Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 11:46 AM

Both.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:58 AM

Just to be clear, if I get a RL, I'll get it in aluminum. Makes the most sense, since this is what he excels at, and its the material of choice for his race team.

I agree it's hard to beat the Tarmac performance-wise. I just wanted to hear from anyone who has had both bikes. For me, the jump from my Fat Chance to the Tarmac is immense, and I can never go back to the Fat Chance in a race situation. The Tarmac just makes me want to go fast every time I pedal.

I typically ride my Serotta HC or C40 Mapei for zone 2 rides, then hop on my Tarmac for the fast rides.

So, in that sense, if I wanted to build a snappy, fast-accelerating aluminum RL, it can be done, just that it will never be an "upgrade" to the Tarmac?

Also, street cred is just nice to have hahaha. In a sea of carbon bikes, a seafoam RL would be really awesome, though I'd need to sell some of my current bikes before I even consider putting down a deposit...

Last edited by dvnzzz; 05-30-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:13 PM

Rock Lobster all day

The alu is racy. For me it would be steel.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:09 PM

Seems like apples and oranges to me. You seem happy with the Tarmac and (judging by the feedback of current RL owners) you'd be happy on the RL too. No bad options!
Old 05-30-2023, 01:11 PM

I had Paul build me a custom 29er based on the geometry of an S-Works hardtail I was riding. It rode very poorly compared to the carbon bike it was trying to reproduce and I ended up selling it. I still ride that S-Works.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Specialized knows how to make a race bike. For the purposes described I’d stick with that bike.

That said; I firmly believe any even semi serious cyclists needs two bikes. It’s criminal to miss a big ride; race or training session due to equipment out of service; so if you can swing it get the RL as an addition.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:09 PM

My SL6 is lighter, stiffer and more comfortable than my Moots RSL. Modern carbon is hard to beat. But my Moots can take a punch (and it has) and still be perfectly fine.

Regarding disc brakes....if you really like rim, just get some HED Jet Black wheels. They are phenomenal in the wet.

For me the reason to go to discs is about tire size. I can get 28s to fit in my SL6, but not without compromising the aerodynamics of the tire/wheel system. If you believe in the rule of 105, then you need wide rims for wide tires, and you can't do that with rim brakes on a race bike.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:46 PM

I have a 2014 Cannondale EVO which is dated by todays standards but still a light and fast carbon bike. Last year I got a custom steel frame from Mercian.
I always thought I never needed custom geometry because I could always adjust the bars and saddle where I needed it to be. But as I got into designing the new frame it became apparent that due to my short legs / arms and long torso that what I ended up with was far from stock geometry and probably most similar to a Cannondale Synapse. I also wanted a longer wheelbase for more comfort and stability. The Mercian weighs 2 lbs more than my Cannondale but is always the bike I reach for. Maybe because it is new, I don't know but it could be the way it fits and rides. I don't race so even if it is a tiny bit slower it doesn't matter at all.

Last edited by deluz; 05-30-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:04 PM

Another

perspective.

Owned the SL3, great bike, also owned a Jamis Xenith SL team frame, which in my lousy opinion was better than the SL3 in handling and road feel. Have owned multipe Lobsters in both steel and aluminum-the horror, I know.

However, design, fit and geometry should come before material, but that is for another day.

I owned the Pez aluminum bike (look up the review), what a sublime electric ride. Would take that one over them all.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:14 AM

Thanks all for the inputs! The Tarmac fits me great and I have no complaints. It rides amazing and isn't overly stiff that I'll feel uncomfortable on long rides.

An aluminum RL is most certainly an itch to scratch...its a want, not a need

I wonder how long is his waitlist now, during the covid period, it was about a year and a half?
Old 05-31-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
The alu is racy. For me it would be steel.
Yeah, I was looking at the Alu because I wanted a racy, snappy bike.

I have ridden steel, so if I do get a custom RL, it would be aluminum. Unless I ever find a need for a gravel/all road bike. But where I am at, there isn't much gravel routes worth exploring
Old 05-31-2023, 12:22 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnzzz View Post
I wonder how long is his waitlist now, during the covid period, it was about a year and a half?
I'd give him a ring. My wait last year was quoted at 1 year out but ended up being only 7-8 months. He does them in batches depending on steel or aluminum.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:50 PM

I'd think about it as how old are you, how many years of racing left, and what level you are at and is it really meaningful to be racing on bikes that fancy/nice.

I'd probably think even the Tarmac was a lot of bike to risk in Cat 3/4/5. It can be toast in the blink of an eye if you get caught up in a big crash.

I'd kind of say the RL if you want it is something you should get, but would also not be great to race as it's even harder to replace.

If money is/was an issue I'd sell the Tarmac, get a similar fitting Specialized in aluminum that's cheap and you won't mind it getting destroyed, then get the RL and save it for non racing days.

I mean certainly you need a 2nd race bike if you're serious and the Tarmac is all you have.. you can easily be a racer with 0 bikes pretty quick.

I'm kind of at the point I could race one of these carbon bikes and not really be put out financially if I destroyed it. When I was racing I was not at that point. But I'd still feel like an absolute chump destroying a frame worth $2k+ racing for peanuts.

Last edited by benb; 05-31-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:05 PM
i ride to eat.

Custom RL