Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 12:45 PM

Maybe we should ask Velotel his opinion?

Or someone who as actually ridden Sonoma County? Or near Girona? Or Italy?

I'd love to be able to teleport to the rural NE to ride regularly. And also to some parts of California. And, I'm sure, some parts of Colorado.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:13 PM

Yup, unfortunately the riding in Colorado and Boulder in particular sucks big time despite what some folks might claim. Skiing in Colorado is overrated as well. As is hiking, backpacking, white water rafting, kayaking, fishing, hunting, etc, etc. To make matters worse Boulder has over 100,000 residents and only one Dunkin Donuts. Move back to New England while you're still able and tell your friends to avoid this state like the plague.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Speaking of Dunks, Are there still Tim Hortons all over the place in New England?? I never did like their doughnuts as much as Dunks.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Speaking of Dunks, Are there still Tim Hortons all over the place in New England?? I never did like their doughnuts as much as Dunks.
You must be thinking of New France (aka Canada). Unless its a recent invasion, I don’t recall Tim Horton’s creeping into the Northeast states much.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
You must be thinking of New France (aka Canada). Unless its a recent invasion, I don’t recall Tim Horton’s creeping into the Northeast states much.
I lived in RI for some years in the early 2000's and that's all that was around me at the time.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
To make matters worse Boulder has over 100,000 residents and only one Dunkin Donuts.
To make matters worse, it doesn't even stay open all night!
Old 05-30-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I lived in RI for some years in the early 2000's and that's all that was around me at the time.
After a big NE push, Tim Horton's shut it all down in 2010.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:33 PM

LOL Tim Hortons, that would be cool.

I had to go look, there are none in VT, NH, MA, or RI.

They have them in NY and Maine, lots and lots of them in NY.

Coffee and donuts/pastries is very crowded in NE though, it wouldn't be easy for Tim's to really get a foothold unless they're really good.

I haven't had Tim Hortons in 20+ years since I haven't been traveling in Canada in a long time.. but that reminds me we SHOULD travel in Canada. Great place to visit.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:37 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Having just spent almost three weeks riding around various parts of Tuscany and Elba Island, I can answer this question emphatically: yes, and this is just one spot. This isn't a knock on NE riding but ...

there are plenty of great places to ride if you expand your vision.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:48 PM

The best place to ride for me is where my wheels are at the moment, on today's ride. I've ridden my fair share of mountains and not, west, east, northeast and south, on and off-road, overseas and the great USA. I've found there are places in each location that still send me to lala land when I bring up the memories. I now live in super flat SW Florida and in the middle of the winter, it gets my vote. I agree with the comment above that variety is what makes cycling great. Judging only muddies the water.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:50 PM

Writing from Boston, the largest city in NE - terrible and erratic drivers, hilariously awful street conditions, poorly placed bike lanes, local Craigslist market is boring, too narrow of a window of nice weather. Also a shortage of good food stops during a ride. I am happily moving back to Northern California in two weeks!
Old 05-30-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I have a vague memory of one in downtown Providence. I lived there for a year in 1999, and then again from 2006-2011.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:08 PM
Head to Ned

The fact that the cycling season is only6 or 7 months in NE is actually a very good thing. I would hate having it 'available' all year long. Taking a break from it in the off season and doing other great outdoor activities is what keeps things fresh and not burn out on it. Having four distinct seasons is one of the best parts of New England!
Old 05-30-2023, 03:31 PM

My wife and I got married in Burlington, VT and lived there for several years. I wasn't riding as much then but the riding was fine, just not the best I have experienced.

We moved to the Danville/Bloomsburg area of rural north central PA in the Susquehanna Valley. The riding and the views there were phenomenal when looking out from a high point over the Susquehanna river and its valley. I think that that riding was my favorite as far as emotional attachment.

Now in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the riding is great but not as spectacular as in our PA home. The thing I like about Virginia is the extensive recorded history, from Jamestown, thru 1619, thru slavery and the plantations which are still here as historical sites, thru the civil war, and on. The riding is fine but that is not why we live here. My wife also has a network of friends here since she taught for 30 years in the VA school system.

Last edited by dcama5; 05-31-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:28 PM

I love the potholes in NE, none finer.