Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2024, 10:07 PM

Source for disc brake centerlock rotor shims

Anyone have a source for these? The only ones I have found are a 4-pack for $20.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
Anyone have a source for these? The only ones I have found are a 4-pack for $20.
10 pack for $19

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...IaAu3oEALw_wcB
Old 09-25-2024, 06:53 AM

Thanks. Still $31.25 for 10 w/ shipping & tax. Over $3 per still seems to be a lot for these?
Old 09-25-2024, 07:01 AM

Which size .25mm?

I have some 1mm
Old 09-25-2024, 07:30 AM

I’m looking to fine tune rotors across several wheelsets so I can stop trying to micro adjust the calipers themselves.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:43 AM

Didn't check the shipping cost, but Boyd has them

https://boydcycling.com/collections/...or-shim-4-pack
Old 09-25-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
I’m looking to fine tune rotors across several wheelsets so I can stop trying to micro adjust the calipers themselves.
Yep

I suggest .25mm versions and stack as needed.

Boyd and November both have em. Probably others if you search hard...
Old 09-25-2024, 07:59 AM

Found these - they appear to be the Jagwire center lock rotor shims even though they're listed as lockring washers.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Jagwir...him-Spacer-Kit
Old 09-25-2024, 08:37 AM

November
https://novemberbicycles.com/product...shim-pack-of-4
Old 09-25-2024, 08:40 AM

A brief history of these things. In 2016, as the owner of disc cx and road bikes and running a wheel company, I was changing wheels on disc bikes A LOT. Got sick of adjusting calipers, and ordered a pack of "good enough" shims on McMaster. They didn't fit perfectly and they were expensive (McMaster smokes you on shipping) but they were effective.

As others on various forums expressed having the same issue as disc brakes became more popular, I would regularly post the product page on McMaster, but people wanted to buy them from us for whatever reason. Eventually we started selling enough of them that I investigated having the exact right shim made, and we felt the numbers worked so we did it.

Over time, one or two others ripped us off and made their own copies of them, but surprisingly no bigger companies have made them a product.

Selling expenses are very high for these things. To compare these to what you'd pay for a stainless washer in a hardware store, produced in runs of multiple millions, doesn't work.

From my very biased opinion, the price charged to comprehensively solve the problem is more than fair.

The ID of the Jagwire ones is too small. Those will not work for this purpose. I've also found that the .25mm increment is perfect. One per hub usually does the job, sometimes two are needed.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:46 AM

That Universal Cycles listing is likely mirroring what is in stock at QBP. Your LBS should be able to order that set and as long as they do it with a larger order there likely won't be a shipping penalty associated.

As an aside, if you're ever wondering if QBP has an item in stock then checking Universal should give you a good idea. If Universal shows no stock then QBP definitely doesn't have it.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I've used these to space out my second wheelset, very nice stuff.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
A brief history of these things. In 2016, as the owner of disc cx and road bikes and running a wheel company, I was changing wheels on disc bikes A LOT. Got sick of adjusting calipers, and ordered a pack of "good enough" shims on McMaster. They didn't fit perfectly and they were expensive (McMaster smokes you on shipping) but they were effective.

As others on various forums expressed having the same issue as disc brakes became more popular, I would regularly post the product page on McMaster, but people wanted to buy them from us for whatever reason. Eventually we started selling enough of them that I investigated having the exact right shim made, and we felt the numbers worked so we did it.

Over time, one or two others ripped us off and made their own copies of them, but surprisingly no bigger companies have made them a product.

Selling expenses are very high for these things. To compare these to what you'd pay for a stainless washer in a hardware store, produced in runs of multiple millions, doesn't work.

From my very biased opinion, the price charged to comprehensively solve the problem is more than fair.

The ID of the Jagwire ones is too small. Those will not work for this purpose. I've also found that the .25mm increment is perfect. One per hub usually does the job, sometimes two are needed.
+1 on this. I bought the November shims and wheel swaps take about 2 minutes now. Well worth the $ to have the right product to do the job once, correctly.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:08 AM

Agree with the above re: Dave and November. Mine work perfectly.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap_az View Post
That Universal Cycles listing is likely mirroring what is in stock at QBP. Your LBS should be able to order that set and as long as they do it with a larger order there likely won't be a shipping penalty associated.

As an aside, if you're ever wondering if QBP has an item in stock then checking Universal should give you a good idea. If Universal shows no stock then QBP definitely doesn't have it.
I don’t think this is totally accurate. UC has their own inventory.