Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 06:08 AM

Shimano 10 Speed Cassette with Campy 10 Speed Drive Train

I had bought a used set of Campy Eurus wheels that had a 10 speed cassette on it.

Put wheels on bike and it shifts perfect ,figured I got lucky got a cassette that matches my chains wear.

Fast forward a coupe-of years and I order a new cassette and chain. Shop calls me to tell me that it is a Shimano Freehub. Fortunately, I have a wrecked Proton rear wheel and it has a proper Campy freehub.

My question is why did this shift perfectly when the pull and cog differences are different between Campy and Shimano. Were there any cassettes from other manufacturers that used Shimano freehub and Campy spacing?
Old 06-01-2023, 06:30 AM

Possible it was a conversion cassette that worked with Shimano freehub and Campagnolo spacing. IRD and Wheels Manufacturing made them.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:27 PM

If your rear derailer is of the older type (with a regular "B-tension" screw), the reduced actuation (increased leverage) will actually jibe perfectly with Shimano/SRAM 10s cassettes.

Perhaps also someone tinkered with the cable attachment at the pinch bolt, placing the cable a bit further from the pinch bolt(???).
Old 06-01-2023, 02:22 PM

My other wheels had a Campy cassette and no issues there that would imply tinkering to make it work
Old 06-01-2023, 02:43 PM

Campy 10 drive train

is the same as nine speed Shimano, so go ahead and grind up the nine speed cogs.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:45 PM

Hah, I used to race on a setup like this in college when I found a good deal on used campy stuff for a bike I was building and a good deal on shimano wheels.

Worked just fine!
Old 06-04-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web1111a View Post
My question is why did this shift perfectly when the pull and cog differences are different between Campy and Shimano. Were there any cassettes from other manufacturers that used Shimano freehub and Campy spacing?
American Classic also made them. I have one somewhere. A touch wider than the Campy cassette.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
is the same as nine speed Shimano, so go ahead and grind up the nine speed cogs.
This works so great it's the setup on our tandem. I "speak" Campy for shifting so I stuck some Campy 10s shifters on the otherwise 9s Shimano bike. Even with the super long cables (other than grinding down head a bit to fit the shifter, no mods, no changes in housing, but I attached cable to "wrong" side of pinch bolt) it works perfectly.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Campagnolo 10spd and Shimano 9spd are somewhat close, but not the same. In fact, Shimano 9spd is halfway between Campagnolo 9spd and Campagnolo 10spd:

Campagnolo 9spd: 4.55mm between centers
Shimano 10spd: 4.35mm between centers
Campagnolo 10spd: 4.15mm between centers

(from https://bike.bikegremlin.com/3573/bi...ngs-standards/)

Some have mixed and matched Shimano 9spd with either Campagnolo 9spd or Campagnolo 10spd, and while the chain will generally shift across the cassette, the shifting at the ends of the cassette are not as smooth/quick/reliable as with a matched drivetrain. If I needed a spare wheel to finish a ride and only a mismatch was available, I'd use it, but when I have a choice I prefer the performance of matched set.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:08 PM

i got me the Campy 10 shifters and rear mech

Using nine speed Shimano cogs and then 10 speed chain, works great
Old 06-04-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Using nine speed Shimano cogs and then 10 speed chain, works great
I think that the relatively narrower chain is helping here, preventing contact with the adjacent larger cog when the indexing is a little off.
Using the "right" or best (perhaps moderner) chain for the particular combination is key, and is why some of the early indexing gruppos like Synchro can actually work better today than they ever did back in the day.
Hopefully the performance of the chain pick-up during shifts across the range is at least good while the cables are in good order(?).