Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 03-09-2023, 07:41 PM

LA Tourist Race this weekend

I’ll be lost in the mountains doing the LA Tourist Race this weekend. Anybody else here joining? If you see someone going very slowly uphill on a big Rivendell Atlantis, that’s probably me.
https://latouristrace.com/
Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 PM
#RYFB

Best of luck, I couldn't find a route on the site. Previous incarnations didn't really strike my fancy.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:53 PM

You plot your own route based on coordinates of a few checkpoints sent out this week. This is my first time trying it, so I’m curious how it goes. I’ll post some pics in the ride thread.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:31 PM
#RYFB

If you're willing to share those coordinates, here or via PM, I'd be curious to see how I might plot a route.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:30 PM

I love the format of these races... Its sort of Transcontinental meets Alleycat... And I love how they literally took a page out of the Barkley Marathons book in regards to the checkpoints.

I'd love to see something like this, on a bit larger of a scale, think 3 checkpoints spread across CA, or UT for example. All Points North utilizes this format in the UK.

I wasn't able to find any sample screenshots of peoples routes from past events, but based on the winning times(sub 2 hours), there were some efficient and direct routes. I love that you can kind of choose your own adventure/bike/route by taking on some dirt shortcuts if you're up for it, or poach a railway line.
Enjoy! Let us know how it goes, and what your ride looks like!

Last edited by Upcountry; 03-10-2023 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:22 PM
Anthonys

How did this race go? Did the atlantis perform well? Ive got an atlantis too!
Old 05-31-2023, 12:32 AM

Thanks for checking in on this — I actually had to miss the ride because of an unexpected family obligation. So it goes. I did recently ride my Atlantis in the LA Invitational, which is similar to the LA Tourist races in terms of terrain. I did the Triple Scoop, 52 miles and about 7,300 feet of climbing (about 60% dirt, and some pretty steep dirt climbs). I did the same ride last year — only changes to I swapped in v-brakes for my old cantilevers and they were a huge improvement. I needed some lower gearing on the steepest dirt climbs this year. I was running a 46/30 and 11-34 cassette and I couldn’t clean some steep rocky sections with the 30/34 combo. Had to stay seated or I lost traction (43mm GK tires) and just bogged down. I’ve since swapped in an XT 11-40 cassette, which the GRX rear derailleur shifts fine. Also swapped in some 55mm tires, so it’s very mid-‘80s MTB at the moment. On the way home, I actually passed another guy on an Atlantis near the Rose Bowl, which is the first one I’ve seen in LA other than mine.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:50 PM
Anthonys

That’s awesome! I did the triple scoop last year and it was deathly hot. I didn’t get the chance to go this year, but the route looked great. I also have the atlantis and its been a fun bike to ride.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:57 AM

This has turned into the bike of apparent incompatibilities, all of which actually work great — standard pull drop bar brake levers with v-brakes (work with travel agents), 9-speed chainring with otherwise 11-speed drivetrain, 11-40 cassette with 34-tooth rated rear derailleur (some b-screw adjustment and it works fine). I’m changing the chainrings to a 42/29 (can’t fit a 28 on the crank) and will see how that is with the steep dirt climbs around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0764.jpg (154.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Xrslug; 06-06-2023 at 07:59 AM.