Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2022, 12:22 PM

Did some more looking and found these:

https://glorycycles.com/fsa-energy-s...-386-crankset/

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...C-RX810-2.html

Not silver though. I think the Sugino is the nicest looking but it is expensive.
The Shimano GRX has a wider range with 31/48 rings Also I found this:

Shimano GRX cranksets feature a +2.5mm outboard chainline, which improves rear tire clearance, making room for wide gravel tires. This also means that the GRX crank’s Q-Factor is +2.5mm wider on each side compared to Shimano road cranks. Due to the wider crank and chainline, GRX cranks must be used in conjunction with a GRX front derailleur for 2x11 and 2x10 drivetrains.

If the chainline is 2.5mm outboard does that mean it no longer lines up with the center of the cassette? Is 2.5mm negligible in this case?

I have always felt my gears could all be lower, the 11T almost never gets used.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:31 PM

You can always get an old square taper 110/74bcd triple and run it as a double. Plenty of those on the bay, many by sugino.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I haven't used any of those, but I have used Sugino OX cranks. These are a double crank with a 110mm BCD outer chainring and a 74mm BCD inner chainring. These also work with special extra-long chainring bolts to use 110mm BCD chainrings in both the inner and outer positions. Chainrings are available to make a variety of combinations, including 44/28, 46/30, 48/32, 50/34, 52/36, etc.

Cranks and chainrings are available in silver and black, in lengths from 160mm to 175mm. They have a 24mm spindle (so they work with Shimano Hollowtech II type bottom brackets), and have a chainline of 43.5mm and a Q factor of 145mm. They are compatible with both 10spd and 11spd.

I've used these with both a 44/28 and 48/32 combination, and I've been quite happy with them. More information on the Sugino website.
I have these as well in 46/30 and black (OX-901). They are great. They do come in silver but may look more modern than you want (aesthetic is better for threadless, oversized tubes, etc.).
Old 05-02-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Did some more looking and found these:

https://glorycycles.com/fsa-energy-s...-386-crankset/

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...C-RX810-2.html

If the chainline is 2.5mm outboard does that mean it no longer lines up with the center of the cassette? Is 2.5mm negligible in this case?

I have always felt my gears could all be lower, the 11T almost never gets used.
It means it's designed around a bike with 135mm (or 142mm through axle). If using a traditional 130mm QR frame it won't line up with the middle of the cassette. Using the big cogs with the big ring (say 46/27, and very helpful with a ultra-compact) will have bad cross chaining and may even be prone to drop to the little ring.

The Sugino OX-901 is one of the only options I know that uses a Shimano Hollowtech style BB, has well ramped/pinned chainrings for good shifts across the massive range, and has a road chainline/Q-Factor.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
The Sugino OX-901 is one of the only options I know that uses a Shimano Hollowtech style BB, has well ramped/pinned chainrings for good shifts across the massive range, and has a road chainline/Q-Factor.
I've been pretty happy with my Dixna La crankset paired with TA Zephyr/Zelito chainrings.

A friend made this spreadsheet with a lot of information about sub-compact "nerd" cranks.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfuturist View Post
A friend made this spreadsheet with a lot of information about sub-compact "nerd" cranks.

super helpful spreadsheet! And all of the above comments! For years it was just 52/42 and go! But back then our legs were made of steel and backs from rubber!
Old 05-02-2022, 02:15 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:

wow that spreadsheet is terrific.

I have the Easton EA90 crank/chainring setup. Not silver though.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I've been pretty happy with my Dixna La crankset paired with TA Zephyr/Zelito chainrings.

Wow that is an impressive spreadsheet. I hadn't even heard of like 80% of those. Does still look like the Sugino OX is one of the better options ($$$ though).
Old 05-02-2022, 02:49 PM

Dixna LA crank with TA chainrings... Under $275 when paired with a Shimano BB

Old 05-02-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Awesome spreadsheet.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:10 PM

I'm going with velo orange; they are great looking, light, and a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2022, 06:40 AM

For those who have the Sugino OX, did you purchase them from the Japanese Sugino website?

(I’ve been eyeballing these, but aside from used ones on eBay, there doesn’t seem to be a US source).
Old 05-03-2022, 07:22 AM
Forward the Foundation

I got one from Soma Fab aka Merry Sales.
Also Alex Cycles in Japan has a newer version, the OX2

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...4?category=759

https://alexscycle.com/collections/r...-plus-crankset
Old 05-03-2022, 07:29 AM

+1 for Merry Sales co. Blue Lug also sells them I believe. Endpoint (the folks behind the Coffee Grinder) sells the 601D but I just checked and it’s out of stock. I guess the 601D isn’t quite as nice finish-wise compared to the 901 but imo it’s still a very nice crank. Only seen the black one in person and it’s pretty classy.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
For those who have the Sugino OX, did you purchase them from the Japanese Sugino website?

(I’ve been eyeballing these, but aside from used ones on eBay, there doesn’t seem to be a US source).
I got mine from Dolan Bikes in the UK better part of six years ago. That was shortly after Brexit (pound got thrashed) and while it was still easy to import cheap bike parts to the US from the UK.

Just checked and they still seem to have them although price is up about 50% from 2016

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/sugino-0...bracket-black/