Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 11:30 AM

More tubeless questions....

Considering making the jump from latex tubes to tubeless....

1. I have HED Jet blacks that are tubeless compatible and have hooked rims. Do I need anything special to get the tire inflated? I thought I had read that you need a very quick burst of air to initially get them to seat? But is that moot with a hooked rim?

2. What is everyone's go to sealant? This is for triathlon, and I'm guessing I'd be using Conti GP5000's, either 25 or 28mm, but open to suggestions! Flat prevention is prob my priority, speed secondary but don't want something ridiculously slow...

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2023, 11:44 AM

Road tires typically need a blast of air to seat. I even had to do it with some 38s on a gravel wheelset. I have a Schwalbe air blaster that I pump up with my floor pump to 120+ psi, depending on the tire size. It won't put 120 psi in your tire, but it usually gives a good enough inrush of air to seat the tire. Use generous amounts of soapy water to lubricate the sidewalls. With the air blaster, remove the core so the air can flow freely. I typically seat my tires and let them sit inflated for 20-30 minutes before deflating, removing the core, and injecting sealant. I use Orange Seal, but Stans was just as good. Orange Seal was more available at the time.

For MTB tires, I typically seat them with a floor pump with the sealant already added. Again, I use a lot of soapy water. I have an old water bottle with dish soap and water.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:38 PM

Changes every time, even on the same rim with the same tire. You need as much air as it takes. Having a compressor handy is pretty much a necessity, in my experience. It's honestly why I own one.

I don't do road tubeless; MTB have been much easier and can often seat with a track pump.

For me, orange seal has been the go to for years.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:30 PM

My first try, I seated the tires (front and rear) with my floor pump. I had no idea this was unusual. Until my second try. Ended up with an Airshot, basically a one-at-a-time compressor you charge with your floor pump. Works for me.

I use OrangeSeal, which ever version is cheaper. It also works for me. Has sealed several punctures on my road bike with 25s (same ones you're planning on using. Nice tires). Did not on my lower volume gravel tires, so I have to look sideways at anyone who insists that tubeless won't work with "high pressure" road tires. They are usually 1) running some silly pressure or 2) never tried it.

http://www.airshotltd.com/airshot/
Old 06-01-2023, 03:43 PM

It comes down to the specific combination of tire and rim, and honestly the condition of each, as well. There's no set rule of thumb.

I like to do a dry run without sealant to get a feel for how well the tire is going to inflate and whether the beads will set.

In my experience, the smaller the tire volume, the more air that is needed. The worst combinations of rim and tire I've come across were 2015-vintage Specialized Axis aluminum rims and any cyclocross tires. This combo required me to remove the valve core and use my air compressor with a nozzle that fits into the valve stem body (sans valve core), inflating the tire til the beads pop into place, and then quickly pulling the air nozzle, sealing the stem with my finger, and installing the valve core before the majority of the air escapes and the beads come off.

Another trick for a stubborn combination of tire and rim-- install the tire with a tube, and then remove the tube carefully and leave one bead completely hooked. Then install your tubeless valve and continue. This is obviously best attempted BEFORE you've add your sealant.

MTB stuff is magnitudes easier, likely doable without compressed air (I've not tried it, since I have a large compressor in the garage and a smaller one in the basement shop).

I've been using Orange Seal for years with no complaints.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:46 PM

Expect to buy a compressor or one of these pumpable air chamber deali-os for a quick blast.

I've never seated a tire with a simple floor pump and just can't imagine how it would work so I'm envious of those that have been successful. And that goes for road/CX/or MTB tires. Dang.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
My first try, I seated the tires (front and rear) with my floor pump. I had no idea this was unusual. Until my second try. Ended up with an Airshot, basically a one-at-a-time compressor you charge with your floor pump. Works for me.

I use OrangeSeal, which ever version is cheaper. It also works for me. Has sealed several punctures on my road bike with 25s (same ones you're planning on using. Nice tires). Did not on my lower volume gravel tires, so I have to look sideways at anyone who insists that tubeless won't work with "high pressure" road tires. They are usually 1) running some silly pressure or 2) never tried it.

http://www.airshotltd.com/airshot/
Have you been happy with the Airshot? I don't need more pumps and it's less expensive to boot.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:49 PM
n - 1

Other than setting up ghetto tubeless in the early days of mountain bike tires, I’ve never used a compressor or specialized pumps.

Mount the tire, spray soapy water all around, then pump. Sometimes, you do need to remove the valve core to seat it. I’ve mounted countless tires this way. Mountain and road.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Have you been happy with the Airshot? I don't need more pumps and it's less expensive to boot.
Yes. I've used it quite a few times, and my only niggle so far is the valve got bent after just a few uses. Never broke, continued to work fine, not bad enough to even see if I can replace it like a normal valve core. Otherwise, does exactly what it is supposed to.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Considering making the jump from latex tubes to tubeless....

1. I have HED Jet blacks that are tubeless compatible and have hooked rims. Do I need anything special to get the tire inflated? I thought I had read that you need a very quick burst of air to initially get them to seat? But is that moot with a hooked rim?

2. What is everyone's go to sealant? This is for triathlon, and I'm guessing I'd be using Conti GP5000's, either 25 or 28mm, but open to suggestions! Flat prevention is prob my priority, speed secondary but don't want something ridiculously slow...

Thanks!
If you tape the wheel well, and use tape that is the proper width, you may be able to seat road tires with a regular pump. I seat 28mm Conti 5000s with my Silca. It’s not a great idea to use a compressor on many types of carbon rims. Air can be forced into the layup and cause the wheel to delaminate. Check with the manufacturer.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:49 PM

If you use tubes

You just pump them up and change an occasional flat. Not which pump, which sealant, which valves, which compressor, which tire wheel combination, hookless or not, which Silca product removes old sealant and makes your tires smell good.

Last edited by eddief; 06-20-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
You just pump them up and change an occasional flat. Not which pump, which sealant, which valves, which compressor, which tire wheel combination, hookless or not, which Silca product removes old sealant and makes your tires smell good.
Nothing perks up the day like the same old, whiny comments about how tubes are better. Thanks for that. Added a lot to the discussion.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 PM

There's nothing more to add...

Yet we keep discussing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Nothing perks up the day like the same old, whiny comments about how tubes are better. Thanks for that. Added a lot to the discussion.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
There is a skillset to using tubes as well. You have to make sure your rim tape is on well, you have to have the right size tube, valve, etc. You need to insert a floppy tube in that tire. You need to make sure it isn't pinched before you start pumping. These are all easy and second nature to most of us because we have been doing them for years. We can't imagine anyone who can't do this. Yet go to any big bike shop, they get paid to do it all day long as this seems difficult to lots of people.

It is the same with tubeless. Coming from mtb, I have been using tubeless for well over 10 years. It is super easy for me. I sometimes can't understand how so many people have so much trouble. But I am empathetic to others who don't have the experience and don't understand the tricks/tips/skills that come with that experience.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Everything has a process new and old, even your e-bike battery.