Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 12:32 PM

Campy Chorus EPS 11spd

Anyone have experience with this group set ? Are pets
easily available. thanks
Old 05-31-2023, 12:34 PM

...plenty of great pets available at animal shelters everywhere !
Old 05-31-2023, 12:55 PM

No. Parts are not readily available. Derailleurs are discontinued. Fronts are available (I have one listed in Classifieds). but rears are hens teeth. Batteries-if the group has a V1 battery, its likely failed unless never left to go dead-most of them have died, with a few notable exceptions. V2 batteries are discontinued. I just sold a working spare for 175 on ebay, which is where I bought it, but first I'd seen in a long time. And it seems that folks are having v2 batteries starting to die now.
V3 batteries are available but not directly compatible as they have the record/sr connectors. You can change out the connectors as the internal wire colors are the same but its tedious-each connector requires soldering 6 very fine wires, and you'll have to do 4 of them if you don't have some Record/SR parts. Plus the cost of a extention cable kit. Interfaces have been on backorder for months.
A couple months back Competive/Planet Bikes liquidated all of their Chorus/Athena stuff-scored a pair of Athena levers for 50 bucks, about what the hoods cost, and a f/d for similar. Passed on an r/d for 300ish, which seems foolish now.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:14 PM

This seems to be the norm with electronic shifting components. Compatible parts go out of production in just a few years, leaving the rest of the group orphaned. In contrast, mechanical components have much longer production lifespans. You might not be able to buy a brand new Dura-Ace 10spd dual control shifter today, but you can buy a brand new Shimano 10spd dual control shifter from another group that'll work just fine with the rest of your 20 year old 10spd Dura-Ace group. Campagnolo has been particularly good at this - you can get both the internal service parts for most 9spd & 10spd shifters (and some 8spd shifters), and complete shifter assemblies for 10spd Record, Chorus, Athena, Centaur and Veloce shifters.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbof View Post
Anyone have experience with this group set ? Are parts
easily available. thanks
Pretty much gone, much like early versions or di2 and etap..But Campagnolo, so somebody will whine about Campagnolo.

I have first gen Athena EPS, v1 battery and it still works just fine. Got it in 2012...Chorus was essentially Athena, with unique connectors.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Pretty much gone, much like early versions or di2 and etap..But Campagnolo, so somebody will whine about Campagnolo.

I have first gen Athena EPS, v1 battery and it still works just fine. Got it in 2012...Chorus was essentially Athena, with unique connectors.
Not whining. I get that it can't be supported forever, but the only thing that fails is the battery, and those they make available for the upper groups still. The lower groups just need the connectors. So it's be nice if someone, even not Campy, made an adapter cable...
And that's my gripe. Across the range the system was the same, the only differences being in finish and connectors.
And fwiw, Chorus and Athena share the same connector, Chorus's isn't unique.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Not whining. I get that it can't be supported forever, but the only thing that fails is the battery, and those they make available for the upper groups still. The lower groups just need the connectors. So it's be nice if someone, even not Campy, made an adapter cable...
And that's my gripe. Across the range the system was the same, the only differences being in finish and connectors.
And fwiw, Chorus and Athena share the same connector, Chorus's isn't unique.
Wasn't directed at you but from the other 2 or 3 threads about Campag in general and the wireless threads...Gets frustrating BUT.

Yup, Chorus and Athena used unique connectors but to use a Chorus der, needed a 'Chorus' interface as well.