Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 05:56 AM

Where next for Campagnolo?

The generally lukewarm response to the new groupset and some thinking on my part got me thinking: what’s the future direction for Campagnolo?

To be clear from the outset, I’m a Campagnolo fan, and have had at least one bike in the stable with their stuff on since I had my first job and could afford it. So the intent here is absolutely not to bash them.

But I just can't really grasp what they're trying to do at the moment. What I do I mean by that?

To me, I’m not sure the new groupset will attract many people who aren’t already committed to the brand, but they seem to have removed a number of features that their typical target market likes. To take just one, the thumbshifter was divisive, yes, but it was a selling point to as many people (me included) as it was a turn off. And it makes way more sense in electronic format.

Next, they can’t have missed the runaway success of Rival AXS, the emergence of 105 Di2, and the shift of the market towards electronic, but (at least for the moment) have steadfastly refused to offer electronic below SR (I know people will counter this with ‘but Athena EPS’ etc, but that was a long time ago in tech terms – things have moved on). Slightly perversely, they have also apparently more or less ruled out a WL Ekar, despite obvious demand, and despite it being painfully obvious that the groupset has some niggles that electronic would largely solve.

Meanwhile, they’re now on the fence with mechanical(!), with statements at the SR WL press launch that they ‘will let the market decide’. That’s non-committal at best and will worry their core market. That statement also implies no new mechanical offering is in the works.

More concerningly, for me at least, is that (for the first time) they seem a bit less, well, relevant. First, there isn't much youth appeal: today’s 20 somethings aren’t generally looking at Campagnolo. That means their future 40 year old selves, with careers that have progressed and more disposable income, probably aren’t suddenly going to switch to the future equivalent of SR WL when they can afford it. Next, there’s likely to be no pro tour representation beyond this year, in addition, and that further erodes future appeal (and doesn't chime with their heritage). They can't be 'the brand for racers' if no one races on their equipment at WT level. Finally, their days of catering to traditionalists seem numbered.

With all of this, then, what is the direction of travel here? Are we going to see a gradual overhaul of the whole range, with WL offerings at Ultegra and DA level equivalents? Or do they not really know?

My own view is that they have failed to read the market for the last few years and having missed the boat a bit, are now trying to position themselves as an exclusively (very) upscale product and I'm not sure that's a strategy for success. I think they're in danger of alienating their current buyers without necessarily attracting new ones.

To round off, this isn’t a shrill ‘Campagnolo is dying’ moan. It’s more an expression of curiosity and concern – where do they go from here? - that is born out of seeing probably the only cycling brand I have anything resembling affection for move (or fail to move) in a direction that seems wrong to me.

I hope this is received in the spirit of genuine discussion in which it’s intended.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:16 AM
Huffing Mastik

Not much to add to a well-written post. I agree with all your concerns.

Overall, I like the new group. However, even being squarely in their demographic its less than 50/50 that I will ever purchase it or a successor. There's a couple of reasons. First, I tend to avoid being a beta tester for gen 1 stuff. Second, while I'm fortunate that I can afford it, I seek value in my spending and I can't justify it. That might be a nice way of saying that I'm too cheap to spend $5400 on a gruppo no matter how nice. I don't think I'm alone there.

I'm not pining for silver retro tech - that's another path to business disaster. But there is zero chance that SR WRL will expand their market share. Cost alone defines that. They will need to come out with a Chorus and Centaur/Athena level WRL at Ultegra/Force and 105 prices to even begin to compete for volume and OEM. I hope that they do this as wireless winds its way down the product line.

Last edited by ldamelio; 05-31-2023 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:19 AM

I haven't quite come to terms why the release of Campags latest offering has cast a pall over the future of the brand. As we come to grips with market trends, isn't this what we would expect to be released from a forward thinking company? There has been a collective belly-ache from the cheap seats for Campag to release a wireless group, and now we have it. Rim brakes have become irrelevant, and so why would a forward thinking company continue to release them?

If Campag released a shiny, silver group at the top of the range, everyone would swoon, but we would also conclude that the company was also stirring the embers of its existence.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:29 AM

The basics of this is it is just an updated/replacement version of SR EPS just with disc brakes only, and it’s expensive.

I don’t know why everyone is crying…

Mechanical groupsets are still available and so are wheels. If people are unhappy about some pre-built wheels no longer available go find your local wheel builder and get some customs made up.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post

Mechanical groupsets are still available and so are wheels. If people are unhappy about some pre-built wheels no longer available go find your local wheel builder and get some customs made up.
This exactly.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
There is zero chance that it will expand their market share. Cost alone defines that. They will need to come out with a Chorus and Centaur/Athena level WRL at Ultegra/Force and 105 prices to even begin to compete for volume and OEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I haven't quite come to terms why the release of Campags latest offering has cast a pall over the future of the brand. As we come to grips with market trends, isn't this what we would expect to be released from a forward thinking company? There has been a collective belly-ache from the cheap seats for Campag to release a wireless group, and now we have it. Rim brakes have become irrelevant, and so why would a forward thinking company continue to release them?

If Campag released a shiny, silver group at the top of the range, everyone would swoon, but we would also conclude that the company was also stirring the embers of its existence.
Here we go again. I wonder if forums of other 'stuff' go thru the same machinations. Guitars? Espresso machines(sure that happens)? Motorcycles? Cars for sure. Toyota fans get all weak kneed when they come out with a high end go fast 'sports car', but if Ferrari made a SUV, 'there goes Ferrari, down the toilet'. Lots said that about Porsche with the Panamera.

Campagnolo, altho they make bike parts, aren't shimano nor(shudder) sram. Altho they have made inroads in OEM with Ekar, they aren't going to make a 105 or Rival level group to stuff onto trekgiantspecilalizedcannondales.
Just like a very high end anything isn't keen on getting their stuff into May Company or Target.

I know I say this a lot..but Rolex isn't going to make an entry level quartz watch either to sell at Zales.

I don't know where Campagnolo is going to be in 5 years but for TODAY, they have a superior wireless, premium group(where is the outrage with shimano 'semi-wireless' DA?? Can't they figure out how to make a full wireless one?).
Don't have the $? Are they going under??)

Campagnolo have probably the best lineup in wheels in the market.(And many Fulcrum on MTBs).
They have a full range of mechanical group sets(and at Chorus, far better than the hoo-hum Ultegra or Force) PLUS OMG, rim brake groups as well.

Oh well, here we go again..didn't we just have a thread like this? When SR WIRELESS was introduced...NO THUMB BUTTON..what? I QUIT Campagnolo!!

How about a thread on non compatibility even w/i like groups like shimano does constantly. Or beta testing sram disc brake groups that drove a recall/replacement ala Mavic Mektronic...
Quote:
PL, it's what PL sometimes does...

And Angry, right below..reality, what a concept....
Quote:
To me they are doing the right thing and moving in a sensible direction given the market and where they fit in the market.
Yup...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-31-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:44 AM
Administrator

I think the direction Campagnolo is going in is clear.

Their last release was a top notch gravel 1x group that was very affordable and answered a lot of people's needs for true gravel groupset for the latest big trend of cycling.

Their current release is their answer to the wild popularity of wireless groupset. It is their top end and expensive, but i believe the tech will come down to the record chorus and whatever level soon.

The writing was on the wall for some of the other news when they showed their flagship wheel, the Bora WTO Ultra as tubless disc only.

I bet they will continue to offer a Centaur level (or some other name) rim brake group for far into the future, but those days are over for the top groups that get the real innovation.

To me they are doing the right thing and moving in a sensible direction given the market and where they fit in the market.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:28 AM

I think they should diversify and start making carbon thumb pianos.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I think they should diversify and start making carbon thumb pianos.
Why try and intentionally derail a thread that is very much on topic for a cycling forum with complete garbage like this?
Old 05-31-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Why try and intentionally derail a thread that is very much on topic for a cycling forum with complete garbage like this?
Get a sense of humor
Old 05-31-2023, 07:51 AM

I use Sram, Shimano, and Campy (mechanical) on my bikes. While I have had mechanical issues with Sram, philosophical differences with Shimano (I do not like my brake levers to be shifters as well), these instances are not enough to swear me off any brand.

I have tried Red AXS and Dura Ace di2 (9170). Liked them both but prefer mechanical shifting. If I were to choose electronic, I would (and have) purchased DA di2. I enjoy it better than Sram REd AXS because of the longer battery charge between intervals, and (not that I need it but why not) quicker shifts. Also, di2 has been more reliable than AXS for me. DA di2 (9170) is also lighter than Red AXS. Yes, I know it is not a fair comparison (11-speed Vs 12-speed) but i am happy with 11-speed gear ratios.

So where does Campy WRL fit in for me? That's the point. Based on what i have seen with the SR WRL, I see no reason for me to include it in the comparison for new groupset shoping. DA di2 (apart from the initial wire-y installation) has been GREAT! And for me, SR WRL brings nothing new to the table.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:53 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
[snip]
I don't know where Campagnolo is going to be in 5 years but for TODAY, they have a superior wireless, premium group(where is the outrage with shimano 'semi-wireless' DA?? Can't they figure out how to make a full wireless one?).
Don't have the $? Are they going under??)[snip]

Yup...
Latest rumor......

Ratio Tech and Sepp Kuss are partnering to make a Shimano style
semi-wireless upgrade kit for SRW. Including race day spare battery
mount on the d/t, for in race battery changes.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post

I agree with all of this. Once again, Merckx has saved me the trouble of typing, but I am posting anyway as an opportunity/suggestion to read his words again.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I use Sram, Shimano, and Campy (mechanical) on my bikes. While I have had mechanical issues with Sram, philosophical differences with Shimano (I do not like my brake levers to be shifters as well), these instances are not enough to swear me off any brand.

I have tried Red AXS and Dura Ace di2 (9170). Liked them both but prefer mechanical shifting. If I were to choose electronic, I would (and have) purchased DA di2. I enjoy it better than Sram REd AXS because of the longer battery charge between intervals, and (not that I need it but why not) quicker shifts. Also, di2 has been more reliable than AXS for me. DA di2 (9170) is also lighter than Red AXS. Yes, I know it is not a fair comparison (11-speed Vs 12-speed) but i am happy with 11-speed gear ratios.

So where does Campy WRL fit in for me? That's the point. Based on what i have seen with the SR WRL, I see no reason for me to include it in the comparison for new groupset shoping. DA di2 (apart from the initial wire-y installation) has been GREAT! And for me, SR WRL brings nothing new to the table.
This, nicely summarizes where I'm at. I've had SR EPS in the past and really liked it but pricing for the new group is a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a groupo. The only reason that I've on occasion gone with SRAM Etap and AXS is the ease of use on bikes not built for wireless which is where the new Shim Di2 groups lost me a bit.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:46 AM

It is pretty clear that Campy is not Shimano or Sram. The good thing is they recognize this. They are allocating their capital towards what they can excel at, versus, as Old Spud says, pushing out some price point group for OEM sales.

(As an aside - I think they made the right call here, but wish we had more competition as opposed to just the big 2. I guess the competition will have to come from the Chinese groupsets we keep seeing popping up).

But I think the question around the SR WL group is what is the differentiator, or what makes it special enough to the consumer to be a premium choice? It offers nothing new that isn't already in the marketplace other than the name and price. So why is it even considered a premium over other offerings? It is heavier than other groups. It doesn't have a power meter. Brakes get good marks all around. Shifting seems comparable.

So why buy? Could be looks. Could be status (I would argue that the perceived status is only perceived in a very small niche of riders over 50). Let's hope the trickle down is coming. Cause right now, even as a flagship product, I just don't think it is compelling.

Last edited by KonaSS; 05-31-2023 at 08:53 AM.