Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 01:18 PM

I heard a rumor for a sequel

They are planning a new series called Not-Smartmatic. Can't wait for that one.

Last edited by eddief; 05-31-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:55 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Meh, Watched the whole thing and 90% of the diologue is High handed, short-choppy jabs ending in "...yeah". With an Fbomb tossed for spice (in the way Arby's uses salt).

It's 100% above-it-all-white&wealthy ignorance as aspirational.

That said, I watched every episode and was surprised at the end...

"we're bull5h!t" could have happened in episode 1 and they could have wrapped with that, but another 3.9 seasons were needed to sell "the dream".
Regarding the dialogue, I viewed that as a jab at how all the corporate speak they used(and is used in actual corporations) is filler BS where nothing is actually said while a lot of words are said. Succession nailed the overuse of corporate-speak.
And yes, a lot of sentences ended in 'yeah', especially from Kendall. I took it as he had the influence without having actually earned it. Its like if I were thrust into that position just because my dad was successful, I would end a ton of sentences like that.

The way they spoke with each other on the phone and to their bio-mom was great too because they would never commit. None of them could ever say no, they would just suggest the idea or offer soon be looked at further. Or that 'maybe' that idea could happen, only to hang up and criticize the idea.
Non-confrontation by all of them. Contrast that with their dad who was abrasive and overly confrontational, and who had succeeded in growing the brand to where it was.

Maybe I read too much into all this, or maybe the characters were deeper than you give credit.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:54 PM

I consider myself a 'tough audience' and found Succession to be entertaining.

my biggest complaint with many high-profile series is that they usually have far too many episodes and become lethargic and tedious (looking at you, Breaking Bad, Sopranos). so much lazy writing in the latter portions of both.

the Wire is a notable exception, thought it was tight from start to finish.

back to Succession, they could have ended things at the end of the first season and I would have considered it a brilliant conclusion. but, the succeeding seasons were fine.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:01 PM

For some reason I made it part way through season 2. Seemed like a lot of overacting and ridiculous story lines.

Jeff