Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2023, 10:39 AM

Custom Rock Lobster vs Tarmac SL6

Hope its not a silly question to ask, but 3 years on after cancelling my deposit for a Rock Lobster, I have now gone back one full circle and am now again curious if I should get myself in the queue for a RL.

Just some context: 3 years back, I was still new to the world of steel bikes and I just wanted to scratch an itch. I was planning to build a modern steel rim brake RL but backed out when I realized I should explore more before I settle on a custom bike. Not long later, I found a good deal on a Fat Chance Slim Chance 2.0. I then found myself racing crits and had a go at road racing. Fast forward to the present, I've joined a local racing team and am now quite hooked on racing just for the fun of it, but nothing overly serious.

I am now riding a S-Works Tarmac SL6, and its a super bike to me. It's fast, light and I can't imagine a bike performing any better, value-wise. For reference, I paid about $3.6K for the bike w SR12, EE brakes but no wheels. I had a pair of Campy Bora 50s lying around.

Here are my thoughts:
1. I miss riding my Fat Chance. It was in the aquafade colorway and I get "Streetcred" for riding a unique steel bike. It's nice to have a bike that no one has and it's nice to keep up on a steel bike. Rock Lobster really appeals to me. Seafoam green w yellow decals, supporting a one-man show, and hearing all the good things about Paul Sadoff...just makes me want to give it a shot

2. The Fat Chance was a fine bike, but its a donkey compared to the Tarmac. The Tarmac just makes me want to go fast! I also had an opportunity to ride a Pinarello F10 and that is a different beast altogether on the flats, it accelerates better than the Tarmac.

3. I like rim brakes and mechanical (I have a new set of R12 grouset lying around), but feel like my next bike should be a disc brake so that I can race without fear in the wet. Currently, the Tarmac on EEbrakes brakes is fine, but I do feel less confident in the wet.

4. Ideally, I want to build a bike around sub 7.2kg?

So the question that I have been pondering about is...would a custom Alu RL be an upgrade to the Tarmac SL6?

Let me know what are your thoughts!

Last edited by dvnzzz; 05-29-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:49 AM
Back At It!

so I've never really heard about a disappointed RL owner.. Paul is certainly a super nice guy that knows what he is doing.. and finally, there will be a point in the future where Paul will hang the torch up I assume.. if you have the urge, I'd get in line now..

will the RL be an upgrade to the SL6? hard to say because it depends what you are looking for.. will anyone ever pay you to ride a bike? If the answer is no, why not get the RL that you obviously really want? I have no idea if an RL will perform as well as an SL6 in a pure race situation, but what is your heart telling you? My feeling is most of us will usually never outride the limits of the bike (I know I never will)..
Old 05-29-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnzzz View Post
So the question that I have been pondering about is...would a custom Alu RL be an upgrade to the Tarmac SL6? Let me know what are your thoughts!
I doubt it will be an upgrade if the Tarmac fits. I personally would much prefer the RL, but I no longer race. Also not a fan of disc's except for MTB. IMHO, YMMV etc.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:06 AM

I went from a Supersix Evo hm to a steel English. Swapped all the parts over. Steel did not slow me down. The geometry, ride feel, and overall handling of the English is what I was after. In that aspect yes it was an upgrade. Talk to the RL, tell him what you are after, I'm sure he is more than capable of hitting the mark.

The weight is easily achievable with proper component selection. My English even with t47, 44mm ht, 44mm dt is dead on 6.8kg with pedals.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:21 AM

I own an RL and can confirm its a great bike. I also love the mystique behind it.

If you are racing and the bike is a tool, I cannot imagine that you can beat a great fitting Tarmac - they're considered very highly in the bike world, except for the grind that people have with Specialized as a company.

I dont think an RL would be an upgrade, performance-wise, but if you want the street cred, it also wont hold you back, I am sure.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnzzz View Post
So the question that I have been pondering about is...would a custom Alu RL be an upgrade to the Tarmac SL6?
No.

A bike's a bike and neither choice will magically transform your riding.

As you said; a custom steel bike WILL give you street cred and pride in owning something unique. That's one reason why I own custom bikes.

Also, in my opinion you don't want to race a custom frame. Crashes are an inevitable part of racing and the expense of damaging a custom frame is not worth the risk unless someone else is paying the bill. Save a custom frame for solo riding or group rides (where the risk is lower than racing).

Order the Rock Lobster if it scratches that itch. Keep the Tarmac for racing and stop looking for that special "something" that will put you on the podium.

I'm a Rock Lobster owner and I approve this message!
Old 05-29-2023, 01:01 PM

Do it if you want the street cred.

It may be different than the Tarmac. It may be as good as the Tarmac. It will not be better than the Tarmac assuming your Tarmac fits.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:13 PM
Two wheels good

Comments like the one below make me wish our posts had a "Like" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
No.

A bike's a bike and neither choice will magically transform your riding.

As you said; a custom steel bike WILL give you street cred and pride in owning something unique. That's one reason why I own custom bikes.

Also, in my opinion you don't want to race a custom frame. Crashes are an inevitable part of racing and the expense of damaging a custom frame is not worth the risk unless someone else is paying the bill. Save a custom frame for solo riding or group rides (where the risk is lower than racing).

Order the Rock Lobster if it scratches that itch. Keep the Tarmac for racing and stop looking for that special "something" that will put you on the podium.

I'm a Rock Lobster owner and I approve this message!
Old 05-29-2023, 01:22 PM

I guess it comes down to your goals. Did you want to win races or look “cool”? If win is the goal, the Tarmac is without a doubt a better bike. And this comes from a guy that used to race a steel RL.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:01 PM
shimergo

Echoing what others have already said. The Tarmac SL6 is superior for your needs (assuming it fits, etc.) over the RL. Any chance you can swing both the SL6 (racing) and the RL (non-racing/JRA)?

I say this as a RL owner who's very happy with my frame. I had a Cervelo Aspero that did everything the RL does and was arguably faster. As Peter P. pointed out, I wanted something unique and ended up getting on Paul's waitlist. I'm more than satisfied with the end product, but I don't race. The "street cred" is real though.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:22 PM

I have raced on steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber since the 70s. My last couple of race bikes were Tarmacs. They are the most capable race bike I have ever owned. Don't get me wrong, I love riding custom steel, it just feels nicer. But to race on, the Tarmac is a pretty affordable, very capable bike that I wouldn't feel bad about whatever happens to it in a race.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:27 PM

In my brief, undistinguished racing career, I rode the bike that I didn't mind so much if I crashed it.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:43 PM
Back At It!

so you all know Paul makes RLs to race, right? I mean I can appreciate not wanting to lay your custom bike down in a crit, but that's pretty much Paul's history (racing, not laying a bike down)..

as has been said, the Tarmac is a fantastic bike for the task at hand, for sure.. but, as I alluded to before, I doubt many of us on this forum would be able to outride the Tarmac or RL..

I would see nothing wrong with racing an RL.. although you would need to decide if you want crit geometry or road race.. just tell Paul what you want and he can build it for you I'm certain. and, of course, be OK if you did lay the bike down..
Old 05-29-2023, 05:21 PM

I doubt you’ll regret getting a Rock Lobster.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:34 PM

Is Rock Lobster a one-man show? I thought he had employee(s)…doesn’t change anything. Just curious.