Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2022, 12:08 PM
Proud Grandpa

EKAR shifter guts into rim brake body

NightHawk nice enough to send me an EKAR lever and..........

No problem. Have to use all the rear sift guts including the funky thumb button from disc outward...and the 13s tooth bushing in the front. The 13s/EKAR shift lever blade is slightly different shape but the 13s shift lever blade would probably work fine in an otherwise 11s/12s body.

As I suspected, Campag makes some small changes but the basic design is the same as 11s/12s Ultrashift.

So wanna a rim brake, 13s 1by rig?? It IS possible altho a lot of effort and $ for just one extra gear.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:18 PM

I kinda want to…

Have you confirmed the freehub fits a 130mm qr hub?
Old 12-29-2022, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Good to know. The advantage is not one extra gear; the advantage is opening up the option to use the ekar rd and go 1x rim brake.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Good to know. The advantage is not one extra gear; the advantage is opening up the option to use the ekar rd and go 1x with Delta brakes.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:36 PM

When the 13spd Ekar "guts" are transplanted into a standard Ultra-Shift body, is one able to do multiple shifts towards smaller sprockets? As I understand it, on the native "Ekar" shifters you are limited to one shift at a time toward smaller sprockets, and that limit is set by a movement stop built into the shifter body (shortened thumb lever slot).
Old 12-29-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When the 13spd Ekar "guts" are transplanted into a standard Ultra-Shift body, is one able to do multiple shifts towards smaller sprockets? As I understand it, on the native "Ekar" shifters you are limited to one shift at a time toward smaller sprockets, and that limit is set by a movement stop built into the shifter body (shortened thumb lever slot).
Exactly my question, +1
Old 12-29-2022, 04:08 PM

Wonder if Ratio Tech will come out with a Campy upgrade kit for the daring.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
They must be working on it. They would be crazy not to, and they are not crazy.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
They must be working on it. They would be crazy not to, and they are not crazy.

so you mean Campag 2x10/11/12 levers upgrade to 1x13? Yes, great idea.
Do you envision removing the front shifter guts from the left lever, just leaving it or dropper’ing it?

Instagram
Old 12-29-2022, 09:07 PM

First of all, may the bike gods bless you for finally resolving this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
As for this, I emailed them ~a year back about this and they said they weren’t working on any solutions around a campy shifter because they saw little market for it
Old 12-30-2022, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I kinda want to…

Have you confirmed the freehub fits a 130mm qr hub?
No, just mucking with the levers.

I've 'heard' that with a new axle, the N3W FHB will fit non 13s rear hubs. But don't know.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Yup, it's there and I think it's 2 or 3, just not a dump..It's a post in the body right below the thumb button across the thumb button 'slot', same as the post in the 12s LH lever. Without the post, in a 12s body, yup, can dump..just like 11s(and 10s)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f287fe967ace74b0c7cf56614c9716fb.jpg (46.9 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-01-2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:55 PM
#RYFB

Resurrecting this because the idea of going 1x with Ekar on a canti bike appeals. Instead of just emailing OP directly I thought I'd ask her for everyone's benefit.

Specifically, assuming one had an older shifter body to use, exactly which Ekar parts would one need to order in order to build this Frankenstein shifter? And roughly how much would they cost?

Also, which older shifters will work -- any 10/11/12? Must have the actual thumb button and not the droopy version?

Edit: any clarification on the hub requirements to use an Ekar cassette? I had thought that as long as the hub mfgr provided the N3W adapter it would work, but I realize I hadn't thought through the 130 vs 135 piece. FWIW, I'd likely be using an older Campy wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cgolvin; 05-31-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:57 AM
Strong Walker

maybe this helps

https://www.rosebikes.com/campagnolo...o-hubs-2700055

"All existing Campagnolo wheels for disc brakes can be converted to the N3W™ freehub standard to make them compatible with cassettes with 9 or 10 tooth starting sprockets (e.g. Campagnolo Ekar 13-speed cassettes).

As older wheels have a smaller axle diameter than those of the new generation (30 mm compared to 33 mm), a kit is required for the conversion (axle + centring + N3W™ freehub body).
Which kit you need depends on the bearing used in the rear wheel hub.

Technology:

• N3W™ – NEXT 3 WAYS:
The Campagnolo N3W™ freehub body has the same groove profile as the Campagnolo Classic freehub body. However, it is 4.4 mm shorter, which ensures direct compatibility with Campagnolo cassettes that have a smallest sprocket of 9 or 10 teeth (e.g. Campagnolo Ekar 13-speed cassettes). To make it compatible with all Campagnolo cassettes with at least 11-tooth starting sprockets, simply place an adapter on the freewheel which makes it the same length as the Classic freehub body.

Available in the following versions:
• AC21-N3WRFCC for slide and cone bearing system (e.g. ZONDA DB, BORA WTO DB series, BORA ONE DB series, SHAMAL ULTRA DB)
• AC21-N3WRFCS for sealed groove ball bearings (e.g. SCIROCCO DB)
Please indicate your choice.

ATTENTION:
12 x 142 mm is the ONLY rear wheel axle that is compatible with N3W™!

In the box:
• 1 Campagnolo N3W™ conversion kit
Attention:
The N3W™ adapter (AC21-N3W) for adapting the freehub body to Campagnolo cassettes with at least 11-tooth starting sprocket (e.g. 10-/11-/12-speed Campagnolo cassettes) is NOT included!
"
Old 06-01-2023, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Resurrecting this because the idea of going 1x with Ekar on a canti bike appeals. Instead of just emailing OP directly I thought I'd ask her for everyone's benefit.

Specifically, assuming one had an older shifter body to use, exactly which Ekar parts would one need to order in order to build this Frankenstein shifter? And roughly how much would they cost?

Also, which older shifters will work -- any 10/11/12? Must have the actual thumb button and not the droopy version?

Edit: any clarification on the hub requirements to use an Ekar cassette? I had thought that as long as the hub mfgr provided the N3W adapter it would work, but I realize I hadn't thought through the 130 vs 135 piece. FWIW, I'd likely be using an older Campy wheel.

Thanks in advance.
No shift guts any longer from Campagnolo, shift 'assemblies' only so you'd have to buy a RH EKAR shifter and remove the guts, front to back. It would be easier, I think, with a complete 11s shifter as you would only need the rear shift disc and tooth bushing in the front but use the same shift lever blade and thumb button.

Plus the body would have to be a Gumby shaped, 11s, Ultrashift body. Not any 'droopy thumb button' one, that's PowerShift and the guts won't fit into it.

Pretty sure with an older 10s/11s/12s wheel you need a axle and N3W free hub body also not sure about that. BUT not sure about finding an QR axle that is compatible with the 13s N3W FHB. Looking above, ONLY disc brake wheels can be converted, not QR wheels

As an aside, I HAVE examined an EKAR shifter but didn't take it apart. Didn't want to much with the disc brake piston, etc but it sure looked like it was possible.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-02-2023 at 07:22 AM.