both stock and custom. Their selection of colors isn't as wide as, say, Rickshaw, but it's decent. I have not ordered from them, but I'm considering. Here's one Youtuber's review.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Also, Post makes a bag with the zipper positioned in front of the bag, rather than towards the top. They say that:

Quote:
The zipper is positioned to give you access inside even with an out-front computer.
They did not say if it was accessible while riding, and I suspect not. The zipper is covered by a magnetic flap. It does have two side pockets like the Rickshaw and Ornot bags.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Andrew The Maker's Granny Pantry

https://www.andrewthemaker.com/shop/grannys-pantry

Shows sold out, but that was a limited pre-sale when he first released it.

I would imagine you could get one made if interested.

IMO...one of the best of the bunch.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM

As one who rides 40cm bars and uses the tops alot, i appreciate this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Google handlebar bag and mount...combination was about $25 on Amazon. I have a RoadRunner large Burrito that's well built, made in USA, etc., but the $10 bag does the same job with a zipper that's easier to access on the fly. The mount is nice as you have hand space and the bag doesn't press on the cables.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post

After a 200k brevet yesterday where the Lezyne GPS flaked on me (again), I'm realizing that I need something to hold a cue sheet as backup.

I really like the looks/size/vibe of the Ruthworks bags, but I can't decide between the Ultralight and the Micah

I've got a Ruthworks Ultralight Brevet and Swift Bandito. The Bandito is a little bigger and definitely wider. I run narrow bars and the narrower Brevet gives me just enough room on the tops. The depth of the Brevet means that it can be a little harder to dig out things on the bottom. So, while the bag is easy to access while riding, if you stuff the bag you're going to have to be careful about not letting things fly away while you're rooting around. If I had wider bars, I'd probably do the Micah. As it is, I run the Brevet on my my road and gravel bikes and the Bandito on my mountain bike.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Yanco Customs
only the best!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
As one who rides 40cm bars and uses the tops alot, i appreciate this!
Do you have a link on Amazon? Or are the parts (mount and bag) sold separately? I've got a similar mount on my touring bike for accessories like a cell phone mount, front light, and bell and like it a lot. Seems like a great idea for a burrito bag style handlebar bag.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post

Wow. 7 Months later—sorry I didn’t check the thread. I have a reckless brevet and a regular rando bag. I can send photos of both if you still need
Old 03-11-2020, 07:00 PM

KaiVenture Bags

Prior to this thread, I had not heard of KaiVenture Bags. After looking at a number of vendors’ offerings, I decided to purchased a KaiVenture’s Kustom Allday bar bag.

https://kaiventurebags.com/collections/bar-bags

For their custom bags, they have many choices with regard to colors, materials, pockets, etc. I asked if they could add attachments for number plates common to gravel races as well as a couple other additions. They were happy to accommodate, and these changes turned out great.

The bag is competitively priced ($70), especially for the custom options. Overall, it is amazingly nice – exceptionally well design and constructed. Plus, they were very helpful and pleasant during our email correspondence.

Their tool pallets and cycling wallets look pretty great, too. I plan to be a repeat customer.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:10 PM

I’ve used a small cuben fiber dry bag from my backpacking bear with 2 Voile straps to secure to the bar. You can’t get the complete hand hold on the bar tops, but this is very light and slim for smaller loads.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 PM

Updated the first post, thanks!

Thanks for everyone who's shared.. I've added: Dill Pickle Gear, North Street, KaiVenture, Relevate, and TopoDesigns.

I'm tempted to omit Relevate and Topo from the list since they're better known companies unlike the smaller makers.

Tags
bags, burrito, handlebar bags, randonneur